Newborn foal with deformed foot; advice please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a wonderful way to start my day - with great news about Sweetheart. Sounds like she will have a wonderful home and do a lot of good. Thanks for taking such great care of her.

Barbie

That just made my day!!! I'm so happy for you both,she is sure to touch many more lives
default_wub.png

What a WONDERFUL feeling it was to read your post!!!! Thank you for taking such good care of her and helping create a wonderful life for her.

What a blessing!!! So happy for you and your precious foal!!!

Your update brought tears to my eyes what a wonderful update on sweetheart. My prayers and blessings are still with her, you and her soon to be new family.

There are many Angels in disguise...you and your husband and this new owner for Sweetheart are certainly some of those among us. Prayers and hugs
default_wub.png
for all of you.

I was hoping beyond hope that there was a miracle for your little Sweetheart. I just can't believe it has come true. What happy happy news. You all have done such a fantastic job keeping her going and getting her nursing. How did you make a her a little support for her leg?

God bless you all for sticking with it. Go Sweetheart Go!!

Last edited by a moderator:
What a beautiful update
default_smile.png

I am so relieved to hear that the little one will be well cared for and that she will serve a wonderful purpose in her life.

Thank you to the special person who is helping.

I am so elated to update that Sweetheart has been picked up by her new mom today and that she continues to amaze us with her ability to adjust. She is now an energetic and mischievous little filly, bouncing everywhere despite her foot deformity. She has adjusted well to wearing her splint and does not let it hinder her from enjoying life. Her new owner is so enthusiastic, optimistic, and has such a desire to better this little filly's life. She has already gained our respect for taking this little filly and planning a life as a therapy horse in military hospitals, nursing homes, etc. Just in less than a day, this little filly has been to Pet Smart, ridden in a shopping cart, gotten new booties, and has a new prosthesis/splint in the making. She is now playing in a motel room in TN and being loved and enjoyed by her new owners. They keep us updated every few minutes. She is doing great!!!

Sweetheart's (there may be a new name in the making too) future now looks much brighter for her. Thank you, thank you to her new owners from the bottom of our hearts. Enjoy her, look after her, protect her, and may she bring much happiness to you in return.

I am sure the new owners will make an announcement soon but in the meantime, you are invited to view Sweetheart's myspace page at myspace.com\sweetheartmini

[SIZE=24pt]AWESOME!![/SIZE]

I'm so happy for her! Bless you all!
default_wub.png

I can see a big improvement in the 2 weeks since she has been born.

Hope you do not mind me asking a couple of questions.

Does she drink from a bottle or dish, and she can eat hay at 2 weeks old, oh my would not have known?

How is mom doing with her gone, or has she not been with mom.

Sorry did not read all the pages, so these questions might have already been answered.

Bless you and her new Family, that is amazing, how she is getting along.
default_wub.png

That is fantastic that everything worked out so prefectly for this little girl! What a wonderful life she is going to lead
default_wub.png

I am so happy that she has found a new home! I have been keeping up with her information since the beginning and sending all prayers I can to Sweet Heart and her family! I have checked out her myspace page and added her as a friend, I am so happy the new family is going to keep everyone updated on her. Apparently her new mom told me that they were going to do some excercises with her front legs to help them get stronger so she does not have to put so much pressure on her splinted leg. They are so happy to have her and they told me she is doing wonderful!

In regards to the "new name" they want to see how bright her personality shows and give her a "barn name". Her name will forever be Sweetheart in our hearts and minds. Bright blessings to both families!
default_wub.png

Got an update on Sweetheart this morning after her night in the motel room and all is well. To answer some questions, Sweetheart eagerly drinks her formula from a bottle or from a dish. And no, she is not eating hay at 2 weeks of age but it probably won't be long if he progresses like she has been. :)

I was also very concerned about separating mom and foal but even that has gone remarkably well. Really, so amazingly well that it is hard to believe. I had been dreading this day but it seems my worry was all for nothing. Mom looked for her briefly yesterday when Sweetheart left, but only briefly. Then she settled in to grazing and it was almost like she "knew" that this was for the best. All is well here with mom.

Like all of you, I love my horses and would never in a normal circumstance separate a mare and foal at this early age. I do not take this lightly. But when a second chance for life came for this foal, I weighed our options and this was her chance to live a better life. So far, all has worked out well and I just pray that will continue to be the case.

In my opinion, you have surely done right by this filly and I am so happy for everyone that the right (and very special!!!) home came forward. I cannot think of a better way for this to have turned out for your filly
love0075.gif

GREAT NEWS!! I am crying now but it’s the good kind.

If anyone ‘faults’ you for letting her go and be away from mom this early well shame on them! You ARE doing what’s best for Sweetheart by following your own.

Bless you for not giving up on her and providing the best of care for her in these weeks. She was born for this job – deformity and all she was born and placed on this earth with a will to live and thrive so that she can continue to have a wide reaching ripple effect on many many people throughout her lifetime.

Hugs to you for letting her go and doing what is best for her and hugs to her new family for having the compassion to want her and use her as such an ambassador for therapy work

I look foward to more updates on her

Back