Odette *colt*, Britt *colt*.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I slept for 3 hours this afternoon and wow was is good! Vet had told me to milk Britt after 4 hrs and feed baby just incase but when I went to try her udder was down lol he is making up for time and sucking her dry lol

Eagle is doing fine and won the hearts of everyone, he has a list of young trainees waiting to take him for small walks.
default_smile.png
he shojld be coming home Tuesday or Wednesday.

Odette is being a very good girl and sitting at 6.8

I am afraid I might sleep like a baby tonight do all eyes are really appreciated on Britt snd baby, if he doesn't get up to feed or anything that doesn't look right please call, I won't answer I will just go straight down.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Both doing great...saw baby nursing..i think a couple times...hes nice and spunky so hes surely getting something under there. Hope you are sleeping well. Will check on him thru out the day along as Im doing chores. but thanks to your Florence nightngale skills all is well!

He certainly looks as though he's making up for lost time Renee and getting plenty of practice in his new found suckling skills!!

Have yourself a long long sleep tonight my friend, I'll be here all evening and I know Diane, Heidi and then Cassie will keep watch for you, amongst many others I suspect - he's such a special boy and it is fabulous to just watch him, as he is only with us due to your continuous care and attention. Many congratulations my friend!

Relax and sleep well.
default_yes.gif

I'm glad the lil guy has finally caught on!

Get some rest, everyone here can keep an eye on your cam and let you know if something is up!

I'm going to clean out some chicken coops but after I'm done I will get on and watch for a while
default_smile.png

Hope you are getting some well deserved rest!

Gosh thanks Diane, Any of us would have done the same, how can you not love these babies
default_wub.png
When I had Britt covered I promised her I would do whatever I could to give her a healthy baby. This is most definitely her last baby and I think I need some time off to just enjoy them and watch the babies grow. One more to go so lets hope Odette foals easily like she normally does.

I think Odette has at least a week to go but 2 would be better as it will give Britt's baby time to get strong enough for them to go back together. Odette misses Britt like mad and calls her all day bless her.

ROFL

Diane he has 2 rugs on but is shaking a bit, should I keep coming down with hot water bottles or will he be ok?

When he fell asleep he stopped shaking and under is rugs he was nice and warm. I was hoping to get a couple of hours sleep and I worry about giving him a hot water bottle and then leaving him as he will feel the cold even more once he moves away. What do you think? Sorry I am being hyper I know
default_whistling.gif

Been watching him and Britt whilst talking to Cathy on the phone. Saw you checking him Renee and you have switched the main light out. After this he woke up and was so funny - looked as though in searching for the milk bar under Britt's tail, he actually went straight on through her legs and out the side (well it might have been the camera angle?) He still seems to have to put a bit of thought into actually finding and latching on to the teat, but he does get it although he desn't seem to stay there very long. He's certainly full of life through, bless him!

Hope you can get to bed soon Renee.
default_yes.gif

Yes Anna he doesn't stay under long, he has a quick slurp from both nipples and that's it but he goes there often. Britt's udder is no longer hard like it was when I was milking her. This means he is nursing Right? she wouldn't loose her milk now he is nursing would she?

You are right Renee - he must be taking her milk for himself, and as you have been milking her so regularly she certainly wont be drying up. Regarding the bottle, I would perhaps leave it, he is probably perfectly warm enough when all snuggled down in the bedding (which is when he could be cold if he couldn't 'snuggle'). You know how you can be warm enough when sitting somewhere comfortable, but feel suddenly a bit chilly when you get up until you have been moving around a little to get your blood flowing properly again - couldthis be why he seemed a bit shivery to you for a little while?

If I was you, get to bed as quickly as you can, if you feel really worried then set an alarm to wake you in 4 or 5 hours and go check on him, if all ok you can grab another couple of hours before your normal wake up time. Meanwhile we will keep watch between us.
default_yes.gif

I'm behind on checking in with the 'nursery.' Congratulations on your new colt, Renee! Can't wait to see some pictures of him. It sounds like he is doing great now.

Anna I just wish I had had time to prepare for the birth better. My car is broken so I can't use the trailer to go and get straw. I never foal down on shavings
default_sad.png
hopefully Sandro can go and get some tomorrow morning. What with having no car and Eagle being sick then Britt foaling a month early I just wasn't organised.
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The vet just called to see how he is and said if my American/ Australian friends are watching him I can go down in 4 hours.
default_smile.png

good night all

HOORAY for the vet!! Now go and get some sleep PLEASE!!!

No need to worry about the little lad being warm enough - he has his doting Momma laying down right beside him, bless her!!

I am so glad the little guy is starting to figure out the milk bar!! Yeah!! I think the shaking my be a dis-mature thing or maybe the dummy foal deal. Looking back Superman shivered a lot too, even under the heat lamp and it was not that cold. Once he fell asleep he rarely shivered. None of the other foals have done that except for right after birth. I think these kids just can't regulate their body temperatures very well and it is part of the nerve deal. With his blankets on, he is plenty warm. It lasted about 5 days it seems.

How is Eagle doing?

Oh I missed so much. I wasn't able to read all the way through the thread but I hate I was not here during the last week to give prayers and support. SO glad things are looking up, Renee. Lots of love to you and your babies.

I got home about 8 hours ago. Last night I was able to get the internet working in FL long enough to watch a bit. We got up at 3am and were on the road by 4am. We could not wait to get home to our babies. Ricky was happy to see me (*tears*) and when he realized it was me in the yard he started flipping his head and came right to me for kisses. Tink grew! She and Ricky like to kiss through the fence and Laney is just happy eating 24/7. I took some pictures today and will post tomorrow.

The trip was great. We had a very good time and I took a ton of pictures I will have to upload some to photobucket tomorrow and share on Laney's thread.

I am so tired and will be going to bed very soon.
default_thud.gif

Renee, you are in there on poop patrol now.
default_worshippy.gif

I missed you ladies!! So glad to be back!

4:10 Renees time...mom and baby sleeping. not sure how much i can type...keyboard kept freezing all day ( it was stuck on Cam and Renees camera but I couldnt type...just watch) very angry b/c we just got it out of the shop yesterday!! Sorry

Anyway if i dont post much its b/c of the keyboard difficulties.

Just getting to read todays posts but I havent heard from Diane so all must be well with Britt and baby. Renee how are you doing..rested a little I hope..you sure deserve it!..and diane? Whos team won..how'd he do? Megan do we have pictures of your trip yet.

Does the wee one have a new coat..or am I seeing things? I'll have to go read and see if they made it outside at all today. Im watching and will stop back in a bit...as long as I dont throw this key board off the deck!!

Latest posts

Back