OKLAHOMA & surrounding Forum members are you OK?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're finally back in business!
default_aktion033.gif
The electric came on around 4pm. The horses are fine, and for the most part the dogs and cats are fine. Our Italian Greyhound really couldn't take how cold the house got. We tried to keep him covered all the time, but he still got kind of lethargic and stopped eating. But he's been warming up for a couple of hours and he's getting back to his ol' self!
default_wub.png

I hope the electric comes back on for those remaining without. It's NO fun at all and it can get dangerous when it goes on too long.

Be safe
default_yes.gif

I heard from Mary Bennett again tonite. She still has no power and is not amused. She's freezing and was curled up in the hallway on the phone talking to me by candlelight. She says her place is just a mess like everyone elses and she has to go to work every day dispite it all. Her horses are all just fine and very cozy in the barn.

I also heard that Trembly's shelters have been blown down from the wind and he is looking for help to get them back up.

Still without power in most of east Norman, OEC says they hope to have everyone up and running by tomorrow, Just in time for the snow storm--told them to keep the out of state crews here till Monday.

Just turned in my claim to the insurance company. Going to be fun to see what they are going to cover. Lost food in 2 fridges and 1 freezer
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
. Just the food alone is going to cover my deductible since I already purchase all the turkeys and standing rib roasts for Christmas. My freezers were full but after 5 days without power--everything is going out.

Left the min pin and the two cats at home with a slow burning fire in the wood burning stove and hope they stay warm enough.

I saw Pat Elder as she was driving over to her place and I was headed for work. She looked like she was bundled up for an Alaska winter. Mitchell's are doing OK but without power still and they are on OG&E.

Son in Claremore is still down also--power company there is very small with only 11 lineman for the whole town so they can't tell him when they'll get to his entrance cable.

Be safe everyone--will be doing a lot of clean up this weekend between snow flakes.

HUMMM, know what I'll be purchasing with my tax return--A GENERATOR
default_yes.gif

HUMMM, know what I'll be purchasing with my tax return--A GENERATOR
Even though I've had power back on since Tuesday night, I'm thinking a generator would be a wise investment! If I could at least get water with one, we'd be ok here without electricity.

Charlotte and Frank still without power. Their plumbers are bringing them a generator today and hooking it up for them!
default_aktion033.gif
Also getting another kerosene heater and kerosene from Ron Clough, Ash Creek Farm.

Hopefully, more will have power back before the snowstorm hits Oklahoma tomorrow.

We bought a generator from Home Depot when they had 12 months with no interest after the ice storm we had here in South Oklahoma, back in 2002 I think. No electric for 5 days, yep have only used it once and that was to unload hay at night. Not that I am complaining, heavens no! Been there, feel your pain. Our trees are just now getting where they don't look like they have been bombed, and all the hanging limbs have finally came down. Watch out for the hanging limbs VERY dangerous, expecially when trying to pull them down, there was a man killed here when we had the ice, pulling down a hanging limb and it landed on him.

I have probably jinked myself, and the snow coming will probably take us down :DOH!

Be safe

Wow, It sounds just awful! I hope you are continue to be safe. We don't have ice storms here but can relate to downed trees and limbs from the Santa Ana winds we get. I can't imagine no power for two weeks!! And no heat! Will be keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers that you are safe and warm, and that your power comes back soon. Be careful out there!!

ok im really liking the generator idea

im used to blizzards and sub zero temps ( being from SD) but this is rediculous

those of you around OKC if you need to come to my new house or need a place in stalls for your horses let me know

i have a perfectly good mini barn sitting empty with power

dawn

Dawn, I have to tell you are a very sweet lady. You offer your stall and your place thats very kind of you.

It gave me a heart warming feeling that we have wonderful caring folks out there.

Bless you heart

Anita

default_aktion033.gif
FINALLY AFTER 5 LONG COLD DAYS
default_aktion033.gif
the power came back up last night--and just in time as the water trough in the barn pasture/lot has just run out of water.

I said a somewhat selfish pray to GOD thanking him for the return of power, but also said a prayer for all the folks who have come to our aid and for those still without and said a quiet thank you for humbling me and letting me know that I'm glad I did not live back in the 1870's.

Supposed to get snow starting tonight anywhere from 2-6 here in the OKC greater area depending upon where you live.

Son is Claremore is still down.

Turned in my claim to the Insurance company and they are treating OK as a Catastraphic claim area. Adjuster can't get here till the 20th. Must get rid of everything in the fridge and freezer so he said make an itemized list and throw away. Any fencing that needs temporay repair take a photo before removing the trees and set them close by. Need to contact a 866 number that is uninsured damage claims to help with FEMA estimates.

