Our first open show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holly at WhiteTailsMinis

Reaction score
I would first like to thank everyone that gave us their advise and experience.It was very helpful. Marlene and I stayed up till almost Midnight, the night before the show, working on my shirt. We did it ourselves.

So here is how I did. The first class I entered was Novice Senior Showmanship. This was my first time ever trying that. I got 2nd place.

The second show I did was Confirmation 2 year olds and under. I got 2nd place. There were 2 big horses with me and I beat a biggie!

Then at the last minute we decided to try In-Hand Trail Novice Horse. I placed 3rd, beating 2 biggies!

It was both (the horse and I) first time doing In-hand trail. I never practiced with him for that class.

We were so excited. I cant wait for the next open show! It was so much fun.

Here are the pictures from the show! There are no pictures of the trail class as Marlene was to busy watching me, LOL! Again thank you everyone!!!!

DSCN7634.jpg

DSCN7614.jpg

DSCN7613.jpg

DSCN7606.jpg

DSCN7640.jpg

MORE PHOTOS COMING SEE NEXT POST

Last edited by a moderator:
DSCN7628.jpg

DSCN7615.jpg

DSCN7614.jpg

THANKS EVERYONE FOR LETTING ME SHARE MY FIST TIME SHOWING!!

Please share any critics. I want to learn more. I will take everything to stride. I will not be offended in any way. Thanks All!!!

Congratulations on a first successful show!! And I LOVE the shirt!!! A couple of comments (since you did ask): The end of the lead should be held in the left hand (if your are holding the mini with the right) for showmanship. You can coil it (but don't wrap it around the hand), or just go back and forth with it so it is neat. For halter you may want to let the lead out and take it up during the class, so you will be juggling with it a lot more than in showmanship, so what you do with the end is less important. Just keep it off the ground anyway.

I am not sure how your number is attached to that lovely shirt but if you do this often you might consider the number clips that slip over the collar and hold your number. You can get them plain or with nice conchos. Or you can buy number pins or magnets which do the same thing.

Holly and Destiny both did great considering Holly had never stepped foot on a show ground before. LOL And Destiny hasn't been that close to those big monsters in his life! LOL I kept telling Holly to keep her distance from the biggies.

It wasn't until I looked at photos afterwards that I realized the lead was on the ground most of the time - we'll work harder on that one for sure. I was too excited watching her out there and didn't even get pics of the trail class as I forgot the camera was even on my shoulder. LOL

We did the 2 year old and under conformation so we didn't have to worry about appropriate dress (rather than selecting a Stock or Hunter specific class). But honestly, there were three other minis there in certain classes so next time we'll go up against them instead - I'd rather beat (or lose) to another mini than a biggie anyway. LOL

We made our own shirt - heavens to betsy! LOL Holly found the shirt at the Thrift store for $4 and I went to Joanne Fabrics/Michaels and got appliques which we ironed on the shirt, rhinestone trim we put around the cuffs and collar and then sewed on these triangular button studs on the tips of the colllar. LOL She looked just as good as anyone else there! ha

the safety pins holding the number wasn't bad considering, but I'd definitely look into the collar holder you mention if we buy an expensive shirt. LOL

Here's a close-up of our team effort on a shirt at the last minute (literally midnight the night before):

DSCN7603.jpg

DSCN7604.jpg

DSCN7623.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
default_aktion033.gif
Congrats!
default_aktion033.gif
What great pics. Love the shirt. You looked so crisp, clean and neat. You also have a beautiful horse to show. Good luck on your next show adventure.
default_biggrin.png

You both look great! Congratulations! I'm glad you had fun!

Good job!

Only thing I can add to this is don't wear blue jeans to show. You should wear pants in a dark color to go with the shirt and with a higher waist.

Also work on teaching your horse to stand more square, I noticed he was stretched in a few. Did you use hoof polish? It didn't look like it, that is something you will want to add to your show routine.

You look beautiful Holly and Destiny looks fantastic. So glad you did well and now have the show bug! I will have to try to come see you show your boy. The Holly Destiny fan club....

Thanks everyone. I didnt realize that the lead was on the ground, lol. I was a bit nervous and trying to watch the judge.

Lol.

I will consider the darker pants. I was told that jeans were fine to wear. So I wore the jeans. But will remember the darker pants for next time.

I did put polish on his hooves. You cant really tell because the ground and the sand were wet as it had rained. I actually had the poslish all over my hands. LOL. I still have it underneath my finger nails. LOL.

Thank you everyone. Your comments are welcome. Like I said I want to learn the right way to show.

The shirt is great - congrats to you both on that one.

The horse is a little over stretched in some of the photos. Try to get him to stand more square and learn to "pop him back" (that is an upward flip of the lead) to get him not to lean towards the front. After he gets the idea of standing "square" underhimself then try to get him "interested" in something to extend his neck and head.

I agree that darker pants (black jeans or black slacks)would look better with the shirt. Take a look at what the judge is wearing. The pants really are all that flattering (higher waist)but it's what everyone wears.

Now you've "got the show bug", have fun!

You guys look fantastic! How exciting! :yeahCongrats on your wins, I love that you were showing against biggies
default_biggrin.png

One more thing, and I am sure some will not agree, but you should be wearing black gloves also.

Hey, you got your first one out of the way, you will learn as you go.

Congratulations Holly and Destiny!!! What a fantastic job! And the shirt is gorgeous. You girls have so many talents.
aktion033.gif

wow, the shirt is gorgeous, you did a great job! And you looked great in it! So glad you had a good time. My only comment, keep your upper body up, bend at the knees, not bend over. You both did a great job, you should be proud.

Thank you! I will work more with him. I will take every ones advise to heart. I am still learning. It looks so much easier when you watch someone else, lol.

Thanks on the shirt. It was fun doing it! We both thought it turned out really well. Those western shirts are expensive, lol.

Again thank you everyone! I will most certainly do everything that ya'll are saying.

Yes the show bug! LOL. I love it.

p.s. going to see if I cant get them to start Liberty~ LOL. Keep the comments/advise coming please~ I need all that I can get~

Holly fan here!
default_aktion033.gif
The horse looked really pretty and in very nice condition. Love the creative touch on your shirt too That was really cool. Yea, for daytime showing, try some dressy black jeans. Also glad to see you were in so many classes your first time out kiddo you got guts! Congrats and oh.....love the ribbon on your left boob, adds something special to the outfit!
default_risa_suelos.gif

Good yob 'man!!! Gotta luv ya:FirstPrize

Wow Thanks so much Marty. Too bad my shirt didnt have another pocket or I would have had both the ribbons on each boob! LOL.

Yep going to do the black pants. Next month cant come any soon, lol.

I wish there were mini shows around here. But I guess this is good enough. I can practice at least. I think the judge new about AMHA!!

Destiny was such a good boy. He "mean mugged" all the biggies, lol. People were chuckling when he would start to whinny and carry on when a big horse walked by. I would say " he is a BIG BOY in a little body". :p

You guys look great!! I wish I had your guts...I would love to be out there.... the open shows are fine for me....Im just not that brave. Your shirt is truly "to die for" it looks very professional! Great job!!

Latest posts

Back