Newborn foal with deformed foot; advice please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen a full size horse foal with a deformity similiar to this. They gently massaged and straightened the limbs very gently stretching the muscles and tendons for a few days. Then once they got it so it was not quite so folded they put casts on to keep them straight. The casts did not do the job and within a couple of weeks they operated to cut the tendons, I believe they more or less shredded them rather than completely severing them. This was successful. The tendons grew back allowing the horse to walk properly. He had shoes put on very early on and was on a careful diet to keep his growth minimal and development slow.

Good luck with your baby! So sorry you are going through this.

Sending prayers for you and your foal!
default_pray.gif
I sure hope they can get that straightened out for her, and I also hope she is strong and eating well on her own by now. I am hoping that with the splints you made this will support her to nurse easier.
default_pray.gif

I just noticed one more thing that might help her. Her hooves look really long even for a new born. I would try to file or take some of the toe off her 3 good hooves. It looks like she is trying to stand on ballet hooves. Ask the vet. If you can do hooves do it or get a farrier out right away. Wishing you stamina and sending lots of prayers for your baby.

Sending my thoughts from overseas, I hope it will turn out for the best for this little filly.

Thank you all so very much for your concern and best wishes for this little filly. I am overwhelmed with your response to this topic and your many expressions of support. It has been a long couple of days but she is still hanging in there. Last night she nursed from mom pretty agressively but today, not nearly as alert and seems to be tiring. She lies down nearly all the time, getting up only briefly to nurse for only a short period. Vet came back this morning for second Tetracycline injection and to assess her legs. Suggested, in addition to splinting the two back legs, that we put a soft wrap on one of her front legs which was not straight. She thought it might give her some additional support to help her to stand and nurse. Vet will be back tomorrow morning to give third injection.

When we unsplinted the back legs, there was not a lot of change. But there is some improvement so we are thankful and hopeful. We have been massaging it and gently applying tension in the correct direction as some of you suggested. Thankfully we are a retired couple so we have been able to spend all day with her and give her support. Someone mentioned that her hooves looked long for a newborn. Just wanted to say the picture was taken immediately after birth and those were her milk toes. But we did do some minor trimming today on her feet to shorten them as much as we can and remove what is left of the milk toes as she could not wear them off. Thank you for that suggestion also.

Also, several have suggested x-rays and possible surgery. We have a terrific vet and, with her recommendations, we will have to make a rough decision in the next few days if she continues to live. Even if we can get her vigorous and strong, there is still the problem with the deformity, making confortable walking impossible, which will greatly affect her quality of life. Our hearts are broken when we watch her struggle to even stand to seek nourishment.

So, we will see what tomorrow brings. Continue to send up prayers for her. I can not bring myself to give this little sweetheart a name yet.

But please know we are trying to help her as much as we can. Again, thank you for all of your suggestions and encouragement. Mom is a maiden mare but could not be more patient and nurturing.

I am just so sorry...

((((HUGS))))

Sending prayers your way, as well as the filly's.
default_no.gif

You know what is best for this little girl better than we do, being we are not having to make any decisions, just suggestions, sure hope you do not mind, what about a bale of straw to help support her so you guys do not get so tired trying to hold her up. I know you are doing all you can and God Bless you for trying.

Have you got a name for this precious girl?

more
default_pray.gif
coming from Ontario Canada

My heart goes out to you. The little filly is in my prayers and you and your husband also for strength.

I don't have any suggestions so have just been checking in.

Charlotte

Oh my, this post is breaking my heart! How sad for you all! Prayers coming your way for your precious little filly!
default_wub.png

~Tammy

My heart goes out to you and your little filly. I hope that things start to look up for all of you. I will keep you in my prayers.

I have delt with this in a hackney foal. We lost him about a week or two after being born but from other causes. both fronts were severely contracted like your little guys. right up against the tendon in the back. At the time the vet suggested hot compresses and streaching the leg many times during the day. We got it so that it would open to about 90 degree's or slightly more before he passed on. At the time the vet suggested a surgery to slice the tendons (slices vertically so they will streach but still there). it was unknown as to weather it would work or if the horse would have sound tendons after (if i recall this proceedure was quite new at the time). Anyhow after the little guy passed on they did the proceedure experimentally and it would have worked fine. I would suggest talking to your vet about this and having it done before you make any drastic decisions (if it comes to putting her down etc). Walking on that leg is not a good idea. our little guy ended up having bad sores on the fronts of his fetlock joints from trying to walk on them.

Tetracycline works with foals and contractions but normally not as severe as this. The surgery suggested is normally in the $150 range, so if the shots give some relief, after an X-ray for determining if the joint is involved or only the tendons, surgery may be a resolve.

Prayers for all of you. These things are very stressful and I know you are spending a lot of time with this as these newborns need to nurse about every hour
default_wacko.png
Not our human schedule, I know. It plays havoc with our own ability to function as I've had a foal that needed to be held up to nurse for 2 days after birthing! I wish you the best and know you may need to make a hard decision. Bless you for your efforts to try and help this little gal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my gosh!

I will pray for this filly. I have not seen any like this before. Poor little baby, but she will learn to cope with it even if it stays like that. So sorry this happened.

Beth

I just recently got the book Blessed Are The Foals by Phyllis Lose, VMD, and this morning I read a fairly indepth chapter on Contraction in Foals. You might want to look the book up and read it for yourself.

How is she doing this morning?

I sure hope you guys got a some sleep and hope she is doing well this morning,

post when you can
default_wub.png

Back