I just had received last Friday, all my vacinations for January and they are all ruined and I have not even paid for them yet :DOH! :DOH! My vet said after 5 days without refridgeration throw them out---where was my brain--I could have taken them to the file cabinet in the barn for safe keepings but top most in my mind--DON'T OPEN THE FRIDGE!!! Try EWTF w/Rhino, WNV, Anti Toxin, Lepto, for 27 horses. Insurance agent said to include them also--Kicking myself all the way to the trash can!!!! That alone will be 1/2 of my deductible.

My power just came back on an hour ago -- been off since early tuesday morning. We still have the generator ready for use in case the snow takes us back out -- it started snowing about 2 hours ago and is pretty much a blizzard out there. They are calling for 6-9 inches by morning. The horses all looked like snow monsters out there eating their hay
default_smile.png

I live in far southeast Oklahoma City. Power went out Sunday night and didn't come back on until Thursday evening. I moved my family and the dogs to the Training Stable, which is about 7 miles from here. They didn't have power either (and still don't!) but at least they have a woodburning stove that can sort of heat the house.

Leesa Conley at Daystar Miniatures, two blocks north of me, didn't lose power until Monday night and it came back on Wednesday.

The main problem, besides living in a cold, candle-lit house, has been getting water for the horses. Fortunately, I'm down to only 10 here at the house, and I filled up all their water tanks the night before the power went out. The training stable isn't so lucky, as each horse only has a water bucket in their stall. We did have a couple of larger water tanks filled up, and bailed out of them for the first few days. Just this afternoon I filled up everything here that would hold water and drove it over there, where we bailed it out into buckets and tubs. They're good for another couple of days, if it comes to that, before I have to haul more.

I agree with what others have said - listening to the trees breaking was like being in the middle of a war zone. I have lots of tree damage here, less at the training stable, but Leesa has TONS of it. You can hardly get from her house to the road, let alone to the horse pens, without stepping over or around huge branches. Here at my house, I had a huge mulberry tree that uprooted! It had grown with a slight lean to the trunk, and the weight of the ice pulled it out of the ground. Incredible! Luckily, no horses injured and no house or barn damage. I do have a huge limb across my old steel horse trailer, but I can't see that it did any damage.

My prayers go out to those who are still without power. And, I'm praying that this snow storm misses us somehow. It'll just slow down the repair and cleanup work.

Oh, and my thanks to Dawn Hahler, who drove all the way up here yesterday just to see if everyone was okay. She helped Katherine and I clear some of the fallen branches away, including the huge one that was across the driveway. Thanks, Dawn! You're a dear!

Pat Elder

Rosa Roca Miniature Horses & Rosa Roca Training Stables

Oklahoma City, OK

Pat that is what friends do
default_cheers.gif

and if i come up today leesa and davies place is next

but im mad about that mulberry tree it was our shade tree for doing your horses

and i pray that the snow goes bye bye mom is worried that she is going to get stranded at an airport

and yes im glad that no major damage was done (dont you wish now we would have borrowed your steel trailer) lol

dawn

I am posting for kscowgirl.........Michele has been w/o electricity for 5 days now.
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

And received 12" of snow yesterday.
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

Luckily they have plenty of hay for minis and donkeys to keep them happy.

Jon had to buy a generator to keep the house warm. They had to throw out all the food in the fridge tho. :arg! :arg!

Not a good time of year to have such spendatures....
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif

Keep her and her family in your prayers.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
Hope the electricity comes on soon.

Thank You.

I am posting for kscowgirl.........Michele has been w/o electricity for 5 days now.
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

And received 12" of snow yesterday.
default_sad.png
default_sad.png

Luckily they have plenty of hay for minis and donkeys to keep them happy.

Jon had to buy a generator to keep the house warm. They had to throw out all the food in the fridge tho. :arg! :arg!

Not a good time of year to have such spendatures....
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif

Keep her and her family in your prayers.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
Hope the electricity comes on soon.

Thank You.

I have also been keeping in touch with kscowgirl each day thannks to cell phones and she is about to go mad without the electric. Hopefully it will come on soon, I am only an hour from her and we were lucky enough to have gotten ours back friday night.

FINALLY! We are back among the living! aka on line
default_biggrin.png

I wouldn't wish that kind of suffering on anyone and there are many still without power. For us that means no heat of any kind and no water. And eating peanut butter and bread and drinking cold water in a 49 degree house
default_sad.png
The horses really reduced their water consumption because all we had was 5 gallon buckets we had filled the day before and that was ICY! Despite all our efforts Star colicked and aborted a darling Cowboy filly 48 hours later. Star is our worst drinker. If the water is cold she doesn't drink!

