OKLAHOMA & surrounding Forum members are you OK?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys all stay safe....sure thinking and praying for you all. And you are right once you go through a ordeal such as no power for day after day...you can brag and tackle just about anything in life. In times like these a person really finds out how resourseful a person can become. I remembering joking with my family....ok, we now are officially amish(living without power) and melting snow water to water the horses and flush the toilets..... it helps to keep a good sense of humor in tough situations. There were days this past February when a power truck would drive by our road and we would literally cheer them on as they put new poles in mile after mile to get the electric wires back up from the ice storm.

Tell everyone we are praying for them and their horses!

If Becky and Charlotte decide to embrace this new no electricity lifestyle and go totally amish in the showring in 2008....I expect to see them on the Miniature Horse World cover. just teasing, hope this brings a smile in a not so good situation....ice storms are no fun

Keep us posted Vicki and take care.

Reflections, Redrock & T/C are without power. None since Sunday night and no relief in sight! Trees down everywhere! Lots of damage due to falling trees and limbs in our area. So far, all we have lost is our power, water, trees. We wont know about damage to our homes for a few days.

I came to the office to get warm! We are all looking for alternative places to sleep tonight! Motels/Hotels that HAVE power, are full! A lot of resturaunts are closed due to no electricity!

So far, we are able to supply water to our horses by catching rain water in buckets. We had filled our water tanks, but no electric, no tank heaters! We are above freezing right now and that's a big help! We are being told it could take 7-10 days to get our power back! We sure hope that's not the case!

I think once this is over, we can brag that we can live threw ANYTHING!
default_new_shocked.gif

Viki

Seems I spoke too soon. By morning, we had no power and we sat in the freezing dark house all day. Huge limbs and whole trees were crashing down all over our place. All coated in ice. We had to duck and run as limbs were crashing down around us! Two huge ones smashed into the top of our horse trailer, HUGE ones fell into the pens and I was afraid the horses would get hit! I don't mean branches, I mean limbs bigger than cars & one like a bus. We were in here sitting in the dark when we heard a big crash and it sounded like the side of our house being pulled off! A big one had fallen on our power line between the barn and our house. The line is now on the ground and the power pole that was at the house is laying over and snapped off. When night came hubby said we had to leave (I wanted to stay with the horses) but we went to Lawton and got a motel room. It was nice to be warm and have water! We came home and the horses are fine and THANK GOD the power was on! I don't know how since our line is on the ground with a limb on it!

No idea how we'll get these huge things cleared away. One draw back to having huge old trees everywhere!

Right now I'm thankful to be home, the horses are ok, so are we and (for the moment) we have power.

I hope rockin r is ok! I hope everyone is ok!

Beware of more broken limbs from recoil as the ice thaws!! last ice storm here -- it seems like the thaw caused more damage than the freeze --- glad to hear you are ok Robin -- and others.

JJay

Can only stay online a few minutes. We're back to no power. Went out last night (Monday) a 11pm. We're told it will be FRIDAY before it's back on! We have no creek to get water from so this is going to get interesting. Every horse is in the barn (well 23 of the 26) and they aren't pleased! They are packed in there like sardines. But I think all that body heat is helping to keep the buckets from totally freezing.

We are coping with the generator in our LQ trailer. We have an extension cord run from the trailer to the house. We're able to run our fridge/freezer and have a space heater on. Occassionally we plug in the radio or computer.

Stay safe everyone. Have to sign off now.

OMG, how awful! I heard on the radio some places had up to 2.5" of solid ice covering EVERYTHING!
default_new_shocked.gif
I hope and pray everyone (both 2 and 4 legged) will remain safe!
default_pray.gif

Just checking in to say we are making it. Lots of damage from trees and out of power since Sunday night at the farm.

School has been closed the last two days and it has been announced that it will be again tomorrow so I have been able to stay home and take care of things.

Mom and Dad have had a time since Mom is on dialysis it's not as if she can miss the treatments! It made for some crazy driving. Our huge pear tree split and half of it fell on Mom's car. It took quite a bit to get it off the car and assess the damage, but at least no one was in it when it happened. Then Dad finally had to cut the lock off the gate because there was no way to thaw it out and he got her to treatment...better late than never!

All the horses are fine so far although they aren't particularly thrilled. It will take us quite awhile to clean up but no one has been hurt in the family so we are blessed for that and Mom has gotten to treatment. I guess we can't ask for more.

Hope everyone continues to be safe.

Va Lynda Ann

We just got our power on at 6 pm tonight!!!! Been without for 2 days! OMG, it's been awful! Trees crashing down everywhere! It looks like a war zone around here. Just as bad or worse than when the tornado came through in 2003! Fortunately, all my horses are ok. Dry lot fences are still intact at least tonight. The barns are fine as are the horses in them.

