Nite Guard( predator light)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking small

Reaction score
Anyone use one?

My link

We have always had wolves/coyotes, we're lived here for almost 20yrs but as surrounding development increases the pack is getting rather.. 'closer' and more frequent with it's go-throughs.. so we're considering this little gadget. The horses are kept pretty close to the house but..

Any Feedback?

**Light is not motion activated by animal, instead it flashes continuously from dusk until dawn**
This sounds unbelievably annoying -- for us AND our neighbors (only one house is close, but they'd still see the flash). So much for stargazing!

I would think it would also be upsetting to the animals one is trying to protect.

This sounds unbelievably annoying -- for us AND our neighbors (only one house is close, but they'd still see the flash). So much for stargazing!

I would think it would also be upsetting to the animals one is trying to protect.
They address that in the F.A.Q

"Will the flashing light be annoying to my neighbors or alarm my own livestock?

A: No. Livestock, pets and any other domestic animals ignore the flash. It is not an annoying strobe type flash therefore will not attract undue attention; however predators see it instantly because of their wary nature. Most neighbors and anyone else will believe the lights to be a security system of some kind in place and this is a secondary benefit our customers appreciate."

...Most neighbors and anyone else will believe the lights to be a security system of some kind in place and this is a secondary benefit our customers appreciate."
I apologize if this sounds rude, but that is pure salesmanship bs. If my neighbor had any sort of flashing light that went on all night, I would be furious and would not appreciate the so-called secondary benefits.

I suppose if you live waaaaaaaaay out, with no neighbors, you could aim it away so that you didn't see it, but I'd sooner move back into Portland where we could see a stoplight from the corral.

I love my dark, starlit nights.

Anyone use one?

My link

We have always had wolves/coyotes, we're lived here for almost 20yrs but as surrounding development increases the pack is getting rather.. 'closer' and more frequent with it's go-throughs.. so we're considering this little gadget. The horses are kept pretty close to the house but..

Any Feedback?
I have my doubts that it would be an effective tool in keeping predators away. Reminds me of those sonic and vibrating "mole chasers" that are sold and are totally useless. We have flashing red stoplights in town and they always find a dead coyote on the side of the road by them. Apparently the coyotes try to cross the road and get hit by cars. Deer, too.

I think a far more effective and cheaper tool would simply be a radio left on all night. We constantly had raccoons eating the cat food for our outdoor cats. I got fed up with finding a cleaned out dish every morning. I think I was buying an entire 18 pound bag of cat food every week... and I only have two cats! So two years ago I bought a cheap radio and put it on the shelf above the cat food dish. I tuned it to a rock station that stays on 24 hours a day, and not once in two years have I had an empty food dish in the morning.

We have a high number of coyotes here, so we use woven wire fence in the dry lots and at night our horses always come into the barn.

They address that in the F.A.Q

"Will the flashing light be annoying to my neighbors or alarm my own livestock?

A: No. Livestock, pets and any other domestic animals ignore the flash. It is not an annoying strobe type flash therefore will not attract undue attention; however predators see it instantly because of their wary nature. Most neighbors and anyone else will believe the lights to be a security system of some kind in place and this is a secondary benefit our customers appreciate."
ROFL!!! Hogwash! Livestock and domestic animals ignore the light, but predators don't. I suppose you have to sit down with your domestic animals and explain to them there's nothing to fear in that flashing light... it's just for nasty animals.

Like, domestic animals have some built-in tolerance for flashing red lights but predators don't? They used to sell snake oil, too!

I would be madder than a wet hen if I had to listen to someones music all night.

And just like with a light, predators do get used to it and have no problems being around it.

Best and first defense...is a good fence!

Nothing is going to work better than that.

Back