Newbie in central Iowa looking for fairly close trainer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pam Crise

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I am a newbie just north of Des Moines, IA. I have had minis for quite awhile but am finally considering showing this year. Have been watching and learning - driving at home and on trails. Have also learned alot from you guys on this forum. Thank you!

My minis and I know the "basics" of driving but I would like to find a trainer to work with me and my horses. I'm in need of learning the extended trot, etc. I am not familiar with trainers in the central states area around us so was wondering if anyone could give me some recommendations. Doesn't have to be a strictly driving trainer as I will admit I have no clue how to show at halter and would like to learn! Someone very close would be nice that I could actually take regular "lessons" with or someone that I could spend a few days or a weekend with would also be great. Can't learn it all in a few days but it would give me a good foundation. I have a couple of country pleasure geldings and a new pleasure mare - who I am probably driving crazy because I feel like she knows more than I do at this point and she's probably getting tired of me not knowing anything like her only other driver/owner did!
default_wacko.png
:

I would apprciate any recommendations and contact info you guys would have.

Good Luck Showing has been really wonderful for us. Great enjoyment.

The way my husband and I was taught is by going to the shows and watching.

Going to clinics. Just like you are doing asking questions, and reading and practice, practice, practice.

It is also nice to know you did it yourself. We are learning every time we show.

Good luck in finding a trainer, but if you cannot, try to go to some clinics on what you would like to learn.

:saludando:

I need to add...Doesn't have to be a professional trainer - just someone who is experienced and would like to share! Thanks!

Try this link for resources.

http://www.miniatureequine.com/iowa/

I heard a rumor that the Iowa Miniature horse club was going to be doing a clinic sometime this spring.

I don't know the details but I'm sure watching for them.

WELCOME you are going to have a LOT of fun!

Anne

Hi, I cant help you with a trainer since I am up in northern Wisconsin, but I did want to WELCOME you to the forum. WOuld love to see a pic of your horses. Corinno

Pam, I sure would welcome you to check out the IA Miniature Horse Club website
default_smile.png
Anne gave the correct link above. Lots of fun/informative events and competitions coming up this spring/summer. I am new and there are tons of friendly people in the club to help us learn the ropes of showing/ learning new skills and meeting new mini friends.

As I understand there is a grooming clinic coming up in May by Marcia Barth. I will have the IA Club president look at your post and add details of where/when. Marcia and her son Robby are trainers from Sumner, IA

The club is also putting on the Fun Show on May 28, 2006 at the Central Iowa Fairgrounds in Marshalltown, IA. Click on events on the IA Club website.

You'll also find the club hosting a competitive AMHR show on July 15-16 at the State Fairgrounds, Des Moines, IA

Lots of shows in IA this year, feel free to ask me or anyone for more info. Welcome to the forum :saludando: and hopefully we can guide you in the direction of someone who can help you out. Russ

EDITED TO ADD: Just thought of some folks that might know someone to help you or guide you in the right direction. It would be worth asking.....Richard and Rita Lindahl of Boone, IA. They would be close by you and are very nice knowledgeable mini people(Rita is in charge of mini horse dept. at IA State Fair). Their email addy is [email protected]

They have a website http://www.miniatureequine.com/rracres/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I would LOVE to help get you started--but I just moved from Nevada IA to Princeton, TX. For driving lessons I would highly recommend Three G Farms in Ames, IA www.threegfarms.com. Earl and Mary are very active in the American Driving Society, and their farm hosts the Skunk River Driving Trial in July. For breed showing in halter and driving, give Showtime Training Center (Marcia and Robby Barth) in Sumner, IA a call.

I'm going up to 3G Farms the first weekend in April for two driving lessons w/ a guest instructor they have flying in. They were recommened to me by an endurance riding friend who also drives. It's wonderful to see them being recommended by someone else!

Hi, Pam. The Iowa Miniature club is sponsoring a clinic in May but it will be on clipping a mini for shows and sales. Also how to choose and fit a halter. Free clinic for our club members given by Marcia Barth, it will be excellent.

As for driving Three G's is not far from you. Very nice people to work with and they know their stuff.

The Fun Show will be May 28 at Marshalltown which isn't far for you either, cost is only $10 per horse and you can be in every class if you want. There will be some driving classes there also and some folks can possibly give you some tips too. Look for more info in the April issue of the Short Snorts! Larry

Hi everyone - thanks for all of the welcomes and the info. I really appreciate it. Nice to meet all of you.

Iv'e joined the IA club and am looking forward to the grooming clinic and fun & AMHR show. I have met Rita so I could check in with her and see what she might come up with.

Dr. Pam - thought of you first off but knew you had moved. We use Dr. Howard at ISU and have seen your posts. I have met Earl and Mary and thought of them but thought I would try for someone showing in breed shows first - so I can give Marcia & Robby a call. I am familiar with who they are but have never met them. But for lessons 3G would be better...hum...will have to make calls and decide which way to go...

SkipsMom - I had 2 lessons with Robin Groves last summer while she was at 3G. My mini was lame so I drove Earl's little mare he had raced - can't remember her name. But she was awesome to drive. I learned a lot - would have been better using my little guy but had to get him right first. Mary emailed that she still has auditors space left for April. When are you going to be there for lessons?

Minispots - Hi guys was nice meeting you at the meeting this month. Glad I got rid of all that "big" horse stuff! You guys said you belong to a driving club. Do they do any clinics? Would be interested in joining them and going on some drives.

Corinno - I don't know how to add a picture since I don't have a website!

Hi everyone - thanks for all of the welcomes and the info. I really appreciate it. Nice to meet all of you.

Iv'e joined the IA club and am looking forward to the grooming clinic and fun & AMHR show. I have met Rita so I could check in with her and see what she might come up with.

Dr. Pam - thought of you first off but knew you had moved. We use Dr. Howard at ISU and have seen your posts. I have met Earl and Mary and thought of them but thought I would try for someone showing in breed shows first - so I can give Marcia & Robby a call. I am familiar with who they are but have never met them. But for lessons 3G would be better...hum...will have to make calls and decide which way to go...

SkipsMom - I had 2 lessons with Robin Groves last summer while she was at 3G. My mini was lame so I drove Earl's little mare he had raced - can't remember her name. But she was awesome to drive. I learned a lot - would have been better using my little guy but had to get him right first. Mary emailed that she still has auditors space left for April. When are you going to be there for lessons?

Minispots - Hi guys was nice meeting you at the meeting this month. Glad I got rid of all that "big" horse stuff! You guys said you belong to a driving club. Do they do any clinics? Would be interested in joining them and going on some drives.

Corinno - I don't know how to add a picture since I don't have a website!
Edited: I did get one guy added to my avatar - "Marley" = Winddancer's Just Cavalier

Latest posts

Back