New color test available

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Songcatcher

Reaction score
Valliant, OK 74764 near Texas and Arkansas
Just thought I would let people know that there is a new test available called the VeriSNP which tests for everything at once. Costs $40 and will give you the answer to LWO, Tobiano, Red/Black, Agouti, Cream, SB1, Silver, and Champagne, plus a number of diseases associated with mostly Quarter Horses and Arabians. You can get more information on it at: http://www.dnadiagnostics.com/animal_genetics.html

I have just sent in hair samples for three horses. You might notice that on the form it refers to sending blood or buccal swabs. Ignore that and just send hair samples as you would for DNA testing.

Wish this had been available back when I spent $100 to test one horse for Red/Black, Tobiano, LWO, and Cream.

How cool!! Thanks for posting about this.
default_smile.png

I just responded on the other color thread about the new test. Very good news!
default_aktion033.gif

It will be great to test for every color/pattern where there is a test available, to test at one time for one fee. It will save $$$ and I'm all for that!
default_aktion033.gif

This is great news! I am always doing multiple testing on horses. Now it will be an all in one package!

Thanks so much for letting us know Freeland!

Can the parentage test be used for AMHA & AMHR Papers??
No, and the reason being is that AMHA has built a data base at UC Davis. There would be no way to cross reference to other labs' test results, so they couldn't parent qualify. All labs may not all use the same DNA markers (someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks for the information!! I have several that I have been waiting on to test for pretty much everything. What a savings this will be !!

Sue
default_smile.png

Wow that is a real savings.. I spent twice that amount testing my colt..I am axiously waiting on the results too....

Has anyone done this and already gotten their results back? I am just wondering as I have always used animal genetics in FL but this is a big savings as compared to $25 a test....

I was just wondering what the time frame was from when you send off the hairs to when you get results and if the results are easy to read -- looked like they do +/- signs which I think would be pretty easy to understand but since I havent actually seen them wanted to see what anyone else thought?

Thanks!

I HAVE ALSO SENT A SAMPLE FOR TESTING... THEY RUN THEIR TESTS IN "BATCHES" AND THE TURN AROUND TIME IS NOT GREAT... SO IF YOU CAN STAND THE WAIT IT IS A GREAT DEAL... I AM TALKING ABOUT A MONTH OR TWO FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD AND FROM THE EMAIL I RECEIVED FROM THE TESTING LOCATION. YES, SONGCATCHER IS RIGHT, YOU CAN SEND HAIR... I ASKED JUST TO BE SURE BEFORE I SENT MY SAMPLE. I ALSO ASKED IF YOU COULD PICK THE TEST(S) FROM THE LIST THEY DO FOR $40, THE REPLY WAS NO, THEY TEST FOR EVERYTHING EVEN IF IT DOES NOT APPLY, LIKE HYPP... GOOD DEAL IMO.

default_new_shocked.gif
WOW-I wished I had know of this test a week ago as I just spent more than $200 on my two foals in testing!!!! I am going to test two mares next so I will try these people this time! Thanks Freeland!
default_saludando.gif

Has anyone done this and already gotten their results back? I am just wondering as I have always used animal genetics in FL but this is a big savings as compared to $25 a test.... I was just wondering what the time frame was from when you send off the hairs to when you get results and if the results are easy to read -- looked like they do +/- signs which I think would be pretty easy to understand but since I havent actually seen them wanted to see what anyone else thought?

Thanks!
I have not got any results back yet, but sent in my first samples yesterday.

I first heard of this test a few months ago and the one person I knew who had used it was unhappy because it had taken approximately 3 months to get the results back.

As Willow Tree mentioned, they run these tests in batches, when they get enough samples to pay them to run the test. Apparently business has picked up and they are receiving more samples and are running the test more often.

If there is only one test that is important to you, Animal Genetics is still less expensive. If time is very important, Animal Genetics is probably much quicker. If you want two or more colors/patterns tested and if you are not in a huge rush, this sounds like a great deal.

I'll let you all know when I get the results back from the three samples I sent in.

Is it like 20 or so hairs we send in? I know we need the bulb part of course. Do we tape it to the form? My baby isn't registered or anything yet, is the proper name important?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Joyce, I know for Animal Genetics we send in 20-30 hairs in a zip lock baggie...make sure you don't touch the root end and leave them loose in the baggie. Tail hairs are usually easier to get the roots with...I pull from the top or top side of the tail by wrapping a few around my fingers and giving a sharp tug. Trixie's were easy to pull but Stormy's took forever!!! I could practically lift him off the ground before they would pull out.
default_new_shocked.gif
He HATED me before I was done!!! POOR BABY
default_no.gif

Latest posts

Back