Color Test Results, One Surprise

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubyviewminis

Reaction score
Little Skye's color tests came back Ee/AA/NSB1/NSW1/NTO which makes her a bay based sabino splash tobiano. While before she was born I expected bay since sire and dam are bay, once she was here her only color spots are sorrel. You can see what I mean in this picture, no black what so ever in her forelock color (what little there is). At almost 3 weeks her little forelock hair now is quite long and clearly red only.

IMG_0007.JPG

Can anyone explain it to me?

I have a bay sabino tobiano mare that was registered as a chestnut pinto. Color testing revealed that she's really bay. As a 3 yr old, there are some grey hairs in her mane and tail- that's the 'black ' mane and tail of a bay.

Guessing only but I would have to say due to the white pigmentation in the areas that one would normal see black? And to add with the chestnut color appearance-I have seen bays that are almost chestnut in color and if it weren't for the black legs, mane and tail their coat color looked chestnut.

Regardless of her color she is precious!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sb1 does a pretty good job altering the base color, especially on foals. I would expect some black hairs to come in that little bit of forelock and the ear tips to darken.

Thank you! We were able to give her a small bath yesterday, she kept laying in mama's pee, and found 2 black hairs in that smidge of red forelock lol!

Latest posts

Back