It will probably be months beforw we get this mess cleaned up. Anyone want to join a chain saw gang?
default_biggrin.png
We were fortunate though....just minor damage from the falling trees.

Please keep the prayers coming for all those who are still in danger from this weather.

Charlotte

p.s. We just ordered a generator and tomorrow I'll call the plumbing company to come run a gas line for a gas stove in the kitchen...instead of electric!!!!!!

now that y'all have generators you'll probalby never have this problem again! lol I remember in 98' Maine got hit with an ice storm like yours (and when i say maine..it was MOST of the state..and maine i a huge state). most places were without electricity for 6 weeks or more! we were fortunate to only have been without for like 2 weeks as we live near a power dam and although we don't get our electricity from it, it was a priority for those making money from it to get it back up and running ASAP so our lines were brought back up fast compaired to many places.

We were fortunate enough to have wood stoves one was an Antique cook stove that was my great great grandmothers and it's set up with an oven ect so you can really cook with it. worked out well for us but many people were really cold and/or freezing. Always amazes me how many people in maine are so unprepaired..it's not like we don't have extreme winter weather every winter.. course that was a little worse than normal but we still get plenty of power outages and stuck in storms! of course i say this and I'm not living in a little trailer on my own but my stove is a gas stove so i can always light that puppy up for heat and cooking. Plenty of candles and flashlights and kerosene lanters around.

I hope everyone stays safe and things get back to normal very soon! these type of things are always a pain and misery for everyone involved!

FINALLY! We are back among the living! aka on line
default_biggrin.png

I wouldn't wish that kind of suffering on anyone and there are many still without power. For us that means no heat of any kind and no water. And eating peanut butter and bread and drinking cold water in a 49 degree house
default_sad.png
The horses really reduced their water consumption because all we had was 5 gallon buckets we had filled the day before and that was ICY! Despite all our efforts Star colicked and aborted a darling Cowboy filly 48 hours later. Star is our worst drinker. If the water is cold she doesn't drink!

It will probably be months beforw we get this mess cleaned up. Anyone want to join a chain saw gang?
default_biggrin.png
We were fortunate though....just minor damage from the falling trees.

Please keep the prayers coming for all those who are still in danger from this weather.

Charlotte

p.s. We just ordered a generator and tomorrow I'll call the plumbing company to come run a gas line for a gas stove in the kitchen...instead of electric!!!!!!
Charlotte,

I am so very sorry Star lost her little filly, how very sad. I hope she is doing ok now. On a happier note, glad your among the living again!

Still 18,000 without power here in Oklahoma City this morning.
default_no.gif
Crews are working hard to get it restored. We've finally had a break from this nasty weather as in SUN yesterday and today. It is a BEAUTIFUL sight to see!

We are starting clean up outside today. I'm hoping some of my downed trees can be cut up for firewood.
default_smile.png

I ordered a generator yesterday and hope to have it in a week or so. May never need it, but you just never know. I sure want to be better prepared if the power ever goes off again for an extended time.

I am fortunate in that my house has a wood burning stove and it does a pretty good job of heating. I also have a gas heater in one bathroom and I have a gas stove. I was able to do some cooking on the stove top as well as baking in the oven with no power!

Hope everyone else without power has theirs' restored quickly!

[SIZE=14pt]After a week of no electricity, we are back on!!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
I'll tell you this was one of the most stressful weeks....We lost food in our fridge, and vaccines as well, also a few appliances got smoked as well, also trees went through the top of a couple sheds, I called the insurance company and they will be sending an adjuster out. I am so happy to have our well up and running so I could top off all the water tanks, it got a little scary there for awhile, but we where able to hook the generator to the well to fill water, but my hoses where froze so we had to thaw them out as well. The ice storm was bad, and that is what knocked out the electric, but then we had over 12 inches of snow on top of that, so we where beginning to wonder if we would ever get back on. I do know of people in our area still out, and I feel for them, our old farmhouse where my grandma lived, my dad said there are over 2 miles of poles down and broken lines. SO he is having to run a generator out there to keep pipes from freezing. Gosh the gas it takes to run them about broke us! :DOH! But we kept warm and that is the most important. The mini horses and mini donkey all handled it really well, they had lots of hay and even though the water was a struggle at times, I made sure they where all drinking.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]I wish the timing wasn't right before Christmas, with hubby being off work and all the added expenses, it is awful, but everyone in the area is going through the same thing. I did talk to a lady in OK as well, and her mother is still without power too, I am sending out a BIG PRAYER for everyone still waiting for the electric to come back on!!!!!
default_pray.gif
This was not fun at all....I think we aged 10 years in the last week......
default_wacko.png
[/SIZE]

Latest posts

Back