No Hay in Indiana

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angie Stanley

Reaction score
Since it pretty much rains every darn day here in Indiana we have a hay shortage. I’ve been out for theee weeks so went to hay pellets 4 pounds per mini horse. They love them but their poop looks like an elephant. Does that mean I’m feeding too much?

I am also unsure how to equate pellets/hay. I coudln't get alfalfa for a while and used pellets, but was never sure how much equated to the amount of alfalfa I was feeding.
Hope things settle down and you get some hay.
Many alfalfa fields here were drowned and smothered with mud. Crazy year.

I feed pound for pound. If I would feed 5.lbs of alfalfa, I feed 5 lbs of alfalfa cubes/pellets.

Like @Minimor feed it pound for pound. If you see that they are gaining lots of weight than maybe cut down on the pellets. Is there anything in the pellets other than hay?

How big are your minis? Feed should be by weight; basic rule of thumb is 1.5-2% of bodyweight daily, so 250# mini would get 3.75-5# forage daily. Are you soaking the pellets? Pellets don't have to be soaked, but it is recommended. Cubes are often a better choice, as they provide some long stem forage, but they have to be soaked to reduce the chance of choke. There are several brands of chopped forages available these days, and even some small compressed bales; I realize they two options usually cost more than pellets or cubes, but they provide more chew time and don't necessarily need to be soaked, so would be a nice inclusion to the diet. Baled hay is replaced pound for pound with pellets, cubes or chop; having a small scale in the feed room in these situations can be very helpful. You can also use some soaked beet pulp in the diet, it can be up to like 30% of the diet, but if using over about 1/3# for minis, you need to balance the high calcium (the one thing nice about beet pulp, if they like, a little dry makes a pretty big soaked meal, so they feel more full; but still need to measure the amount dry when figuring how much of the daily diet it is)

Part of my previous comment got cut off, but I was rushing.
I'd buy those 75 bales of good hay that you have room to store, and incorporate some into the daily feed mix; it'll help with cost and boredom. Get a couple slow feeders for the baled hay to slow them down.

How big are your minis? Feed should be by weight; basic rule of thumb is 1.5-2% of bodyweight daily, so 250# mini would get 3.75-5# forage daily. Are you soaking the pellets? Pellets don't have to be soaked, but it is recommended. Cubes are often a better choice, as they provide some long stem forage, but they have to be soaked to reduce the chance of choke. There are several brands of chopped forages available these days, and even some small compressed bales; I realize they two options usually cost more than pellets or cubes, but they provide more chew time and don't necessarily need to be soaked, so would be a nice inclusion to the diet. Baled hay is replaced pound for pound with pellets, cubes or chop; having a small scale in the feed room in these situations can be very helpful. You can also use some soaked beet pulp in the diet, it can be up to like 30% of the diet, but if using over about 1/3# for minis, you need to balance the high calcium (the one thing nice about beet pulp, if they like, a little dry makes a pretty big soaked meal, so they feel more full; but still need to measure the amount dry when figuring how much of the daily diet it is)

I haven’t been soaking but I will consider it thanks!

Thanks for the advice but what 75 bales? Lol 75 bales would solve my whole problem
Oops, that's where that comment went... I was replying to an almost identical post on FB and the poster said she had room to store 75 bales; but they were hard to get at certain times of the year.

I'm surprised you are able to feed alfalfa to your mini's,due to the sugar content. I've been avoiding alfalfa for that reason. Do most people feed alfalfa/timothy? The alfalfa/timothy always looks in better condition, so input would be nice. I'm sorry about your shortage. I hope you get hay soon. I'm in Virginia, and my trouble this past year was moldy. dusty, old hay. In fact I took pictures.and videos, and sent them to the company of origin. They sent coupons, but I would rather have a good product. If I am able to use alfalfa, this would broaden my choice. plaid mare

I feed a small amount of alfalfa because of its protein and calcium. I have known some horse folk who fed alfalfa exclusively. I have good pasture, so I just use it for a supplement. So many strong opinions about alfalfa, pro and con. I do know that people who rescue starved horses highly recommend it. But, my horses have the opposite problem, so they just get a little. I feed the size of a whisk broom. With pellets, I did 1/4 C. And I have to make sure I buy from a hay guy who knows his business because of blister bugs.
I always thought timothy was the best hay. We do not have that available in my area.
I was traveling through CO one time a few years ago, where tons of timothy are grown and processed, and stopped at a horse facility to ask a guy there where I could find timothy hay. He said he didn't know the man!

I'm in northeast Arkansas and it seems everyone around here is growing hay, I don't know if any is going to be shipped and don't know where your at in Indiana, but you might look into having some brought your way or making a trip. I grew up in northwest Indiana, love those summers!

Alfalfa is NOT high in sugar and starch, but is high in calcium, protein and calories, so should typically be used in moderation for most equines. Usual recommendation is not more than 20-25% of the forage provided. Barring allergies or sensitivity, there is no reason not to include some alfalfa in the diet.

When we lived in AZ, alfalfa was all we got. Cheaper than Bermuda. When we moved to MO, we switched the stallions over to our local hay (primarily fescue). We had trouble keeping weight on them.
We had to buy alfalfa for the pregnant mares this year, so went ahead and switched stallions over. Three are almost up to weight, one has to have senior until we get our vet out to do teeth, and one we are getting a vet out to check on him. He seems to be losing weight. Wormed him with one wormer, so going to get a fecal on him.

What are blister bugs? I thought fescue was toxic to horses? One wonders if the colorado guy had a good sense of humor, or no sense of humor! Thank-you for all the good information. This is my first mini. I have had him for ten years, but my experience was with the big guys only. They were always fed alfalfa/timothy. The wealth of knowledge from this forum is why I joined!

Fescue is only bad for mares in their last trimester. Can cause birthing issues, no milk production, and abortions. Can cause other issues I can't remember.
Blister Beetles are found in alfalfa in some states. They will kill a horse if digested.

What part of Indiana are you in? I live in the west/central part and my hay guy is way behind getting his hay cut and baled because of the rain! My problem is getting my minis and my pony out to eat grass. The mare and gelding minis had foundered before I got them and their feet were really bad so they can't be grazing in the grass for too long. My hay guy has nice hay and he also has bales that are hay and a little alfalfa mixed in that I give them. All my horses are at a healthy weight. If you are close to me, when my guy has more hay, I can let you know.

Latest posts

Back