Opinions welcomed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
Of course Jimmy already drives but I'm considering sending him to Dorothy along with Koda Bear to be trained as a team. What do you think? I think they would look awesome in a parade. Of course for awhile Jimmy would be there to keep Koda sane. Then they could have fun driving Jimmy around to get Koda use to the idea because if Dad will do it Koda will.

KodaandJimmy002-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally, around here they start a horse as a single and then move to pairs, unless you have a good solid Belgian to hook them to.
wink.gif

All kidding aside, it's kind of an "archaic" method of training to hook the unbroke horse to the broke one. I suppose some Amish do it, but it really isn't what the carriage world would consider a "trained" horse. Send the single, then train them for the pair. And...driving a pair is not just as easy as driving a single. The driver can become the "third wheel" in the group as the two horses plot against him/her!
rolleyes.gif
Make sure you are well versed in driving a single before attempting another configuation. See drivingpairs.com for more info.

JMHO,

Myrna

Generally, around here they start a horse as a single and then move to pairs, unless you have a good solid Belgian to hook them to.
wink.gif

All kidding aside, it's kind of an "archaic" method of training to hook the unbroke horse to the broke one. I suppose some Amish do it, but it really isn't what the carriage world would consider a "trained" horse. Send the single, then train them for the pair. And...driving a pair is not just as easy as driving a single. The driver can become the "third wheel" in the group as the two horses plot against him/her!
rolleyes.gif
Make sure you are well versed in driving a single before attempting another configuation. See drivingpairs.com for more info.

JMHO,

Myrna

Actually Jimmy is going along to keep Koda company and be there after Koda is trained to start the team driving. No intention of hooking an untrained horse with a trained horse. We had a team of horses previously but that's another story, still have both horses just one can't be driven anymore.

Other than that I figure they will make a good team as they move alike and are joined at the hip.

Marie

Latest posts

Back