need some seller advice...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molly's Run Minis

Reaction score
so i put my stallion for sale on the internet and this morning i got an e-mail asking about him. it was your average e-mail until she asked if he was broke. i stated clearly in the ad that he's only 2 and it would have to be until next year before he would be ready to be put in a cart. this persons e-mail adress also caught my attention, then i checked and he'd be going to columbus ohio! the more i find out the more i get a bad feeling. what would you all do??

:modedit: REMOVED E-MAIL

Last edited by a moderator:
what would you all do??
In the first place, I would not sell him as a stallion.

Secondly, you cannot unsell a sold horse. If you don't think it's the right fit, then it probably isn't.

I second what Jill said. JMO, I would geld him. If you don't feel right then don't sell to them. Good Luck

so i put my stallion for sale on the internet and this morning i got an e-mail asking about him. it was your average e-mail until she asked if he was broke. i stated clearly in the ad that he's only 2 and it would have to be until next year before he would be ready to be put in a cart. this persons e-mail adress also caught my attention, [email protected]. then i checked and he'd be going to columbus ohio! the more i find out the more i get a bad feeling. what would you all do??

I think it is a big mistake to come to a public forum and talk about buyers and inquiries. It will only come back to bite you in the butt. Now you are commenting on the email of the person and what it may imply? I do not know this person on a personal basis but do know the farm has been around for a while. What is the drama about someone from Columbus OH asking about a horse?

Frankly if I inquired about a horse then came to this forum to see my inquiry (which I might not want to be public knowledge just yet) and then to see my integrity questioned when all I did was inquire about a horse who was advertised for sale.. You can bet it would not only be one sale ruined but as a buyer I would make sure and inform my friends that perhaps this seller is not the most professional and to look elsewhere. As a buyer even one not looking at that particular horse it is a complete turn off.

Sounds harsh to some perhaps but a seller needs to be professional their reputation depends on it and discretion is part of that in my book. If you have questions then I would PM or email some privately not out someone and assume they are ignorant or a bad home or anything else when all they did was ask about an ad you posted.

As a general statement not to the OP

I always find it interesting how people can get so judgemental about the horse they are selling- and angry if that horse is then offered for sale a couple years later or is kept stalled or pastured or whatever. If you want a horse kept the way you personally keep it and broke the way you break them- trained the way you train them - then dont sell them..

I think it is a big mistake to come to a public forum and talk about buyers and inquiries. It will only come back to bite you in the butt. Now you are commenting on the email of the person and what it may imply? I do not know this person on a personal basis but do know the farm has been around for a while. What is the drama about someone from Columbus OH asking about a horse?

Frankly if I inquired about a horse then came to this forum to see my inquiry (which I might not want to be public knowledge just yet) and then to see my integrity questioned when all I did was inquire about a horse who was advertised for sale.. You can bet it would not only be one sale ruined but as a buyer I would make sure and inform my friend that perhaps this seller is not the most professional and to look elsewhere.

Sounds harsh to some perhaps but a seller needs to be professional their reputation depends on it and discretion is part of that in my book. If you have questions then I would PM or email some privately not out someone and assume they are ignorant or a bad home or anything else when all they did was ask about an ad you posted.

i didnt mean for this to offend anyone, i just wasnt sure if this was a scam or not. its a big deal where they are because i am in maine and thats a long time for a horse to be cramped in a trailer. and the fact that they asked if a 2yr old was broke also set me off.

Horses travel across the country on a daily basis. If location is an issue for you and you dont want the horse trailerd then make sure you put in your ad only those within a few hour drive need to inquire..

I am 99% positive I recongize that email as I have seen ads from her all the time. All she does is actually train a horse to perform tricks. Thats all it is, and yes they live in OH. Awesome home for a gelding if you ask me.

Something is telling me you don't want to sell this horse. Cause I don't see any red flags popping up. But thats my opinion.

I know this person and she is legit/very good home.. I too agree with Lisa, if you had suspicions on the person/email perhaps you should have asked for Ohio breeders to contact you and then ask privately instead of bringing it to a public forum like this.. And I also agree that if I were her and came here and saw this, you'd just lost a sale..
default_no.gif

And as far as asking if he was broke, did she specifically ask broke to drive? broke to ride? or simply broke, as in handled/leads/trims/clips/trailers etc.?

For future reference,You can always google peoples names and email addresses to see if they have websites, other ads on the internet, or craigs list and so on. Any available info will pop up on the internet. With that said, in my humble opinion, chalk this up to a lesson learned and graciously ask the forum moderators to remove your topic to prevent any further hurt feelings. It is nice that you are concerned where he ends up, but enough said.

