Need suggestions (sick horse)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check her eyelids and eyeballs. Are they yellow? Had a mare with similar symptoms once, and it was a bacterial infection of her liver (thank goodness it was not viral-she would not have lived). Easily treated with antibiotics (accompanied by pro-biotics and gastroguard).

It is still possible to be Potomac.It has nothing to do with mosquitos, it normally pops up in pastures that have creeks or streams nearby. Snails carry it onto shore and on the grass, which the horse eats.

We had a stallion with PHF last summer. If a horse hasn't been vaccinated for it, it will most likely die within a week.Our stallion WAS vaccinated and he also had Lyme disease, the vet drew blood to be tested, and immediately put him on meds. Tests both came back positive 4 days later.

If this is the case for you, treatment needs to start now.

Our guy's symtoms(remember thogh that he had both diseases): lethargic,head hung low,won't eat hay, but will grass and grain,walks slowly and painfully,high temp.

Good luck to you, I hope you get a diagnosis soon.

The vet did check the eyes to see if hers where yellow and they weren't.

As for Potomac, their dry lots and pasture are high and dry, and most of the time way to dry. We live on GA red clay and up on a hill. Some of the poorest soil there is.

I am going to try that Natural Plan Stomach Soother and Aloe vera juice. Those both sound like great stuff and natural.

Marty that is fine I won't hit you. LOL

But what I feed is what keeps my horses looking their best and most of it is natural. I am a firm believer in vitamins and take them myself. The poor quality of feed around here and the harsh conditions (poor soil and extreme sun) is hard on the horses in many ways. So I feed things that help their coats and skin and then feed stuff to keep them in good physical condition and weight. I don't like my broodmares to be obese. I truly believe that is harder on them then being to thin so I try to keep them just a little on the chubby side but not the hay belly look. The hay that I can get around here is not good hay so they do get alfalfa cubes and beet pulp to help supplement and the bermuda is just a filler so they have something to eat in front of them all day when they are not on pasture.

It has taken me a long time to get this down right for these conditions but I think I am close. If I could find something with less ingredients I would surely do it but I would expect the same results as I have now. It was much easier to feed in MI because the soil and feed conditions where much better.

My horses are generally very healthy and if they do get a bug it usually does not get them down to long.

Update on my mare: she is perkier and not so depressed but not eating that much still. Hopefully she will turn around back to normal soon.

Again thanks for all the help and sharing your similar problems and solutions with me. It has been very helpful.

Latest posts

Back