New appy Colt with Red Eyes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Fortune

Reaction score
Im sure there was supposed to be something here. But if we can see pictures of the foal and his eyes, we could help you alot more.

Since a genuine red eyed albino horse has never been known to exist I very much doubt that the colt you refer to is an albino.

Please give more information--is this colt a silver? Are one or both of his parents a silver, or carry the silver gene if they are chestnuts?

There was someone on here last year asking about their horse, which had red eyes, and it was finally determined that the horse had severe ASD. That's what comes to my mind when I read your topic title, but please do tell us more.

The mother is a chestnut near leopard with appy, b/w pinto, buckskin, palomino and dun behind her. The sire is a cremello - double dilute - Gold Melody Boy bloodlines (Johnstons Gold Bar X AF Golden Elegance). This colt has color - palomino - with a definiet white blanket - so I don't seehow he could be albino - but I know little about them. I do not know if either parent carries the silver gene - although this sire did produce a silver colt with four white stockings for us when bred to our non-fading black mare with pinto background. If I can get to the computer after chores tonight I'll post some pictures of his eyes - they are not very good pictures because he kept closing them :eek:)

You stallion must carry silver if he threw a silver foal out of a black mare. Silver cannot hide on black, but can hide on red. So, it is also possible that your mare is a) not silver at all, b)chestnut carrying silver or c) a silver who has been incorrectly registered as chestnut. if he has red eyes I would be suspecting the ASD? defect that can happen in silverXsilver matings.

I just did some research on ASD - that may be it. The only option is if the other colt is gray and not silver - but do believe he is silver. The dam of this colt is not intended for breeding with the cremello - but the black app was not old enough last year, so put her with the cremello. This is her first foal. He is beautiful other than the eyes. I will probably get testing done for the mare and sire - and the foal at the U of I and take the foal there to make sure this is what he has. Definitely going to be a pet gelding for someone if that is the case. I will try to post pictures this evening when I get home (after chores :eek:) but have to get them on my website first. Do not know how else to post them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Cathy, I have never heard of that!!! Keep us posted as you find out any info!!!

If the sire has produced a silver, he carries silver- it would "hide" on a chestnut base. It could even be hiding on the dam, and hiding in your colt, since they're all red based.

My first guess would have to be the eye defect as well. You can find a LOT of info on it on Rocky Mountain Horse websites- it's a major breed issue for them (I own a silver and love silvers, so I decided to do a lot of research to inform myself before buying/breeding them)

If this is a new foal that arrived within the past couple of days... SOMETIMES a tight, stressful or hard delivery will result in the foal's eyes being sensitive and bloodshot to the point of redness... and it clears up after a while. This had nothing to do with silver dapple eye problems in these particular cases...

I have seen this happen twice over the years - I know my description is not very scientific....

Last edited by a moderator:
Our vet mentioned the same thing - however, the small amount of the white you can see is normal; one side appears to have a small pupil - the other is almost completely clear red- he did appear to have sight - but yesterday just started going around in circles if mom gets away from him - even when she is nickering to him - he cannot find her most the time. When he did circles in the stall last night, she moved in with her body and stoped him. I have searched the internet for information and found a great deal on the Mountain Horse sight - and also found someone who has a 4 year old mini gelding - who did have sight and now she belives is losing it.

We have a silver dapple appy from Little America I have up for sale - but was backing out and going to partner with a friend on him - but her horses are mostly chestnuts and silver dapple so she is backing out and I don't blame her. He is beautiful and I would love to keep him but I would not want to condem another foal to this. I'm not sure what we will do with the foal - I am afraid if I give him away, when and if he goes totally blind, they will not want him and he will end up somewhere not so great. We use electric fence and know that is not good for minis - plus we are "over stocked" at the moment - until I sell some and get some rescues fostered out - so keeping him is not really an option. However, he is just newly born last Thursday, so I have at least four months to decide!!

I guess I'm going to ask for opinions from those who have totally blind horses - their needs, their quality of life, etc. and then have to make a decision. I was sick last night and did not get pictures of him up - he is beautiful and this is so heartbreaking for us.

If this is a new foal that arrived within the past couple of days... SOMETIMES a tight, stressful or hard delivery will result in the foal's eyes being sensitive and bloodshot to the point of redness... and it clears up after a while. This had nothing to do with silver dapple eye problems in these particular cases...

I have seen this happen twice over the years - I know my description is not very scientific....

First, enjoy your little one while he's a baby, this is his fun time. I've had a few ASD babies (before I researched and learned of ASD) we had thought that they were just "simple", didn't realize it was a sight thing, poor little ones. I still have two of my ASD effected mares, they are pets now, one did well in the show ring in her day but her sight is REALLY poor now, she has a buddy in the herd that keeps watch over her, the second mares sight isn't effected that that badly, the eyes are obviously deformed but she seems to see fine and get around just fine.

One thing to look into for him is a GOOD therapy group to donate him to, he could be placed with a nice family and have a wonderful life, just research the groups WELL, make sure you can check up on him any time you want. A friend and I recently had a VERY disappointing experience with one of the well known placement groups, the horses have disappeared, no one can tell us where they've gone, so research carefully.

There is no reason for him not to live a good and full life if it is ASD, he just needs the right home, and KUDOS to you for researching and making a good decision for him!

Oh, have also had two other blind mares, they were older broodmares and best of buddies, I knew the one was almost blind, she followed her buddy EVERYWHERE, one day the buddy had an eye injury and while the Vet was examining her she ask if I realized that SHE was basically blind! She had scar tissue in the eyes probably from injuries long before I bought her, she had about 10% sight in one eye but you'd NEVER EVER know it, she got around 20 acres like a pro, so we had the blind leading the blind and didn't even know it, lol.

krisp

Latest posts

Back