Neverending Saga: Walmart, what a rip off

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]First of all, whoever is the complete moron that went in and redesigned Walmart and moved the entire store contents around, I want to say @#$%^&*(#$%^&* I have been in 4 Walmarts over the holidays and everyone of them have moved their stuff around the store and I can't find stuff any more. It's all confusing now. It's a wonder I can still find the ladies room![/SIZE]

Now then. Once upon a time I lived in a place that had a beach, schools, a gigantic mall and yes, a Walmart at my finger tips. But this was all traded away to live rural. But who knew that these things now considered luxuries would be far, far, away from said rural home? At the time, not I.

Walmart is a necessity of life for us; A place you can go and accomplish so much in one trip. The boys can get their hair cuts while I get my glasses fixed, pick up some socks for the Hus, buy groceries , grab some school supplies, do lunch with the kids, all in one place. For a busy mom like me, Walmart is a life-line.

Having to travel to Walmart has been a day trip for the last 10 years and so very inconvenient. There are Walmarts in many areas, just a couple of counties away in all directions from me, but to get there has always been an on-going pain in the buttocks. They are located usually within 50+ or so miles of me, but when measuring in actually time, 50 miles can take me 1 1/2 hours to drive, due to twisty mountainous roads in many places. So it's always such a pain to hurry, hurry, hurry, and get there and hurry hurry and hurry to get back home, because I don't like to leave the farm for a whole day. While I'm away, I worry that I left the water running someplace, or a horse got out, or the dogs have to pee or the house has burned down.........Do you know how many times I have come home to find my Tracey sitting in the kitchen with her legs crossed?????? And soon as I open the door, she screams "MOMMYYYYYYY I have to go sooooo baddddddd......and she runs past me like a shot out of a cannon to the yard. Not to mention that while I'm gone out of the area, if it has begun to snow, sleet, or ice, I won't be able to get home at all and be stranded in town. Yes, that has already happened a few years ago and we could not get home for 3 days and were stuck in town. Another saga for another time. So when I hit Walmart, I have to hurry up, grab what I need, and head back home.

In 2005 we heard rumors that a Walmart would be coming to Sequatchie County and soon it wasn't a rumor. They broke ground and proceeded to build Walmart, just 23 or so+ miles from me down in the valley. That's where the boys go to school and where we do our business . How utterly convenient. No more day trips to Walmart. Now I can get there in record time and be home before anyone busts a bladder. This is a gift. Like a dream come true.

So the whole town awaits the building of Walmart very impatiently. And suddenly in 2006 we have a building going up in record speed. The opening was supposed to be in September which was perfect for Christmas shopping. And then some complications set in, something to do with coal mines, and Walmart would not be open now until January 19 of 2007. So the town waited again, and so did I.

On January 19, 2007 the doors to Walmart opened. They should have canceled school because the absentee list was something like 75%.Traffic was backed up along the highway coming in from 3 directions from Whitwell, Cagle Mountain, and Pikeville all headed for the little hand gliding town of Dunlap, who only has one traffic light in the center of town. What a traffic jam. And I was in it. I didn't care because that gave me much more time to sit and review and keep adding to my shopping list and just added to my excitment even more.

I finally reached my destination and went round and round and round in the parking lot forever before I could find a parking place. I was very happy to see that the parking places were painted on an angel instead of straight to help me park my long truck without having to back it up and straighten it up a hundred times.

There were all kinds of entertainment outside the store. Free hot dogs and cokes, a DJ playing some music on this big boom boom thing and the kids that skipped school were dancing in the parking lot and some game for the little kids.

Time for my grand entry. The minute I walked through the doors I noticed something was not right. It was dark in there. Dim. Something wrong with the lights I guess. Then I didn't know which way to turn. Had to get my bearings but I couldn't so I just started walking all over the place. Couldn't find things .Everything in that store seemed very odd and confusing. Then I ran into everyone! Pretty cool to go shopping in a place where every one's your neighbor, but we all said the same thing, that something was wrong with this store and there was. I could not find the stationary department to get my computer paper so I went to the electronics department to see if it was there. But there wasn't anything there for a computer at all, no supplies or anything computer related. So then I needed batteries and the guy and the lady there said the batteries were not in their electronics department and I should go look in the isles up front. HUH?

