News from the color testing lab

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REO

Reaction score
An email from the lab in FL Animal Genetics Inc

They now have a group of tests that you can do for one price! I don't know what that price is, but it could be money saving for people who like to test!

Since the first test on Splash came out, and I saw horses posted here as testing neg for Splash that I knew (by seeing photos) must carry Splash, I have always said that, like Sabino, I was sure that there has to be more kinds of Splash than just one.

In the email I got, it looks like Splash 1, 2, 3? Do you think they've come up with testing for other kinds of Splash? Or am I not reading this right?

Email.............

Introducing 2 new
combination panels for equine color testing!!

Color Combination
(Red/Black Factor, Agouti, Cream, Silver, Champagne, Pearl)

Pattern Combination (Appaloosa, Tobiano, LWO, Sabino, Splash White 1,2,3)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's 95 for the color panel, and 95 for the pattern panel. Good deal, considering at least with the color deal you'd spend a bit more to cover all of them.

I don't know about the different kinds of Splash though,

I wish they'd give you so many for one price and let us pick which combo of tests we want.
default_smile.png

I wish they'd give you so many for one price and let us pick which combo of tests we want.
default_smile.png
Me too, I've got one mare that I know isn't half of the color or pattern panel, but I'd like to know on the other half of both! LOL

The test for Splash White has always included 1,2 and 3 . I am of a mind that there are m0re out there, I am not certain though, that anyone is looking!

It is a little vague, too- only Lp can be tested for, there is still not test for PATN, there is only SAB1- I am not at all convinced this is worthwhile.......

Oh. I didn't know that the Splash test was called 1, 2, 3.
default_smile.png
I've never used it.

Oh. I didn't know that the Splash test was called 1, 2, 3.
default_smile.png
I've never used it.
It tests for the 3 known forms of splash (I don't know if there are more); I think one type is possible in all breeds of horses and two are mostly seen in quarter horses and paints.

there is only SAB1- I am not at all convinced this is worthwhile.......
Curious as to why you are convinced that this test is not worthwhile. I have a Paint and a Missouri Foxtrotter that I would like to test for this gene and have seen a couple of responses to this test lean towards it not being a worthwhile thing. Why?

Curious as to why you are convinced that this test is not worthwhile. I have a Paint and a Missouri Foxtrotter that I would like to test for this gene and have seen a couple of responses to this test lean towards it not being a worthwhile thing. Why?
Only SB1 has a test available, sabino is a very complex gene; so even if your horse tests negative for SB1 it could still have a form of sabino that does not yet have a test available. So, since it only tests for the one form, it seems to be a waste of money when your horse could have a form of sabino, but test negative for SB1.

We've had several horses test negative for sabino that are clearly sabino.

Only SB1 has a test available, sabino is a very complex gene; so even if your horse tests negative for SB1 it could still have a form of sabino that does not yet have a test available. So, since it only tests for the one form, it seems to be a waste of money when your horse could have a form of sabino, but test negative for SB1.
default_sad.png
- I'm one that had a mare tested thinking that it would show she carries Sabino (not sure that she displays it?). I'd already sent in the test when it was recommended on this board to wait... and it came back as negative...

She's a visual tobiano with a blaze (and tested Tt). When I was growing up - blaze, star, snip, stripe/strip were all considered acceptable for head markings on a tobiano. Now it seems that many feel that that mean that they carry Sabino - as a tobiano "should" have a solid head. Not sure which to go on - but the mare I had tested is, Koalah -

091017koa979.jpg
091017koa976.jpg

and the reason that I had the dam, Koalah, tested. This is her 2011 filly, Flashi. Flashi hasn't been tested yet -

11jun17fl641.jpg
11may17fl115v.jpg

this is the sire, Iggy. Tested homozygous black, no bay, homozygous Tobiano, heterozygous silver -

IMGP3092.jpg

Wonder if I should have had her tested for splash? Doesn't seem like the right pattern to me, though.

Well, it cost me $125 to have Koalah tested (black/red, bay, silver, tobi, sabino) but using those test combos wouldn't have worked
default_smile.png
. Interesting tht they came out with the specials after I did a bunch of testing...

Thanks for letting us know... Wonder if I have that email? Haven't checked today yet...

Tobianos do not have face white at all. Yes they can be Tobiano and still have face white, but the white comes from a different pattern
default_smile.png

A horse can test neg for Sabino and still be Sabino. Their test is only for one type of Sabino, there are others they can still be.

I think there may be Splash and maybe Frame or Sabino running through your horses. (galloping? LOL)
default_smile.png

I don't really see the point of doing the full panel of pattern testing, if you are testing for pinto genes, why would you care about LP? And if you're doing LP, probably not interested in the pinto patterns, unless your horse has lots of white markings... I guess if you are doing multiple pinto gene tests it might be cheaper to do the full panel?

I do think the coat colors is neat, would be worth it if you wanted multiple tests, even if you didn't need all of them.

In Shetlands if is goes back to Royal Lee then Sb1 is a possibility, if it does not go back to Royal Lee then Sb1 is very unlikely. In Miniatures the LTD's Magic Man line has tested to be Sb1 (with Frame of course) and I think Pacific Pintos has found other lines that are Sb1 as well.

Well, in my case with this sort of testing it would have been something of a shock, but not as big a shock as the one I got when a full Blanket filly rolled out of my visually solid Silver Black mare!! I had the foal parent qualified because I had an Appy colt at the time. Turns out my Tobiano/Splash stallion is actually a Pintaloosa, and since he only has LP it would have shown up!

Koalah looks to me to have Sabino- but I would test Flashi (who is gorgeous) for LWO if she were mine......

As Robin (REO) says no face white on a straight Tobiano, but very few straight Tobianos- very few single pattern Pintos at all, and no way of proving it at the moment anyway, Tobiano tries to limit white forward of the shoulder. Unless you are pretty sure the animal has Sab1- I know Joanne at Pacific Pintos always tests for this as she has quite a few Sab1 animals- but unless this is the case there is almost no point in testing for Sabino- I am pretty sure the same can be said for Splash, except it does seem to be worth testing, just not worth putting money on it if the horse is visually Splash and tests negative!!
default_whistling.gif

Frame is also pretty limited in the American Shetland gene pool - Flashi's parents are not from Frame lines.
default_smile.png

Frame is also pretty limited in the American Shetland gene pool - Flashi's parents are not from Frame lines.
default_smile.png
Thanx Lewella! I remember one of Koalah's sisters (1/2?) - out of the same mare was a really nice .... silver Sabino? I don't remember who the sire was... I know that Leah had her in TX for a while, have no idea who owns her now and can't remember the mares name. I don't have the stud book membership to check production records.

Koalah's 2nd filly from this cross IS a minimal Tobiano w/ no facial white. Plan on getting her tested - to see if she got one or two genes - both tobi and Silver. Yes, I will also be testing Flashi as well - probably not until she comes home from being shown.

The foal due in the next three weeks? Can't wait to see what we get. This is like CHRISTMAS
default_thumbup.gif
. Love the tobis and silvers.

Latest posts

Back