Needing a new camcorder

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainMeadows

Reaction score
Hi Guys

OK - I am NOT techy at all and could use your help/suggestions. I have a pretty fancy Sony camcorder that is about 10 yrs old, but it was spendy when I bought it (like $2,000
default_new_shocked.gif
) It uses the mini tapes and has a slot to put an accessory on it that will capture a frame on a floppy disc - yes a floppy disc. The problem is, my computer is a Dell and it isn't recognizing the floppy discs these days - so, I guess I could go and get that changed out for the computer -- but when I mentioned this at work I got a roll of many eyes and everyone told me that I should just step into the present and get a new camcorder that can plug right into the computer and copy my videos directly onto a DVD or onto U-Tube or something like that.

Soooo -- what do you think? I am not opposed to getting a new camcorder - as it is right now, I can't copy the video over to my computer so I copy it to VHS tapes and send those out and a lot of people don't have VHS anymore -- but -- what camcorder would you recommend for being able to take some horsie type videos and make it easy to transfer still pictures and copy the video to a DVD or put it on photobucket or u-tube.

Help ya'll ! ! !

Stacy

I got a Panasonic hard drive camcorder SDR H40 about a year or two ago and have been pleased with it. It can record up to seventeen hours of video which is handy because I tape plays and musicals for our church or that we do and that is handy. There is a pretty good learning curve on it, but once you figure it out it works well.

Good luck.

Im looking at buying one too and one of the most reasonable with the best reviews seems to be the sony handcam with 60X zoom. Best buy has it for 299.00 but its on ebay for about 180.00

Thanks all - we bought a JVC today - it seems pretty "dummy proof" which is exactly what I need. Went up a couple of notches to get one with 1080 dpi because it captures stills of moving shots really nicely - haven't used it yet - had a little setback last night when I wiped out in the barn, went down and broke 2 ribs - I can honestly say that it is one of THE most painful things that has ever happened to me - so, needlesstosay, I am moving really slowly for the next couple of weeks!

Stac
default_saludando.gif

Thanks all - we bought a JVC today - it seems pretty "dummy proof" which is exactly what I need. Went up a couple of notches to get one with 1080 dpi because it captures stills of moving shots really nicely - haven't used it yet - had a little setback last night when I wiped out in the barn, went down and broke 2 ribs - I can honestly say that it is one of THE most painful things that has ever happened to me - so, needlesstosay, I am moving really slowly for the next couple of weeks!
Stac
default_saludando.gif
You'll love it! Plus, you'll be able to take stills right off a video, too. And take regular still pictures.

Ouch on the ribs! I never broke any but my Dad did many many years ago and I still remember how much it hurt him....

Lucy

OUCH on the ribs.......thought I'd cracked a couple last month when I got tossed off a horse. Definitely bruised them and it hurt like the dickens. Take it easy there Stacy
default_smile.png

Jan

Stacy:

Thru a USB port you can also add videos from your digtal camera also as well as your stills. Also external drives hooked up thru your USB port can burn cd's if you do not have an open slot left in the Dell. JVC has always made some good products.

Cracked ribs are hard to heal & are too easy to reinjure. Good luck with them; no ggod way to wrap them for healing.

What happened to Jameela? Was she foaling? Been a long foaling year....

Thanks all - feeling a little better now that it has been a few days - being broken is really inconvenient - I have waaaay too much to do to have this setback!

Stac

Feather,

Jameela "got" colitis and was gone in 24 hours despite heroic efforts at the hospital to save her - hit fast, hit hard, hit with no reason. Colitis is really scarey and most horses have a very small chance of recovery.

Stacy

So have you been able to use your new camera much at all yet? If so, how do you like it?

What about a good program for editing, once you get it downloaded on a pc? I dont know anything about this stuff, but would like a nice camera too and am not sure what I want to look for. I have seen some with all types of options- stills, slow motion, etc.... It all gets so confusing!

Hope your ribs are healing ok- it takes a while and yes, VERY painful. No laughing, no sneezing, no coughing! And NO lifting stuff. You dont want to drive one through a lung or something. That would not be fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
default_sad.png
Sorry to hear about your ribs Stacy!!! Hubby broke his once and he was in so much pain, I pray your ribs heal quickly!!! ((((HUGS))))

Our camcorder is a JVC and has run perfectly, we love it! Great choice!

Laurie, Laurie, Laurie -- you be a much funny girl "No lifting" - yeah, like you can have horses and NOT lift! Of course I am overdoing it - the kids are are banging and clanging for their breakfasts and dinners - so since I am on opposite shifts from my hubby the feeding chores land in my court.

I probably didn't help myself by needing to help deliver a foal last night and then clean up the stall and make sure that the newbie was "latched on" - but that is what the Vicadon is for - right
default_unsure.png

Every day is a bit better - if I don't wipe out again from my clumsiness, I should continue to slowly heal and feel a lot better in a couple of weeks.

Am looking forward to playing with the new JVC, but am not all that excited about going thru the bodily contortions to get a mini foal in level with the camera, so that project might need to wait a few more days also - but it is good to know that it shouldn't be a big hassle once I do get my fat fanny able to squat to shoot a video

Thanks ya'll
default_saludando.gif

Stac

OH FOR SHAME!!!!! Do you know your ribs can puncture organs if put into a bind while they are broken by your 'contortions'!!!?? NAUGHTY NAUGHTY!!!! I bet your doctor didnt tell you to do all that stuff. You'd look funny going back to ask him to remove one from your lung! (That's ok, I never listen to mine either!!) BE CAREFUL!!!

Ok, we'll wait to hear how the camera works til you can 'bend' a bit better!!!

I am so confused by all the stuff they offer on these things now- memory sticks, discs, digital, not, different pixels, blah blah blah. I dont know what to get! Then there is the program to get to edit it all on and make a disc.... yeah right!

The Dr in the ER was pretty funny - he just looked at my husband after he had given me his orders and said: You can pretty much be guaranteed that she is going to go right back out and start messing around with the horses and overdo it -- I spend pretty much each weekend patching up riders who fall off their mounts and want nothing more than to be able to get out of here so they can go back to the show " Then he finished the conversation with: "Face it Guy, horse people are just DIFFERENT!"
default_new_shocked.gif

Then he looked at me and said - "You are going to be in a lot of pain for the next couple of weeks - it will be up to you to decide how much!"

I thought he had a pretty good grasp of the situation -
default_wink.png

Stac

Back