Then I went to the automotive department and found out it was missing a few things. Like where are the tires? And where are the guys that change your oil? The auto department is missing. So I then went to the craft department for some ribbon and that department was missing also. The whole department wasn't there. As I made my way back up to the front of the store, wait a minute! Where's the hair cutting place, the eye glasses place, the photo shop? Not there. WHAT KIND OF WALMART DID THEY BUILD US? Is this some kind of Tennessee joke cause I'm not laughing. And then I noticed that the floor wasn't there either. They painted the concrete gray. No flooring?????This is getting weirder and weirder by the minute. What's going on here anyway?

Ok, where's the ladies room? I can always get information out of people in the ladies room. You know how woman talk to each other while waiting in line......so Ok there is ONE bathroom in the store. 3 stalls total and 40 some woman in line. Oh this is going to be interesting. And it was. Everyone was talking about how little this store is and all the things that were missing. All the departments seemed to be shoved really close together and run into each other so close that you really can't figure out what you are doing. The men's department is cut basically in half and the all the rest of the clothing departments are tiny.And oh my gosh, there is no plus size section. Horrors! I'm mortified. I did find the bird seed for Scooter though....barely. They devoted a little tiny corner shelf 3 for birdies.

Ok I"m going to go sit down and have a cup of coffee and review,......no I"m not. There's no eating place either. Instead, there are three tiny tables in the front of the store that seat 2. And a vending machine that doesn't take money for cokes. And another one there that has donuts. You are on the honor system to pay. No coffee.

So I finally go to the food side and hope I can find some Fruity Pebbles for resident stud muffin. YES! There they are. And everything else on my food list was there also. So that was a good thing. That was a relief. The produce looked beautiful and I was like a rabbit throwing carrots and lettuce in my cart like crazy. But oh oh......deli? Ok there is a tiny deli, but no roast beef. Bakery? No, but a tiny area with some baked goods on a display in the isle. And all of a sudden, I see a sight that really makes me smile. Here comes my love child........and a bunch of his friends all of them calling me "MOM" and surrounded me with a huge big old group hug. Somebody skipped school..humm Now how come they are out of school? I told them not to tell me......... and then the love child sees his Fruity Pebbles in the cart and that rates me a big super smooch and another big old bear hug, followed by "got a spare $10 bucks? What else is new?

We part ways so I can get back to shopping and I head back out into this Walmart Stupid Center still in search for my batteries and I'm looking at this rack that should have double A Energizers that are rechargeable. Is that too much to ask? And I'm in deep concentration reading all the labels when all of a sudden I feel something pushing me and as I turn around,I screamed and fell back into the battery rack because this 10 foot tall giant Tigger the Tiger has snuck up on me and scared the crap out of me. I am not amused but he has me trapped now at the battery rack and is jumping around in front of me like he is wanting to play with me. And I tell him he should go away because he is embarrassing me but he won't leave and he is insisting on playing with me. So I start talking to him about the batteries and this little store and he kept nodding his big fat head. Finally I told him I really had to go and i was sure he had some little kids to entertain somewhere but he wouldn't leave me alone and decided to follow me all over the place and by this time I was getting very annoyed and terribly embarrassed. So then I told him that my son who is 6'2 and a body builder and his friends were in this store and if he didn't quit following me I would get them to pick him up and throw him over his shoulder and carry him away and bring him back to wherever he came from. That worked! So he finally let me alone to go harass someone else I guess.

Well that was my day at Walmart. So all in all, I think we've been ripped off. All this anticipation for a pretty big let down.I guess I'll still be making those day trips to the real Walmart over in Jasper from time to time. At least now, I'll be able to still by somethings there, save some gas and a lot of time, and it's better than no Walmart at all.