First, if you really want the horse sold as a gelding he should be gelded before leaving. Selling on a "gelding contract" is pointless if they don't honour it. I sold a colt a couple years back on a gelding contract and he is STILL a stallion. Second, I've sold horses around the country and always try to politely answer inquiries unless it's an obvious scam such as someone asking to send you a check asap for more than the asking price or something along those lines. I also generally try to restate information throughout e-mails such as age, height, registration etc just so there's never confusion. Chances are good as small as he is he won't be very cramped on a trailer, and I've trucked Shetlands farther than that with no problems.

A lot of people do start 2 yr olds in harness with ground driving and possibly hooking up late in the year for a couple easy drives. I would drive a 2 yr old on easy ground before I started jumping one. Just mention anything you've done at all as far as training and politely state at the end simply "he hasn't been hooked".

Your little guy is very cute and would probably be a perfect fit for a younger youth looking to do performance and fun classes or someone interested in a therapy-type horse because he IS so laid back even as a stallion.

I seem too never buy horses close, and I am always having them shipped this way, and I'm in Canada.
default_biggrin.png

I would want to be more firm with them about his age and training. You have been ground driving him along with many other things. Brag a little.
default_aktion033.gif

Now, that said, I have seen you list this horse for sale as either a gelding or a stallion. IMO, that is unfair; he should be gelded. Period.

I was in the same position a few years ago. Like you full of dreams and goals of breeding. Bought the best colt I could, my first from the USA. Champion bloodlines and I was extremely excited! With age, he truly didn't become what I had wanted; he was a foal that got a little coarser with age and he also didn't have "it". He was a doll and a sweetheart of a horse. He was also was only getting 3-6 placings in a halter class(This is not everything, but it DOES help to see how good your horses it under another's opinion.
default_wink.png
) and IMO for my future stallion that is simply not what I was looking for. My parents were right peeved when I wanted to geld this pony, because he had been so expensive etc. but I did. I also lost many inquires but I felt that if he wasn't stallion material for me, I shouldn't pass the buck. He also had the biggest heart. I had him very very well trained in all sorts of things, tricks, obstacle, halter, ground driving, bathing, clipping, lunging... The list goes on and on. So I gelded him and sold him for a fraction of the cost that I had bought him for years earlier. I sold him to a special family with 4 youth wanting him to drive. It was hard to see my dreams fall this way, but it was the best thing for the horse. He needed youth, and as a show horse, he would have taken my current geldings place or else we would have kept him.

What I learned, is that I am not buying a stallion again for many many years. I'm going to enjoy showing and use an out side stallion for my breeding. After this year however, I'm leaving breeding all together! I could have bought a national champion several times already
default_rolleyes.gif
I much rather just enjoy my horses I have. LOL
default_wub.png

So after that book... I would say you should geld him asap. Before he is sold, before he leaves your property. Not everyone can pick out quality, and there are many like you that buy a stallion, realize it isn't what you'd use, and just offer it for sale. If I could, I'd geld about 80% of all the mini stallions. There are simply far too many, IMO.
default_yes.gif
And before you blame the breeder, this colt may just be something they would use as a stallion. Each person has their own opinion.

Mollys Run, There seems nothing wrong with the buyers request She saw your ad for a kids pony and asked if he was trained. He won't be a kids pony until he is a gelding. I thought you loved him so much that you were going to geld him and keep him? People buy and transport all across the country all the time. He would probably be perfectly fine being shipped to Ohio.

I've bought and sold to far away quite often! There are many shippers that haul only minis and they do very well!
default_yes.gif
If you only want to sell locally, put that in your next ad.

I know her and I'd sell to her in a heatbeat
default_yes.gif

I know you're new to selling minis and you love this boy so you're just trying to be careful. But most people google the persons name or addy.

We all live & learn, it's what life is all about.
default_smile.png

i've decided just to keep him, this isnt worth all the stress i am getting. i'm going to keep showing him and see how he matures and how he does in shows before i geld him. not talking about color, i do like the way he looks.

I don't think his conformation is going to change much....not enough to keep him as a stallion. I still think he would make a great performance gelding....I have a friend that has several performance geldings and does really well with them. I think thats your best bet and you will be glad you did it I think. Seems like a lot of fun, we are training one of our geldings now as a youth/ amateur performance horse. But of course it is up to you.

I'm glad you are going to keep him because you like him so much,but would recomend gelding and not waiting to see how he matures . His conformation is not going to change. Geld him and enjoy him.

i'm going to keep showing him and see how he matures and how he does in shows before i geld him. not talking about color, i do like the way he looks.
I think showing him (especially at some registry shows) is a great idea. Personally, I learned a lot through putting my horses in the ring to see how they stacked up against other horses.

I think showing him (especially at some registry shows) is a great idea. Personally, I learned a lot through putting my horses in the ring to see how they stacked up against other horses.

he did really well in his first show (5th out of 11) he needs to lose weight though, he's almost 200 pounds so i'm going to start sweating him

Latest posts

Back