We've been luckier than some as we have a wood stove and enough wood to burn for now (been trying to get more and that's been almost impossible!) and I also have a gas stove so I have been able to do some limited cooking as in the stove top and anything that I can bake (ever try to bake a cake by candlelight?), so we have had some warm meals.

As of right now there are still 260,000 customers in the Oklahoma City area alone without power.
default_no.gif

Charlotte and Frank still are without power tonight and no form of heat in their house.
default_sad.png

I just dumped everything in my refrigerator and freezer this morning.
default_no.gif

We had to run errands this afternoon and you can't believe what it's like trying to drive around. All, and I do mean all, streets are covered with downed trees and branches. Driving is spent dodging all of that. Supplies are short in Wal Mart. Batteries, water, candles. If you need it because of no electricity, it's probably sold out. We were able to buy a few supplies, but fortunately, it looks like we won't need them.

I'm so glad I stocked up on hay, feed and shavings before this weather came in!

I heard from Dawn the farrier today while it was raining sidways there. She's ok but worried she is going to be breaking more of her appointments with her clients. She said she is behind schedule enough but I told her I don't think a lot of people under seige by this storm are too worried about getting their horses trimmed right now. So if you are one of her clients, don't be mad at her ok? She will be in touch asap.

Then I heard from Mary Bennett tonight. She's in the dark with no power still. Not a happy camper because she wants to get on the forum of course. They are freezing in her house and all bundled up. Her horses are fine and cozy in her barn, no worries there but she's kinda cranky,. lol........She said the rain melted most of the ice off but tonite it's going down to 20 degrees and will re-freeze everything all over again. :DOH!

I bet Mary is a little cranky, and I would be one of those Dawn was coming to see and of course not mad at all, I don't want to get out there and wade in the mud either. I do my minis, she is going to do my full size horses. I would just soon she wait till after Xmas, since all the sudden I am more than broke, but financially embarrassed.
default_sad.png

[SIZE=12pt]Can't stay on long, we have been without power since 4am Tuesday morning. They are telling us 3-5 days....
default_new_shocked.gif
OMG I am freaking out here, we have a generator keeping the house warm and can run one or two appliances at a time....icy and trees down everywhere, Minis and others are ok so far, until water gets low, as our well is run on electric too, but we will figure it out. I had one mini I had to stall and blanket, the rest are doing well. I know the surrounding 3 towns are all without power as well. SUCKS!!!!!!!!!
default_sad.png
[/SIZE]

Checking in from Norman. Have been without power since sometime last Sunday night. Finally came in to work today so can finally check up on everyone. Have hard line phone at the house as the cordless phones are down. Staying at home as I have a small fireplace and do have a small propane camp stove and lantern to cook by. I have a battery powered lantern so that I can read after it gets dark.

Have tons of limbs down and several near misses to the house and barn. Perimeter fences seem to be holding up so far, but did move the horse to the big lot around the barn so that they would be aways from as many trees as possible. Did have several near the barn come down though but the horses are OK, just make it difficult to get in and out of the barn to feed.

Had on limb from the tree in the front yard land on the railing of the steps from the front deck but it did not break the railing. Was able to move the truck before a tree landed were it had been parked.

So very unnerving to lay in bed and hear trees snapping like gun fire. Monday morning went out to feed and you could just hear trees snapping all over the place. Sometime you could turn in the direct of the noise and watch the tree come down.

Have a lot of trees on the east side of the house and when them came crashing down you just crossed your fingers that they didn't land on the house--near misses there also along with the well house and the old barn.

Friend just 5 miles from me (Bev Mitchell of Amber Oaks Farm) has also been without power and she has had several large limbs hit her house--she was worried about a skylight breaking but so far everything is holding and she was worried about her parrot. They have a big fireplace and a gas cook top.

I'm with Oklahoma Electric Co-Op and our outage numbers have continued to climb--they were at 31,000 Monday morning and yesterday evening they were up to 46,000 and said it could be another 7-10 days before power is restored. I have my fingers crossed as another friend of mine about 6 miles west of me has her power back.

Oldest son lives just north of Tulsa in Claremore and his family is without power and then had a large pecan limb come down and is acoss the entry line to the house so are waiting for the power company to come put up a new entry cable. He tookd the family in to the office in Tulsa this morning at 5AM because the house was so cold. Other son and family in Moore are doing OK, they had been without power a couple of times but so far they are back up and running.

Was worried about water for the horses but my neighbor who is on OG&E has their power back for now so if I had to I could run hoses to their hydrant and get water for the horses.

Heard from Dawn (Haler) and she is doing fine for now. Also heard from a friend in CA that was wanting to check on me.

I have been in touch with Jan Tobey (MultiHitch) and she is doing fine other that no power and limb down. Have talked with Georgetta Miear (Royal M) she posts some on the Sales Board and they were doing fine in Tuttle on Monday and still had power but have not hear from her since.

Pat Elder (Rosa Roca) is without power as well as her friend Lisa whom she trains for. Have not heard from the training center though.