The End

Somewhere in the U.S.A. history books...it should read...baseball, apple pie, cheverlot and MARTY. Your a treasure...ya know that right? If not, I'm telling ya now!
default_yes.gif
:
default_cheekkiss.gif
:

YOU my friend are real "good people" and tell it like it is...like we are all thinking and that's why we love you.
default_wub.png
: Thanks for your posts....they make me smile and feel normal. :cheeky-smiley-006:

BTW.....that might have been Tony the tiger..........ya know from the cereal box.....he thinks your GRRRRRRRRREAT!!! or it coulda been Jerry :eek: ....next time you''ll know when the Wally World tiger gets frisky and wants to bust a move.
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Brilliant Marty.

Incidentally that is what Walmarts have always been like over here- they are also NOT as cheap as in the US- it seems all the European market is good for is screwing money out of people and giving as little as possible back- Typical.

In spite of the ads with Sharon Osbourne telling us that they are REALLY cheap I can get everything far, far cheaper in my "stack em high and sell em cheap" store- and, no, I do not mind the instructions on my shampoo being in Urdu!!

This sounds just like the Walmart that is closest to me (also rural). To go to the nice Walmart is also about 50 miles. Thank God we have Meijers - almost right by the crappy Walmart. Marty it is a shame you don't have Meijer...you'd love it...much better than walmart anyday! Most people here skip Walmart and head to Meijer.

Oh Marty! What a great story.....get to use one of the new smilies. :new_rofl:

:no: Marty,

I think you should send that letter EXACTLY how it is now, to Wal Mart. Address it to corprate......they won't do anything, I'm sure.....but it will let them know how you feel and it probably wont be the only letter they got about the new store :new_argue: . By the way, you are a great storyteller.....I loved it. Sorry it was such a let down after all that waiting
default_crybaby.gif
: .

Alicia

Marty,

Your writting always makes me think of Erma Bombeck. You need to start writting books, other then just childrens books. Just compile your posts from here into a book.

Marty,

That is a great story... so funny :lol: I love reading your stories. You really should send them in to a magazine or like someone else said, write a book.
default_yes.gif
:

Great story Marty. Loved it. I have a sister in Wyoming who has a Walmart as you discribed. She said their Walmart only sells leftovers from other Walmarts. Could it be??? She can never go in and find what she wants.
default_smile.png

Our Wal-Mart that was built about 2 years ago, was suppose to be a "prototype" store. It has the same painted floors, and yes they do dim there lights during the day, they have skylights, and it is part of their help in conserving energy, they say.

But our Wal-Mart has everything----I have never heard of a small Wal-Mart.

My husband and I just love your stories. He is not into computers, but everytime he see me reading the forum, his first words are did Marty post today, thanks for another great smile Marty. :lol: :saludando:

Our rural town has a downscaled Wal Mart. To get to a humongous Wal Mart, it is another 30 minute drive.

Here's the great thing about our hometown Wal Mart: It has HORSE STUFF!!!!

I can get horse feed, halters, wormer, scoops, snaps, leads, treats, supplements, salt blocks, blankets, brushes, and bridles at our hometown Wal Mart!!!! It is great in a pinch if the feed store is closed or if I just want to buy something horsey.

Does anybody else's Wal Mart have horse stuff?????

BTW the humongous Wal Mart in the city does NOT have horse stuff....

:lol: and then :lol: and then :lol: I love your stories. :lol:
Ok........the story was GREAT..........and this was the icing on the cake! Talk about pee my pants laughing! You girls are silly :new_rofl: , I love it here on the Back Porch!

Does anybody else's Wal Mart have horse stuff?????
NO..........ours doesn't.

I strongly dislike our Wally World (that's what Hubby and I call it to ease the frustration) too! It's wayyyyyyyyyy to big, although our lights aren't dim, and we have an actual floor.......I think! Everytime I think I have it all figured out, that's when they fool me, and move things around! I'm usually the one who thinks she has everything she needs on one side of the store, and then meanders over to the food part, only to remember I forgot something on the other side of the mountain..........and make the trek all over again! Geez :eek: ! So frustrating!

You know, I've always wanted to make the check payable to "Wally World", just to see if they'd take it! Now wouldn't that be a hoot
default_yes.gif
: !

