Bad storm, not prepared

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
My husband and I just moved into our apartment about a month ago, and never realized how ill prepared we are for a storm until now. I just got power and heat on after 48 hours of it being off, and I expect it to go back out again. Its been flickering, which is what it did before it went out.

I realized that we were supposed to get a storm, but we didn't realize the extent of how bad it was going to get. Had we known we might have been more ready. The extent of my winter supplies are a coat, gloves, a hat, a snow shovel, and a bag of salt. No candles, not a single flash light, we only had two fleece throw blankets along with out bed comforter. No cooler for food, heck, not much food that we could even make.

I was forced to go to work at 7pm last night. I had my husband stay there because I had him drive me in (I work at a restaurant, he stayed in our dining room) because I didnt want him driving home and back. It already took me 30 minutes to get there, and I only live two miles away. My car really does not go in the snow. We pleaded for our upper management to allow us to close early. Our general manager (above me) wanted us to close at 5, but the district manager wouldnt allow it. I was told if I left early, I would be fired for job abandonment. Finally they had to let us close when the power went out and remained out. On my way home we encountered quite a bit. I hit two trees, and was almost in a head on collision. The trees I hit due to ice when I got stuck, and when I did get traction, the front of the car slipped sideways into them. Not a huge deal, looks like minor damage to my bumper. About 50 feet later someone was coming down the road in our lane, and we had nowhere to go. we stopped, and hoped they would make it around us. Luckily they did, but now we were beyond stuck. Tried to move, and ended up in the middle of the road, stuck there for about 15 minutes. Tried everything to get out of there, and overheated the car. Ends up, that without help, its not going to budge. Here I am almost 6 months pregnant, stuck in this darn blizzard in the middle of the road with my 4 ways on. I made the call to my parents about a half a mile away, and they are coming out in the truck to try to get us. Before they got there, I see headlights maybe 1/4 mile away. GREAT I think, here they come. Well, this vehicle isnt slowing down, and they are right on track to hit us. My husband is beeping the horn, and flashing them and they are SPEEDING UP. About 20 feet from our car hubby and I decide to bail, they are going to hit us for sure. Im pregnant, and I dont know if an ambulance can make it to us if we get hit. The car is replaceable. Were behind trees in the cowfield on the side of us, hoping we're far enough out of the way that nothing is going to hit us. The minivan stops maybe 6 inches from my front bumper, winds its windows down, and starts laughing hysterically. What I wanted to do was rip these idiots out of their van and beat their heads in, but instead I stay cool and say, you might want to turn around, there is a power line down across almost the entire road that way, and a bunch of trees. Cooks road is clearer. they laugh some more, spin some snow in my face, and go that way anyway. I hope they got stuck...

My step dad finally gets to us, and we get my car going. I drove in the truck with 4wd with him, and hubby drove in front of us. We finally got to our apartment complex, and got the car stuck here. We shoveled out a spot, and got it in and parked. My stepdad called and said he made it home. They just live around the block. Walk into the house, and found no heat or electric.

Now, im fretting, I layer everything I have on our bed, we both dress up in layers, and took the bird into our room. We figured everyone in one room would keep it warmer. I covered the bird with a bunch of towels, and we cuddled up in bed with the dog. I couldnt sleep all night, I went to the dentist last week and had three fillings, all of which fell out. (Dont get me started on my dentist) so I was in pain all night. We managed through the night using our cell phones as flashlights. This morning when I woke up I got a big rubbermaid bin and filled it with our "best" items from our fridge. The milk, lunchmeat, cheese, etc. and then filled the container with snow. My hubby took it out to our yard, and buried it in the snow. So far, its holding up keeping everything cold. Now my freezer is a differnt story. I expect everything to be thawed by morning. Atleast right now I have electric, so can hopefully cook what thaws. My family around the block are all still without power (my entire family - mom and dad, uncle, great aunt, grand mother, and great grandfather, all live in a row, one road over.) If this food does all thaw we wont be able to eat it all. Ill cook it, keep some for us, and take them all something warm to eat. Ive invited them here for heat, but its not feasible for most of them. My parents have 6 dogs and 4 cats, my great aunt and great grandfather both have a dog, and my uncle has my grandmother staying with him, shes on hospice with end stage cancer and is physically unable to get out of the house.

