Need to Vent

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffian

Reaction score
As some of you know, I lost a mare this summer due to an accident. I have insurance on the herd, but the insurance company is refusing to value the mare correctly. My mare was bred to my Thumper, who is the AMHA World Grand Champion Senior Stallion!!

I got the adjuster 2 written appraisals as requested. The adjuster denied that my mare was worth the small amount ($2,500) that I felt she was worth.

The adjuster has lied and slandered me- said he called AMHA and AMHA told him I was being cruel to animals by breeding a 19 YO mare. I called AMHA and talked to registration - no way they would have said anything of the sort.

Since I was at Nationals at the time, I asked our AMHR president if he would breed a 19YO mare. Mr. Parnell looked at me like I'd been drinking - "*Ell Yes, I have mares older than that in foal at home right now!"

The adjuster said in his letter that the 2 people he talked to told him that "they couldn't believe an AMHA judge (one of my original appraisers) would value a horse for that much." As far as I could find, one of the people used doesn't even breed or show miniatures.

So the next step was to get a formal appraisal. Happens there is one of the top appraisals of miniature horses in the country at Nationals. I talked to him, and he agreed to do an appraisal. This person is a noted judge - has judged both AMHA and AMHR national shows. Has extensive background in equine valuation and appraisals, plus just a real nice guy.

His appraisal was professional, just what I would expect from an equine appraiser.

So now it's my insurance companies turn. Granted the adjuster isn't a "Horse person", so he turned to the internet. He found a miniature farm within 30 miles of me that had a great website and has nice horses and ponies.

Now the reason for the vent --- this person, hired by my INSURANCE COMPANY as a PROFESSIONAL APPRAISER called my appraiser, and spent OVER AN HOUR berating him, belittling him, being very rude and disrespectful and downright mean. Certainly not the way a professional horse person in ANY breed at ANY time should act. Then she told him that my mare - bred to the AMHA Grand Champion Senior Stallion -- was worth 50 bucks. FIFTY BUCKS!!
default_new_shocked.gif

Looks like we're going to court, folks.

Oh my goodness...so you are talking about equine insurance on your herd? Am I correct in this? IF so I would be looking for new insurance if they don't even have adjusters that are horse people. I am so offended by this horrible adjustor...they are the people that give us insurance people a bad rap. Don't forget to contact your state insurance commission. Please keep us updated on your progress and if you could please PM me which company you are dealing with because I'm looking for equine insurance for my own horse and to add to our line of insurance products at the office.

default_no.gif
I am wondering why we even bother to get insurance on anything!!!I have seen very little satisfaction from insurance. But you still have to have it.

Catch 22 I guess but I am sorry you lost your marel

Hugs

Bonnie

This is a key reason that I don't get mortality insurance on my horses. I have heard way too many stories like this about insurance companies not paying up at all, or not accepting appraisals.

I am really sorry this is happening to you.

That's AWFUL!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Why would you even have bothered to insure a horse if it were worth only $50? That's just ridiculous!
default_wacko.png

I have a friend who has her entire herd insured, but after suffering a few losses (over the course of several years, mind you) the well-known insurance company dumped her. Because clearly, if you are going to insure anything, you shouldn't have any CLAIMS. (said very sarcastically). Sheesh!

I'm so sorry for the loss of your mare, and for you to have to deal with all of this on top of it. Good luck, I hope you win!

This is horrible and I hate the way you are being treated and insulted. How dare they!

Is there anyone at all that is high up in the company that you can speak to? Like the owner of the company? This is bad bad bad.

By the way congratulations on your big win! Very exciting time for you.

Unbelievable. I'd be after a good attorney and possibly the state insurance board. Good luck with it, hope you get 'em!

Jan

I also would like to know which insurance company is doing this to you.

I am no expert in equine insurance, but there are a few things to know when you purchase it.

If you insure your horse for a specific value, say $2500, make SURE that this is written in as "agreed value." That means that the insurance company agrees that the horse is worth this value and will reimburse it with no further appraisals in the case of a claim.

If you have an animal insured for major medical, make sure that you use it as a "catastrophic policy." In other words, don't nickel and dime them, even if it is your right to do so. You will be labeled "claims sensitive," and they will cancel you. And yes, they have the right to do so.

And sad as it seems, if your insured mare is pregnant when you lose her, it is the value of the MARE that is insured, not the baby she is carrying. It doesn't matter if she is in foal the World Grand Sr. Stallion or Ol' Jimmy Joe from the next farm over. Being in foal to a wonderful stallion does not raise her value.

Ruffian, I am sorry you are going through this. I used to be an insurance agent, and always stood by clients in the case of a loss. Have you been in touch with your agent? What do they say? They really should be representing you in this case and helping you navigate the intricacies of a claim. DEFINITELY contact your state insurance commissioner, and tell the insurance company you are doing so and why. Keep written records of everything. Make them provide you with a written report of their findings and the reasons for their determination. If there is documentation of outrageous behavior on the part of an adjuster then the state will definitely take an interest in the matter. They are there for a reason, to protect the consumer. In small claims court, it will definitely be recognized that you would not insure an animal that was worth $50, especially since the company will typically charge you for some minimum predetermined value like $2000. Meaning that you will pay the premium of a $2000 horse, even if the horse has an agreed value of $1000. In this example, that means that even though you have been paying for a policy worth $2000, you will still only get $1000, as that is the value that has been "agreed" to between the parties.

I know it is really complicated. Your agent should really be helping you out here. Best of luck to you!

FINALLY we have resolution. I kept going up the ladder, and finally got a branch manager. They are giving me more than double their original claim. Finally seen the picture with the help of good mini appraiser.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats their problem? Oh yeh, they are an insurance co. and they just love the premiums you pay. But when they have to pay out, they even want money back. I think if I were you from this point out I would have an appraisal on every horse covered. That way this can not happen again. I talked to my car insurance agent about coverage while towing my trailer. The trailer is covered. The horses are not.

Latest posts

Back