Marty,

The walmart that you have described is exactly like the walmart that was built in my grandparents' town in NE TN, they don't have a bakery its all trucked in from the bigger store, they don't have a meat cutter its all trucked in from the bigger store, its a warehouse style "store" They also dim the lights etc. I've been in it twice and decided I hated it. However it is nice for those that can't drive to the bigger store, and it has brought jobs to that area, but also pushed out one or two mom and pop stores that have been there forever. So who knows we'll see how the town handles it, its only been open since mid 2006 so its too early to tell the actual impact of it. They atleast put it right on the interstate so it doesn't overly compete with the other stores in town. I hope it gets better and they decide to put more things in it for you and your town. They have decided to add some more stuff to to the store I was referring to so maybe they will for you also.

Karen

Super story, Marty!! :aktion033:

I agree that you are the next Erma Bombeck-- I loved her! Get to writing more, woman, and sell articles and books! you ROCK!!!
default_wub.png
:

Oh Marty this is wonderful. I have to say though we don't have it that bad since we live near a military base. So you kinda have to one in this area or you would ne in trouble. I would die if my Wal-Mart was like that though. I really hope they finish fixing it....

[SIZE=12pt]Great story Marty! The Wal-mart you described sort of sounds like our Sam's Club with the low lights and concrete floors... [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I agree with Alicia about sending the letter to them. It sure wouldn't hurt to let them know how you feel and it may even help make changes.
default_yes.gif
: Plus you will brighten the day of whoever reads it there too! :lol: Thanks for sharing with us!
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Shannon
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

Our local Wal-Mart is like the one you tell about except for the floor and lighting. Just recently they added coolers with frozen pizza, sand. meat, milk, eggs and etc. We have to go an hour away to get to the super Wal-Mart but hardly ever go, we just go to the local grocery store for the food.

I bought a nice photo album with room to write stuff next to the pics and I could add pages at Wal-Mart. I needed more pages but guess what? They didn't sell the extra pages that went with the album, how stupid is that to sell part of something? I finally did find the pages at another Wal-Mart 2 hours away when I was Christmas shopping so I got extra.

Leslie

Marty...this is what I PM'd you about....Ya best get off yer goofy arse (can I say that here?), start writing books and makin' the big bucks. I'm gonna start callin' ya Marty Bombeck! You're a hoot my silly friend!! :aktion033:

We HAD a nice normal sized WalMart about 30 minutes from my house. We also refer to it as "Wally World". Hmm, I wonder if we could write our checks to Wally World hmmmm.... :bgrin This one wasn't a Super Walmart and it certainly wasn't an economy sized Walmart either. I love Walmart! But then what did Bowling Green, Ohio decide to do??? Tear down a perfectly good store that was about 10 years old and build a Super WalMart!!!!! No, I'm not kidding...they didn't utilize any of the old building...THEY LEVELED IT and started from scratch. :eek: What a bunch o' dimwits!!
default_wink.png
: I do have to say tho that the Super WalMart is very nice. We have floors and lights and even music!! So I guess in that, we're blessed. But a day at the SW is a long day. I can't just run in and run out because like Soggy, I too meandor from one end to the other. Stuff is hard to find and it's WAY to stinkin' easy to buy more than what is on your list. By the time I get home, I'm ready for a nap. That's when I realized I forgot to pick something up!
default_wacko.png
:

It wouldn't hurt to let Wally World know what ya think of their new store...cuz sister, you got robbed!!

Thanks for the laugh! I await your next adventure :lol:

-Janine

I have not read eveyrones replies but i Have to add in here that this is our Wal-Marts all over in California. I went to Texas last year and we stopped at a WalMart adn I about died! They had FOOD!!!! I mean a real to life grocery area. And it just went on and on and on. i coudl not believe the stuff they had in there! OMG!!! :new_shocked:

All we have in ours are basics to get by. Our food isle consists of a few boxes of crackers, some cereal, addn some soda. Then when we went to Nationals In Tulsa I actually grocery shopped at a WalMart! I never thought i would say that. WOW!

Back