Michael's been gone 5 years today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
It’s incomprehensible that Michael has been gone this time for five years. Sometimes I feel like its been 50 years, yet other times it feels like he’s only been gone a few days. When I’m awake I daydream about him and when I go to bed at night, I hope for a long dream about him so I can wake up with a smile. Sometimes I feel like he was only a dream that I made up in my head and the rest is a nightmare that never really happened. I miss him so much.

There’s no just picking yourself up and moving forward quickly, it’s a slow process. I remain hateful towards Michael’s killer although I try to keep that part of me in check and I do not let it control me. I will never forgive him and that is my right. Drunks and drug addicts who get behind the wheel of a car should not have any rights as far as I’m concerned.

I do various volunteer work with a few organizations and ironically I find I am also am in the “ child death” business of all things. I volunteer my time with people who lose their children in my surrounding counties, especially in a violent way. I furnish appropriate literature, general information, links of interest, list of counselors, some candles, poetry, angel pins if I have them, and try to prepare them for visits by the authorities and media. I make every attempt to eliminate some of the shock factor that comes with it. The media likes to make a sensational circus when there has been a tragedy. It’s ironic that I can help someone else, when I’m still a work in progress. I know this sounds morbid but its what I feel needs to be done. Three days ago a young mother who practically grew up in my back yard with the rest of the neighborhood kids lost her toddler in an accidental drowning. This is the first time I’ve worked with someone I know and it’s especially heart wrenching. Dan showed up to help me on this one thank goodness since they are close and he’s also a friend of the baby’s father too.

I have meltdowns that I wouldn’t wish on anyone. It actually hurts physically. There are times I need to torture myself so I get out the photo albums and videos of when we were a normal crazy family doing normal and crazy things and watch them until my eyes sting from tears. Then I get up and carry on again until the next time. I think if anyone reading this has struggles, you might try to find an outlet by finding a hobby or doing volunteer work. Although I feel there is something perfectly acceptable about wallowing in self pity from time to time, for me, the pain is not so intense when I stay very busy.

My husband thinks it is best for us if we relocate for a lot of reasons but one is because we have to drive past the place where Michael was killed daily, its right by my house which causes constant upset. Every time an ambulance goes down this road or a helicopter is overhead my husband goes into a tail spin thinking Dan’s been in a wreck. We also put our other 15 acres up for sale in the valley which happens to be on the same road, just a ¼ mile, as the cemetery and I don’t want to live near there either. I know it sounds like we're all gloom and doom but we're not. We share smiles and give ourselves permission to crack a joke and have fun like anyone else and go about our normal daily routine.We just carry a heavier burden than most.

Leaving this on a better note, this seems like a good time to share my really good news: Dan got engaged on Valentine’s Day. There was supposed to be a very long engagement because she wanted to get through the Police Academy to be a Swat Team cop like her father. BUTT!!!!!! We all just found out she is pregnant! I’M GOING TO BE A GRANDMOTHER in January!!!!!!!!! I’m over the top excited as you can imagine. I’m going to be the best overbearing pain in the butt grandmother ever and teach that baby how to hang Christmas lights before he or she can talk! Thank you to everyone again that has been so supportive of my family over these past five years.

Much love to all.

This was taken about 3 hours before Michael was killed

MichaelandIT2-2.jpg

Dan and Ashley

DanandAshley002.jpg

Marty,

Their is nothing I can say about Michael except I am so sorry(I have read the posts over the years and cannot imagine). But I did want to say that I think you are a very strong woman and I think it is amazing that you help others in their times of need also.

I also wanted to say congrats to your son Dan on his engagement and congrats to you (and them) on the upcoming baby!

Tessie

I know nothing I could say could ever even touch the pain you've experienced/are experiencing, but i'm sending you a great big huge cyber hug Marty.

Congratulations on Dan's engagement and baby on the way! You'll make one awesome grandma
default_smile.png

((((hugs)))) to you Marty! I think of all of you often......and those darn white things
default_new_shocked.gif
default_rolleyes.gif

Huge congrats to Dan on the engagement and best wishes to everyone on the upcoming baby!!!
default_aktion033.gif

~kathryn

Marty, I cant imagine the burden you carry or the heartbreak that you feel. I cant even begin to imagine if I ever lost my son. Im glad that you have found a way to not constantly dwell on losing Michael, even though he's always in your heart.

Its great news that you'll be a grandma! I know its the best thing that has happened to my parents in years. I have never seen my dad smile the way he does when hes playing with my little one. Im sure your grandbaby is going to love the time they share with you, I bet they'll LOVE all of your Christmas decorations!

Marty,

I'm honored and humbled to call you my friend. Sometimes when I think my life sucks and I just can't take it anymore I think of you and realize how strong people can really be...even when we don't always want to. I never met Michael, but I pray to him and I think he hears me. I think he is an angel watching over all of us and now he has a very special charge - a little niece or nephew to smile upon.

Hugs to you my dear friend. And congratulations on becoming a Grandma in January.
default_wub.png

Marty. I am still so sad at the world's loss of your Michael. I think of he, and you, quite often. I am glad you are able to help others. I am sure you are very good at it.