We dad did brake the roads with me today. My apartment complex does not allow us to have karosene heaters, but we were going to get one anyway if anywhere had them and worry about getting in trouble later. We also needed a flashlight, batteries, a battery radio, and wanted a few extra blankets. Our town is a ghost town. Only lowes was open, but they had no heaters of any type, generaters, radios, or batteries. We did pick up 2 of their cheapest flashlights that had batteries with them, a $18 carbon monoxide detector (we were worried out furnace might be putting off carbon monoxide since it was "on" but not running. Oh yea, I got a pack of toilet paper too, since we dont know how long this storm will hold out. I walked out of there spending $93 on stuff that would have cost me $40 at walmart. Really ticked me off, but it was the only place open.

I guess this was a long rant, but I needed it off my chest. Never again will we be unprepared like this. Our state has emergency shelters with heat, but none within 25 miles of me.

Anyone have any tips to use in a situation like this? We cant get ahold of a heater, generater, extra batteries, and all stores including gas stations are closed.

Im crossing my fingers our power stayes on, but it does not look promising. If the power goes out, so does the heat. Right now I have my heater cranked up on high, so that we get some heat built up in here, then hopefully if the power does go out, it will stay warm throughout the night.

This all sounds SOOOOO familiar! That was me a week and a half ago.
default_smile.png

At least you still have power for now. I will be praying for you that is stays on.

I am one of the nuts that prepared for Y2K. I have oil lamps, candles, the kind of flashlights that you shake to charge and a kerosene heater (I don't like to be cold). It turns out that 3 years ago our heater broke and was so outdated that we could not get parts. We used the Kerosene heater for the past 3 years for the only source of heat for our 1800sq ft house. So it more than paid for it's self. I put a new furnace in this year. It is good to have extra blankets and all of that other stuff on hand especially if you live where it gets cold and the power can go out.

I wish you were here. I'd take care of you and wrap you up in bubble wrap and make you stay in bed until the baby comes.

We had quite an episode up here the first winter, very unprepared and trapped up here without power forever. We too used black garbage bags and kept our food outside in the snow.

As for the bird, we took him out of the cage and Jerry kept him under his flannel shirt. We closed up every room in the house and all stayed together in one room which helped a lot and the dogs were under the covers with us. Good thing we have a good sense of humor because my mom, a heart patient was still alive at the time and very scared and so were the kids who were still little. We told a lot of jokes, sang a lot of songs, and played every game we could think of in our heads.

We learned a hard lesson.

The first thing we did afterwards was get rid of the electric stove and get a gastank and gas stove so I could still cook and have plenty of hot water. I"m sitting here right now with candles and flash lights in every room, plus we have those little hurricane lamps in each room which give off lots of light. We don't have a generator but that is on the list for when we can.

Stay warm, stay safe.

Hubby is still making fun of me saying my maternal instinct FINALLY kicked in full swing. All this crap, and all I complain about is how that no good, *&^*%&%#&^%& (*^&^$&^ *&%^&^$%&%* could have hurt my baby and if I EVER see that van again.... I was ready to rip those idiots out of their van by their hair.

All this crap, and all I complain about is how that no good, *&^*%&%#&^%& (*^&^$&^ *&%^&^$%&%* could have hurt my baby and if I EVER see that van again.

default_nono.gif
Ok stop now. Its over. You'll give yourself high blood pressure and land yourself in the hospital early. Calm. Calm. Calm. Make yourself a nice cup of hot tea and go to bed and stay put.

I mean it too!
default_wub.png

You've obviously realized that you gotta be pro-active when there's any kind of serious "warning" out there. The first warning out after I moved to Florida got my attention enough to send me to the store, but I still didn't really know what I was doing. Sooooo I just started watching what other people were doing. I'd follow behind someone and get whatever they just put in their basket. Learned real fast that things like candles, batteries, canned goods, a manual can opener, are must haves.

Man I thought I was in a mess you really had it bad with no heat and electricty. I feel for you, I'd have to take my dogs and go to a motel cause otherwise I wouldn't know what to do. I do have candles, and a bbq to cook on, flashlights, extra blankets, can opener, Beer bottle opener=yes I'd drink it warm or better yet put it in the snow.... can goods, I JUST HATE BEING COLD. HATE IT!!!!!!! Hope you can stay warm, TJ

We don't get blizzards, but do see some hurricanes/troical storms from time to time. We always have our hurricane supplies - including a generator we bought after Charley. Thank god we have never had to use it.

Hoping for much better weather for all of you suffering this winter.

