Need Some Mini Info For A Demo

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indy's mom

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
default_saludando.gif

I keep my Mini's at a public farm that sells produce, flowers and the like. This Sunday the farm is having an "Open Farm Day" as part of our towns "Family Festival". I was asked by the owners to put on a little demo with the mini's!

I'm a little intimidated by speaking in front of a big crowd of strangers but really want to do a good job for the farm owners as if it weren't for them I wouldn't have a place to keep my horses!

Can someone tell me where and when the Miniature Horse originated? What breeds were initially used in the making of the Miniature Horse?

What kinds of things would you like the general public to know about them?

I know I will use the time to tell them why they are not allowed to feed my horses when they visit the farm!

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
default_biggrin.png

Thanks in advance!

Tammy

Last edited by a moderator:
When I do demos at work, I always let folks know about their health, teeth, and feet and how they are like a big horse but not. I let them know about colic, having their teeth floated because of the size, how often feet need to be trimmed, founder, in-bedded halters and why they need to be removed and adjust to size as they age, feeding them properly (diffirence between fat & skinny minis), breeding minis and the outcome with dwarfisum/bites/legs, coat colors, showing minis and letting them know about the local fun shows to start out in, AMHA/AMHR & what they stand for, registered minis, pet quality vs show quality, how much they can run for in $$$, driving minis, where to buy the best priced tack, how to buy minis and what to look for in person or by photo, watch out for scammers who will sell you anything, keeping your options open, asking what that person is wanting a mini for and let them know where to start looking for the type of mini they are wanting (show or pet), I always strongly educate them that they are not dogs and should'nt live in the house and that they are still livestock and belong in a barn, housing minis, how much property a mini can live on confertably, checking the zoning in the persons area which where they live, riding minis as a big NO NO with children 50 lbs or more, and I can keep going and going.
default_biggrin.png

Hope some of these may help for ideals.

Last edited by a moderator:
check out info at the AMHA website: http://www.amha.org/index.asp?KeyName=121

and also the Li'l Beginings Main Page. (Link at top of this page)

One common question is "they are cute but what can you do with them?" and I answer "everything you can do with a big horse (except ride them if you weigh more than 50 pounds) and a few things you can't do with a big horse, like take them inside nursing homes!"

Another thing I like to stress in these hard economic times is that minis (depending on size) might eat only about one fourth as much as a big horse.

When we have done this, I typed up some of the information, put it in plastic sheet protectors, and posted it.

I like discussing how they live in a heard and the importance of socializing. How living in a heard offers emotional stimulation and a happier hores. How a heard potects just like it takes a village to raise a child. I like making comparsons, especially w/children. Also, how they live in peace mostly, and have sirvived for thousands of years, w/fright and flight response.

What makes a horse feel safe, etc.

Lildrummer

One thing I feel I am constantly explaining is that THEY ARE NOT DOGS. They think and respond just like any horse would. (One of the many reasons I love 'em.)

But another commonly asked question people throw at me is, "Why minis?" If I like riding so much, why on earth would I want a horse that I can't ride?
default_rolleyes.gif
The answer slightly returns to the first paragraph I posted. Some other reasons are: They are a great way to gain equine experience while not paying as much, not needing as much space, and being a safer size for younglings or inexperienced horsemen and women. They also excel at driving. (Not to mention fun showing activities like jumping, obstacles, costume, halter--it goes on and on!) And last but not least, they are just FUN. They are so eager to please, and willing to try new things, even if it is scary at first! They make great friends, and are so darn cute!
default_wub.png

--C

Tammy --

I bet you'll do a great job and remember YOU are the mini expert to the audience, so you should feel confident and proud
default_smile.png

If it's of any help, you're free to use the article I wrote for information, reading or a handout (however you may like). It's been published in Equine Wellness and in The Journal -- Minis: More Than Just A Little Horse (<--- link).

Good luck and have fun,

Jill

Also tell them when asked about using them as guides that they are prey animals while dogs are predators. Way different basic instincts that are crucial in a bad situation....
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back