Newborn foal with deformed foot; advice please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you again, for the update on sweetheart, And yes, she has won my heart also.

Sounds like tomorrow is going to be very difficult time for you guys, sorry to hear she has not improved, you know what is best.

Thinking of you and sweetheart, bless you for all you have done.
default_cheekkiss.gif
(((hugs)))

You have done everything you could. I don't think the issue with the leg is genetic. To me it seems like it was the way the leg was somehow positioned in utero. I would have done the same as you in all you have tried for your little Sweetheart. My heart and prayers go out to you. It is so heart breaking to have such a precious little one to have to make such a hard choice for them. You will be in my prayers and thoughts to give you strength and piece of mind in the days to come.

God bless little Sweetheart.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am soooo sorry to hear that there is no positive progress - I was really pulling and praying for that
default_no.gif
Please don't waste your time and energy on worrying about anything anyone has said - any one of us could find ourselves in the exact same position and you have been doing all you can for this poor wee foal. Breeding horses is not for the faint of heart and you will need all your strength tomorrow.

Oh, that poor foal, and poor you! This is just heartbreaking.
default_sad.png

Nature isn't perfect, things happen, unfortunately. I'm so sorry that Sweetheart isn't showing any progress, though it would have astounded me if something that bad could be fixed. Best wishes to you, no matter what you decide to do.

Just had to make a comment here.

I too like you come back and forth to Lil Beginnings from time to time. I am older and started late into miniatures. I struggled for several years on my own and then one day found Lil Beginnings. It was like I had spent years wondering lost and finally found people with an abundance of knowledge and experience.

The story of your baby is heartbreaking but without breeders being willing to share these experiences, how will the rest of us learn. You could have kept this to yourself but out of love for your horses you sought help where you had the best chance to find it.

Whatever decision you have to make, I personally will understand you did the best you could for this little one.

Bless you and your little one. And thank you for sharing your experience as I'm sure it's been a difficult one. You will know what's best. Hugs to you.

Precious Sweetheart standing the best she can, I see how difficult this is for you, have no words, just still more
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

I will be praying for you and your little one and I know that you will make the right decision for your brave little one. Take care.....

Just wanted to send hugs to the both of you. Wishing you the best with what ever decesion that you make about this beautiful filly.

I too am a newbie to Miniatures but not horses , I've only had them for 4 years...But I just want to say

THANK - YOU from the bottom of my heart for giving me the chance to see and learn more about what could go wrong should I decide to ever start breeding mini's.. If it weren't for breeders like you showing the truth of what can happen I think there would be so many Mini people out there just breeding for the fact of getting a mini to contuine breeding ..I truly respect you and admire you even tho I do not know you personality I do feel your pain and once again Thank - You for helping me to learn more about the Miniature Horse.

Best of luck to you anf your foal....prayers coming your way...

Jennifer

Does she have a good will to live? It seems like someone on here has a 3 legged mini,is this a possibility? Just grasping here,I can't imagine what you must be going through.

Prayers for you and Sweetheart today!

Barbie

So sorry you and your cute filly are going through this
default_sad.png
Sending prayers for you!

Jessi

SWD

My heart goes out to you and little Sweetheart -- it is such a difficult situation to deal with, expecially when you see the "hope" in the eyes of the little foal. I truly do understand your dilema concerning her quality of life - certainly THE most important aspect of this entire situation. If the vet are suggesting that the leg is truly deformed and that cutting tendons will not help, I wonder if they would consider the possibility of amputating that portion of her little leg and fitting her with a prostethis on a "pro bono" type of basis. Vets are in general a very empathatic group of people who try very hard to do the right thing, but are often encumbered by "costs" and by owners who can't absorb them. An area that you might explore with your vet's asistance and approval would be to look into some theraputic animal orginazations and see if they would be willing to help in this situation with the understanding that little Sweetheard would then come to live with them as a sort of "ambassador" for the human children that are working on overcomming disabilities. I can think of very few animals who would give such a wonderful lesson in life. It is not uncommon for these associations to have a team of vets who work with the animals that the associaton owns and provides vet care on a "pro bono" basis. Wouldn't it be neat if little Sweetheart was able to enjoy a wonderful life teaching handicapped children how to keep a good spirit in the face of adversity.

Again, my heart aches for what you must be going thru

Hugs (((( )))))

Stacy

I am so sorry. How terribly heartbreaking! Sending hugs and support your way, no matter the outcome.

Latest posts

Back