Just got off the phone with the power company and they said their numbers are coming down fast as they have crews working around the clock and now have crews in from out of state. Keep your fingers crossed.

Think I'll go look for an AC/DC 9" TV and also go pick up a weather radio that I have been putting off getting.

Anyone want to come to a chain saw party???
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

Will keep everyone posted. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_no.gif
Well, We were lucky the last few days...on and off with the phones and power but nothing as bad as 2005 ice storm where we did not have electric or heat for 7 days. I woke up this morning and what to my wandering eyes should appear...NO HEAT...and shivering little dogs that looked like popsickles. The furnace guys is here now looking it over...good thing I am in HOT FLASH MODE!
default_wacko.png
Hope things get better for everyone in OKLAHOMA way.

Just got this email from Weeokie!

Sheila, we're surviving - came over last night to my son's (he's just moved to Yukon) for a hot meal, hot shower, and warm bed. Obviously, we lost power!! It's a lot of work, but guess we'll get thru it. I'm anxious to get home this a.m. to check on horses - this is the first time we've left them all alone overnight. LOL

Rita

Glad to hear some of you are getting power back. We missed the main ice storm here south of Kansas city but have been home for 2 snow days since I work at a school cause of ice. Thank God for my dear husband taking care of the horses. I havent seen them since the weekend! Cmon good weather. Sheila

Golly you poor guys out there. Here in the UK we have nothing like this. We have been seeing it on the International news, but it seems so much 'closer' to home now I'm actually reading posts from you poor folk out there. I do hope you and your animals stay safe, please do take care.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Anna

I've been watching here on the east coast the weather channel constantly. I am so sorry all you guys are going thru this. I know exactly first hand what a mess it can be ....we had an ice storm back in the mid 90's....roads so slick they were like soap you could not walk nor drive!! I literally had to crawl to my barn on my hands and knees...this is the truth! Please everyone in the midst of this storm be safe, take precautions and know that over here on the east coast we are thinking about you all!

Weatherman has said it'll be out turn next week. We'll see how hard we get hit. We've been up in the 50 degree mark for a few days...very strange weather for us this time of year.

Well the furnace guy just left. Good thing he came out. Our house is just three years old but whoever installed the furnace did not have the flue all the way down over our furnace so there was a huge gap at the connections and a relay switch gone bad. So we are up and running again and toasty warm
default_aktion033.gif

I have been saying lots of prayers for you guys out west in the ice storm.We went through it in the 90's.It was so bad here they closed the roads into my town since they were using snow plows to clear the streets of fallen trees and limbs and feeding emergency crews at the hospital since it has generator power.We were without electricity for a few days, but neighbor had it so we hauled water for animals from them.When it came back on I filled everything with water since it waa going on and off.28 miles of electric poles down in our area.Power guy said they were just going down like dominoes.Stay safe and try to stay warm.Having animals in an ice storm is a challenge.We now have our barn water pumped rigged so it can be easily hooked to a small generator to pump water.More prayers coming your way.

Thank you, Sheila, for putting on my report. The horses survived their overnight alone, probably better than I did!

The good news is that we got our power back on a couple of hours ago, and I have been a busy little beaver, doing catch up in the house and barn. We've had basically the same problems as others have, so I won't elaborate, but I did experience one thing no one else has reported. We had some interior fences compromised, and mind you, 2 stallions got in with a group of broodmares that are not bred for next year. But I think they were more interested in sparring with each other than checking out the mares. AT LEAST, I HOPE SO!! It was/is way to slick to attempt to round them up, plus the fences need attention to keep them in, so will just have to live with the situation for a while. Unfortunately, another round (this time snow) is expected by Friday.

Isn't having horses fun?

Rita

Thank you, Sheila, for putting on my report. The horses survived their overnight alone, probably better than I did!

The good news is that we got our power back on a couple of hours ago, and I have been a busy little beaver, doing catch up in the house and barn. We've had basically the same problems as others have, so I won't elaborate, but I did experience one thing no one else has reported. We had some interior fences compromised, and mind you, 2 stallions got in with a group of broodmares that are not bred for next year. But I think they were more interested in sparring with each other than checking out the mares. AT LEAST, I HOPE SO!! It was/is way to slick to attempt to round them up, plus the fences need attention to keep them in, so will just have to live with the situation for a while. Unfortunately, another round (this time snow) is expected by Friday.

Isn't having horses fun?

Rita
Yes it is Rita.........fun having horses! I have to go out with a smile, if I whine, Larry's says I just got them to make you happy, if your not happy well then...... So, we might have some little surprises next year! HA mine are always surprises :DOH! Glad, you have your electric back, I know you where worried about leaving them alone.....they always manage to get into some kind of trouble when left alone. I truly believe they know you are gone.

Now if we could just get Mary back on, I know she has a whooping story to tell
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back