OMG -- and I thought I had problems

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluerocket

Reaction score
Husband, Wife Discover They're Twins

By THOMAS WAGNER,

AP

Posted: 2008-01-11 17:24:15

LONDON (Jan. 11) - Twins who were separated at birth got married without realizing they were brother and sister, a lawmaker said, urging more information be provided on birth certificates for adopted children.

A court annulled the British couple's union after they discovered their true relationship, Lord David Alton said.

"Everyone has a right to knowledge about their lineage, genealogy and identity. And if they don't, then it will lead to cases of incest," Alton told The Associated Press during a telephone interview Friday.

Alton first revealed details of the unusual case last month during a five-hour debate about a bill that would change regulations about human embryology.

"I was recently involved in a conversation with a High Court judge who was telling me of a case he had dealt with," Alton said according to a transcript of the Dec. 10 debate. "It involved the normal birth of twins who were separated at birth and adopted by separate parents.

"They were never told that they were twins. They met later in life and felt an inevitable attraction, and the judge had to deal with the consequences of the marriage that they entered into and all the issues of their separation."

Alton gave no additional details and would not reveal the name of the judge who told him about the case.

The High Court's Family Division declined to discuss or confirm Alton's account about the twins.

Alton, an independent legislator who works at Liverpool's John Moores University, said the siblings' inadvertent marriage raises the wider issue of the importance of strengthening the rights of children to know the identities of their biological parents, including kids who were born through in vitro fertilization.

Under British law, only a mother has to be named on a birth certificate. Such certificates also are not required to identify births that result from IVF or to identify the sperm donor.

In addition, British law does not require parents to ever tell children that they were the result of donated sperm.

Alton believes this should be changed.

Alton said he favors an amendment to the Human Fertility and Embryology bill - which is still being debated in the House of Lords - that would require birth certificates of children born from donated sperm to say that and to identify the genetic father.

Referring to the twins' case, he said: "If you start trying to conceal someone's identity, sooner or later the truth will come out. And if you don't know you are biologically related to someone, you may become attracted to them and tragedies like this may occur."

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press. All active hyperlinks have been inserted by AOL.

2008-01-11 15:16:23

I heard about this the other day! How horrible.

To search all your life for that "special" one only to find out it is your sibling.
default_new_shocked.gif

I want to know more details..LOL like how the heck did they find out they were twins? I mean how do you just "find that out"..lol

WOW! Well, hey at least they found out before they had kids together, that would be.....awkward and ...slightly problematic? lol.

:DOH!

Man, but then how do you develop a new relationship as sister and brother when you've slept together and are now thinking "EWWW!!" along with grieving the loss of someone you thought was your soul mate? Oye.
default_no.gif

Leia

Okay, edited to add: And what if you still didn't feel like siblings and didn't WANT to break up? That should be their choice IMO but I think public opinion would force them to or be reviled despite the fact that the only thing that's changed is now someone is aware of a genetic similarity between the two. Tragic.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! How horrific for that couple!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also want to know what happened to them. If you suddenly found out your husband was your brother... I mean, you just do not turn off your feelings and emotions due to the facts. I just cannot imagine how devastating
default_sad.png
:(
default_sad.png

Where's my soapbox ... darn I don't know where I've put it .... good thing for you guys .

As an female adoptee married to a male adoptee , my biggest relief upon learning our biological beginnings , was learning I hadn't married my brother !!! NO KIDDING !!

This is the kind of stuff an adoptee has to deal with everyday , on so many levels . We are stripped of our rights and idenity and given another .... and then forced to deal with it and expected to be grateful and never ask questions.

How does one just find out they are twins?? Well this story happened in a place where adoptees at a certain age have access to their original birth certificate . My guess would be that they knew they were adopted and applied for their original birth certificates that had the birthmother's name on it and well voila they realized they were twins.

Adoptees in the grand ol US of A don't have such rights to their birth heritage or the original b.c. in most states. And most citizens unless in the adoption triad don't realize this , BUT there are groups trying to change this for adoptees... to allow us the same rights the rest of you have.

PLEASE , if you want to help adoptees change this , write to your representatives and be a voice for those who are the original victims of identity theft !!!

This is the kind of stuff an adoptee has to deal with everyday , on so many levels . We are stripped of our rights and idenity and given another .... and then forced to deal with it and expected to be grateful and never ask questions.

Excellent point! Many of us say that our horses deserve to have their birthright, their registration papers that say who they come from-- don't people deserve the same???

That poor couple!!!!

Latest posts

Back