Need to vent about clippers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djskid

Reaction score
I am in need of some sympathetic support 'cause I'm not getting any around here!! :arg!

I finally made the decision to buy a set of Double K clippers this year, after reading about how much everyone on here loves theres. So I found a place here in Canada that sells them and got them in February so I knew that I would have them in lots of time for the show season. I clipped about an inch off of two horses' bridle paths at that time just to make sure they worked, which they did. Then it came time to clip for our first show. I was just about done the first side of my 30 inch mare when......the clippers stopped working
default_new_shocked.gif
I thought they had come unplugged from the extension cord, but no. The motor just won't turn on. I've been dealing directly with Double K Industries since the beginning of May and guess what....the broken clippers are still sitting at my house waiting to be picked up!!! At first they didn't want me to send them to them (they had me get someone to check the switch, which isn't the problem) but they finally relented when I told them that we weren't prepared to do anymore testing on them as they are brand new and are under warranty so they said that they would send UPS to pick them up. Luckily they have a toll free number as I've called twice in the past two weeks alone (after waiting two weeks the first time and one week the next for them to be picked up) and oops...they forgot, both times, to make arrangements for pickup. I am just so frustrated!!

My Dad thought I was crazy to spend that kind of money in the first place for clippers and now that we will probably not have them to use for most of our show season I'm getting teased even more!!
default_wacko.png

I am sorry to hear you are having a problem.

I have had my wall unit for many years and other than sending them in during the winter once to have them serviced (they were working, but I had used them for so many years that I thought they deserved being serviced), they have been used if not daily, at least a few times a week for a dozen plus years.

As we are in the states we have bought and contacted Double K in California directly. I would think your Canadian source should have been able to help you by exchanging the unit for a new one.

They really ARE worth the extra money as they are amazing and durable.

I hope you get this resolved soon.

I know your pain, I had bought some new Double Ks last year and they never did work right, I had them worked on but now the clippers get really hot when they are running and thats just one of the features that the Double Ks aren't suppose to get hot within the first 5 min. you start clipping since the motor isn't in the clippers themselves.

So this year I've started using the new clippers I bought from Wahl called Storm II and yes they do get hotter then I would like but they worked really good.

The only issue I ever had with Double Ks was when my beloved 501s finally bit the dust after many, many years of faithful service. And they no longer make the 501s.
default_no.gif

I am sorry you have had such bad luck with them.

I had them worked on but now the clippers get really hot when they are running and thats just one of the features that the Double Ks aren't suppose to get hot within the first 5 min. you start clipping since the motor isn't in the clippers themselves.
If the blades are getting too hot too fast, you may need to adjust how tight they are... it may have nothing to do with the motor.

I love my Double Ks - and I even have the 20 ft. cable whiich is a godsend.

Last edited by a moderator:
i feel your pain... I have a set of Double K, that just sit in the box. I bought them because everyone said they were so great... well, I don't like them. Mine run just fine, i just find the whole set up too bulky... i use my laube all the time.

You"ll NEVER guess what I use to clip my minis with....

A cheap pair of Wahls from Tractor Supply that are only $38!

They are the maroon ones that use the adjustable blades 10-15-13 that are supposed to be for bridle paths and whiskers only. I own 4 pairs and about 18 sets of blades and have been body clipping my (3- 8 minis total) minis since 2006 with them. I have only replaced on set so far and always get the blades sharpened.

Lets put it this way: I abuse these clippers and they hold up to it like a piece of cake!

I also work at Tractor Supply and sell these to dog owners who have double coated dogs and they love them as well. So many dog owners buy them pet clippers for $70+, and bring them back. So I take them to the harse clipper case and inform them how well these Wahls hold up and to give them a try.

I swear by them and will never buy a expencive set again!

PLUS! TSC offeres a 2 yr warrenty that is defently worth it if they break!

See below, my mini looks pretty good in a cheap clipper cut!

2009_mini_horse_show_GCF_013.jpg

wes_2009.jpg

sentra_2009_1.jpg

100_1876.jpg

A few years ago I decided to order some Double K's. A few months went by and they never came in. I called them and someone dropped the ball and forgot to tell me they were on backorder. Well by that time I decided to just cancel the order because the guy could not tell me when they would come in. I'm glad, because that's when i decided to get my Andis clippers. I cannot say enough how much I love these clippers. I just got a new pair of the Golden series and a couple of weeks ago clipped the boys. Blades cut like a knife thru butter. Very easy to use, and cord is nice and long. I had some friends that had Double K's with mixed reviews. My deal is the bulky cord as someone mentioned already. Personally for me I didn't like that feature.

I have Double K's and I've not really had any issues with them except I wear out the levers which cost about $2.00. Each winter I send them off where I bought them for a little overhaul. It only costs me about $35.00 or so for them to go over them.

I very highly recommend Complete Clipper Service. The mans's name is Larry. He sells them, fixes them, sells parts for them if you care to do repairs yourself and also has blades and accessories for sale. He also sharpens blades too. This guy is honest and works in a very timely manner. If you tell him up front you are in a hurry, he does his best to get to them right away.

http://www.completeclipperservice.com/

I have Double K's and they aren't my favorite, but the do work well. I find the cord a bit bulky for clipping Minis other than to just get the hair off. I tend to use one of the other clippers we have for finer/show clips.

Sorry you're having issues, but they are good clippers it just depends on what you like!

Bummer that you've had such rotten luck. My first Double K lasted almost 20 years before I traded it to Tony toward a new one. Wouldn't use anything else, but it DID take a little bit of time to figure out how best to work with that cable. Now I'll never use anything else. I think if I had had a problem with a brand new one, I would have dealt directly with Double K and not the distributor.....would have gotten MUCH better and faster and much more satisfactory results.

I used to have the Double K, and I HATED them! :arg! Like so many others, I kept hearing about how wonderful they were, and just had to have one! I found them to be bulky and difficult to use, and the blades did heat up very quickly. The same blades did not heat up much at all on any of my other clippers, and I've had several clippers, I groomed dogs for many years. My favorite clipper is the Oster A5 that comes with the wide #10 blade for horses.
default_thumbup.gif

It is actually Double K that I've been dealing directly with!!

I think if I had had a problem with a brand new one, I would have dealt directly with Double K and not the distributor.....would have gotten MUCH better and faster and much more satisfactory results.

Latest posts

Back