Thunder Cycle or Aerocrown??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I got to thinking about Thunder’s upcoming training. We are working on ground driving now and he is doing AMAZING! .… and of course roller skating - he is a pro there too…. 😊 but come spring/early summer I plan to hook him up to the cart. I am just not sure which cart I should hook him up to, I want him to have a pleasant and enjoyable experience. I don’t think you are suppose to use a bike, the Thunder Cycle, to cart train but why? My Aerocrown weighs 90 pounds and Thunder only weighs 120 pounds. My bike weighs only 38 pounds and would probably be easier for him. Why do they say you shouldn’t train a horse on a bike? Why do people say you should use a “training cart” which in my case would be my Aerocrown? Any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated. I feel very secure and grounded in both carts, I just can’t figure out why one shouldn’t start off cart training a horse in a bike??

Last edited:
I've wondered that as well....I figure if they're started in a bike then that's what they will be used to (but, what do I know 😆 )
I've heard it has something to do with the light weight of the bike.
I'll be interested to hear the opinions of knowledgeable people...especially since I was planning on using a bike (whenever we get to that point).

I am curious too. The only thing I can think of is if they get upset and start bucking when you are so close in the bike. Possibly a saftey issue for the driver? IDK
I did like starting Rocko in the easy entry I had and he did struggle with the weight of the Aerocrown when I first started him in it, mostly just going up an incline.
I bet Mindy could advise on this subject!

Hopefully Mindy will chime in too but I think it's partly your proximity to the horse's rear end, and partly that you can't just hop in and out of a bike as easily as you can an easy-entry style cart. There is a moment where you're standing between the horse and the cart which could be dicey if the horse isn't trustworthy. I guess maybe the heavier weight might make them less inclined to try any shenanigans since they have to work hard enough just to pull it?

TBH Kelly, with Thunder being so tiny and with such a calm personality, I'd be inclined to start him in what is easy for him. It's going to be really hard for him to pull a regular cart with a person in it and you don't want him to get discouraged. But there may be other reasons I haven't thought of not to do it. Just seems that if you start with a drag and faux shafts like normal it should be OK to go straight to the bike in his case.

Zorro started his driving in the Hyperbike. So I am not the best one to explain WHY people can't start them in the bikes 😆

But I'll make a guess! I would say most people don't spend enough time with the ground work and having them pull a travois and maybe a sled first. So they want a heavier starting cart hoping the pony will be less likely to pull shenanigans. Instead I take my time training all the basics and have them super solid before I hitch to ANY vehicle. So I felt 100% confident hitching Zorro to the bike.

I will say that now he is a little hesitant to "put his back into it" if I hitch him to something heavier. He isn't into working super hard at all. LOL! I don't mind as I really only like to drive my KBike anyway. But someday I would like to drive him with Oliver and a 4-wheeled vehicle. Hopefully at that time I can find a fun lightweight 4 wheeled vehicle that won't offend Zorro 🤣

Here is the blog about the first time I hitched Zorro to the Hyperbike. It also outlines why being CLOSER to their tail is best. LOL!

Zorro’s 1st Drive in the Hyperbike!

Sweet! I think I will start him on the bike then. But like i said, I won’t hook him until next spring/summer depending on him and how training is going. Oh yes I will start him with the traditional drag and travois. I don’t have a sled or snow here in Texas 🤣 but I think him pulling me roller skating is helping too, well can’t hurt anyways.

No way I would start my ”Wild Child” Breezy on the bike, he is getting so big and I would want the heaviness of my Aerocrown working in my favor. 😍

Thank you guys for all the help and insight!! 💕💕
Thanks for the great article Mindy!

Latest posts

Back