Over weight and Driving

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidnightStarr

Reaction score
This might be a silly question but here it goes...

I'm a little over weight and i plan on driving.. I wouldn't want to hurt my mini in anyway but i still love driving.

I have seen men that are bigger than me and they drive minis and they dont seem to have a problem but i just wanted a little advise..

What do you guys think?!?!

Feel free to post pics of you driving.. i LOVE pictures :bgrin

Thanks everyone.

Kaylin

Welcome Kaylin- that is a very sensible question, and not silly at all.

The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked!!

First off how big is the horses and what sort of build is he??

I, too, am a bit overweight. I make sure the horse is in condition to drive with me in the cart. I have several that drive and any one of them will gladly take me anywhere I want to go, but I pay attention and don't let them get too hot or work too long with me in the cart. I think this is the way for anyone to drive. My husband and I have both been in a cart behind an under sized mini that would not slow from a trot on a smooth straight a way (no hills) until we made him slow down and walk and then went out to play with his buddies after being unharnessed like he had been in the stall for two days. You really need to just pay attention to your horse.

Angie

Plenty of us who drive could stand to loose a few pounds, myself included!!! An average size, in shape mini can pull two adults on flat ground for a long time... I think you're probably going to be just fine. If you have a husband or someone else who can help you, have them sit in your cart and you just pull them for a minute. It will set your mind at ease because it's really not very hard to pull a cart, especially one that's well balanced.

Here's a picture of me in a cart with my 31" former stallion (now one of my beloved geldings). Just sitting still but gives you an idea and this horse could pull both myself and my husband.

Derby%20and%20Jill%20Houghton%20Cart.jpg

I am beyond overweight and I drive a 33 1/2 gelding who has no trouble pulling me in my Pacific Smart Cart. I just have to be careful in selecting where I drive. Until I can walk better (knee replacement), no hills as I need to get out and walk on the steep ones, he can handle the shorter ones and the not so steep. At shows, if the footing is deep, I won't show as that is too hard for him, but last year that happened only one time at a small AMHR show.

I drive this horse on trail drives, our favorite is to trot six miles out, picnic or rest, then trot the six back with some walking breaks coming and going. On our last trip he wasn't in condition and was pretty sweaty and tired, but not too much to make me feel guilty. Don't forget, in a well balanced cart on level ground, the horse isn't really feeling much weight.

Never underestimate the strength of these little ones..

I am not overweight, but, I have had Willie pull all different ranges of weight. He has pulled me, my dad, my mom, my friend's parents, my cousins, my brother, and my friends... And some of us together! And through all of that he hasn't looked strained with anyone. He is also tiny.. He measured 30.75" at my last show!

Here is a picture of him for reference..

SummerShow1d023.jpg

Miniatures were originally bred as draft animals and you would be surprized at how much they can pull. My 33.5" stallion used to pull my grown daughter and myself and sometimes a tiny grandkid as well, with NO problems at all. Never even cracked a sweat, nor did he have to strain.

Horses can pull much more weight than they can carry (this goes for all breeds) so hook up and have FUN!!!

thanks everyone.. this has made me ffel A LOT better!

rabbitsfizz---

Whisper(barnbum's filly..soon to be mine :bgrin ) is i think 32''

She's quite a chunky thing
default_wub.png
:
default_wink.png
:

I'm overweight also. Bubba is 32" and the only time I see him having problems pulling is in deeper footing...so I try to avoid that.

scan0001-1.jpg

Latest posts

Back