Barbie

Well, my parents are still without power. Unfortionately they lost an entire tank of fish, and we're not sure how much longer they can keep the big tank alive. My mom said she feels terrible, and I tried to reassure her there is nothing more they can do for them other than what they are doing. We're supposed to get another big storm tonight, of course I work the closing shift at work so probably wont get out until 2 or 3 am. My car hasnt been able to start since we parked it after hitting the trees friday, so bless my parents, they are driving me to work. Luckily I only work a couple miles from home.

I landed myself in the hospital lastnight. I finally got ahold of my doctors office yesterday afternoon and told them I hadnt felt the baby moving since friday morning, and that I have been very dizzy, almost fainting everyday and I was worried. They sent me in to the hospital and just as you could guess, they baby started moving as soon as they strapped the fetal monitor on me. Actually, he was kicking it the whole time it was on. My blood pressure is very low, we are going to see if we cant get it better without medications. I also have glucose testing scheduled to see if I have gestational diabetes. They think it is likely I may have both which is what would cause the dizzyness.

Forgot to mention, news said we're getting another 12" tonight, and its already coming down. Luckily hubby had a friend drive him to the store yesterday and get more supplies. Later I'll upload a picture of the milk coolers from our walmart and giant eagle, they didnt have a single milk in the entire store.

They just showed empty dairy product shelves in stores on national news. One lady said she bought soy milk then said "shhhhh".

We here in central Mo have about 5" of snow on the ground, but really lucked out with all the storms going around us. The ice storm went south of us and this latest storm (just finishing up here) has primarily stayed north as it moves eastward.

Wow, that's some severe weather you guys are having. I also HATE being cold, I don't know how I would cope. Once you can get out and about, it might be a good idea to get an 'emergency' kit together for times like this.

I keep a pretty well-stocked pantry because I read once that most stores only have about 48 hours worth of supplies on hand. That just isn't going to cut it in an emergency of any length and I don't want to be caught without what I need. I also don't want to have to rush to the store when the crisis is approaching, but rather be prepared for any eventuality, be it a snow storm, earthquake or other tragedy.

Hearing about the empty milk coolers prompted me to write. I keep a supply of powdered milk on hand. I know most people don't like to drink this stuff, but truly if you mix it by the right proportions and let it sit a day before you drink it, it's OK. With just my husband and I, we're not big milk drinkers anyway, so I have it mostly for baking and cooking. I also have several cans of evaporated milk on hand as well.

Here's the kinds of things I have in my pantry that is in a room in our detached shop. I do try to rotate them (like move a bag of rice into the house to eat and replace it with a new one, things like that). This list is not inclusive and is just what I can think of off the top of my head:

10 pounds rice

25 pounds red beans (will last forever in a sealed horse supplement bucket! but I do use them too)

lots of pasta of several shapes

2 bricks of velveeta

20 cans of tuna

several cans of salmon and sardines

peanut butter

lots of canned veggies (diced tomatoes and sauce) and fruit

oatmeal (rolled and steel cut)

flour

whole wheat flour

cornmeal

baking powder and soda

brown and white sugar

salt and pepper

spices/herbs we use frequently

yeast

refried beans

honey

things I canned: pickles (bread and butter, and dill), many different types of jam, salsa

chocolate chips! (the 10 pound bag of Ambrosia from Costco! very important!!)

nuts in the shell: walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts

Now of course I have a chest freezer full of various meats and produce from the garden, but I do want to have enough protein other than that stuff, because if the power goes out for longer than a couple of days, that stuff is not going to last.

I have a grill with a side burner, so I have one propane tank on that and one filled as a back up. So we should be able to cook in most any situation.

Things I still need to do: We don't have water if we don't have electricity. There is a way to install a hand pump on your well-head that does not interfere with your regular set-up. http://www.bisonpumps.com/ I would like to do that, but it's about $1200 for the pump and the pipe to the depth of our well (270 feet). I better save up for that. The other thing I don't have in my pantry is some kind of fats...oil, lard, butter. I really need to research the shelf life of these things we will need to use to cook with and get some in stock. I just thought of another one...I don't have any condiments either, other than the usual backup one of ketchup, mustard and mayo. I need to think about that too.

Can you tell I have thought about this? Sheesh, I need to get a life!! Of course you notice this entirely has to do with food! I have thought of the other stuff like oil lamps, batteries, etc...but not to this much depth!

Jayne

Latest posts

Back