But, but, MARTY!!!! YOU ARE GOING TO BE A GRAMMA!!!! That is beyond fabulous news! You are going to be one heck of a gramma, and just look at Dan he looks so happy! And Ashley! YOU HAVE A DAUGHTER NOW, too! What a beautiful young woman.

Congratulations to you all.
default_wub.png

I was thinking of you yesterday Marty and sending prayers in the hope of helping you get through another sad anniversary.

I'm thrilled to hear that not only are you gaining a daughter, but you are going to be a Grandma. Sending my good wishes and congratulations to you all.
default_yes.gif

Anna

Dear Marty,

My prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family. You are certainly an inspiration to a whole lot of people. Many hugs. Very touching video.

Congrats on becoming a Grandma and gaining a daughter...I have a feeling you are going to be the best Grandma ever!

I still feel your pain too Marty. What a lovely tribute to Michael...both your writing(post here) and the video. CONGRATS on your soon becoming a grandma! That is going to be one spoiled (with Gramma's love) child!!
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Marty, I was posting regularly in LB when the accident happened, and I remember the horror we all felt at your incomprehensible and heartwrenching loss. My heart just ached for you. Your posts shared with us all the absolute horror and utter despair you were going through. And reading your post today my heart still aches for you and the tears came readily. Nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING, can ever mitigate the emptiness.

But wonderful news on your new grandchild! Will this be your first? (I have 6... so blessed)! If it is your first, you really are in for an incredible ride! Our youngest two grandkids, a 3 year old boy and his 8 year old sister, live right across our hayfield and I can see their house when I'm on my deck, so we see the kids every single day and the joy they bring us is incredible!

We are all going to share your joy when the little one arrives! And you will be head over heels! And just wait till the child is around 2 years old.... THAT'S when the fun really begins!

marty, i will always, ALWAYS remember how comforting you were to me when gary died even while your own unimaginable grief was still very fresh. to this day, i often remember your kindness and your words of wisdom. i told myself many times that if marty can do this, so can i. you truly have no idea how much you helped me and i am sure, how much you have helped others.

HUGE congrats to dan and ashley...from the looks of them, that is gonna be ONE PRETTY BABY!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

Hard to believe so many years have passed.....Your announcement made happy/sad tears come .........Michael is obviously still a part of everything. And many blessings to Dan, his future wife, and the child to come!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh Marty CONGRATULATIONS You are going to be a Nana

And Dan is going to be a Daddy

default_new_multi.gif
Please keep us posted, will they be finding out the sex?
default_new_multi.gif

Marty,

I can't even pretend to know how you go on day to day. I can't imagine a loss as great as yours. My heart goes out to you and your family ((((HUGS))))

I also want to congratulate you and the kids on the fantastic news of the new addition...you ARE going to be an awesome granny
default_wub.png

Marty, thinking about you and your family today and everyday!!!! What a wonderful grandma you will make - enjoy your new "daughter" and it won't be too long when that grandbaby is here for you to spoil rotten!!!! Can only imagine what your Christmas decorations will look like!!!

((((HUGS))))

Barbie

Hi Marty. I just came in to let you know that I have been thinking of you and your family on this terrible anniversary. Bless your heart for all you do for the other bereaved families. No one else can understand the loss the way another person who has gone through the same thing and, with your extraordinarily kind heart, I'm sure your efforts go a long way in easing the pain and anxiety of those other families. May God continue to bless you and the work you do. Of course my heart goes out to the rest of your family, too, as you remember Michael.

Such wonderful news about Dan and Ashley!!!! Congratulations to them, and I wish them a long lifetime of happiness and prosperity.
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

And as we were all here for you through your unspeakable loss, so we will be with you as you await and welcome the new life into your family in January! I wish we could name the baby after Lil Beginnings and Michael. LOL!! I think, in my mind anyway, I'll refer to the baby as Lil(y) B. Michael.

With much love to you and your family,

as always,

Judy

I almost didn't read this topic as my heart hurt enough from your FB posts and just knowing Michael's been gone five years but I'm so glad I did.

Marty said:
Dan got engaged on Valentine’s Day. There was supposed to be a very long engagement because she wanted to get through the Police Academy to be a Swat Team cop like her father. BUT!!!!!! We all just found out she is pregnant! I’M GOING TO BE A GRANDMOTHER in January!!!!!!!!!
OMG!!!!! You're kidding me!
default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked
default_new_shocked.gif
There is no WAY Dan is old enough to be a papa! Holy cow!
default_new_shocked.gif
:shocked Have I mentioned
default_new_shocked.gif
? LOL. Marty, congratulations. You are gonna be the world's best grandma and that baby will be so spoiled. Wow. I'm so happy for you. Congratulations, Dan and Ashley.

Leia

Marty, I can only feel you pain. I never forget Michael as we share the same birthday just years apart. Congratulation to Dan on his engagement and the upcoming baby. I know you will be a wonderful grandmother(I've been there 5 times) and you are on the trip of a lifetime.

Take care Dear Friend.

Davie

Latest posts

Back