Need some help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Miss Molly,

I do not agree with the fly biting theory. I live in New England as you do and it is not possible to have flies up here this time of year as it is far to cold. I have a gelding that has the same thing. I believe they are a type of mite. He has had them before. This is how I treat them. I clip out the ears as you have done, then I put in Sargent's Vetsription ear mite, tick for dog treatment. (you can purchase it at Shaw's, Petco, Walmart it is about $4.50 a bottle. Simply wipe out the ear with a baby wipe and then put a few drops in his ears and rub it around. You can use cotton balls to apply it, my guy doesn't care and I can squirt in right down his ears. It last 2 days. They heal up very fast. You need to kill them critters or they will never heal.

Good Luck, Are you doing any shows in Mass?

I also wonder if your mare has ear mites. I don't know anything about the fly situation in New England, but I think you should rule out the mites.

I usually ask a vet on this sort of thing. My vet always checks to see if there might be a tick down in the ear (where I can't see) and then prescribes the treatment that will work best based on what she finds. I always like to have a firm diagnosis before beginning any treatments.

Good luck!

Hi Miss Molly,

I do not agree with the fly biting theory. I live in New England as you do and it is not possible to have flies up here this time of year as it is far to cold. I have a gelding that has the same thing. I believe they are a type of mite. He has had them before. This is how I treat them. I clip out the ears as you have done, then I put in Sargent's Vetsription ear mite, tick for dog treatment. (you can purchase it at Shaw's, Petco, Walmart it is about $4.50 a bottle. Simply wipe out the ear with a baby wipe and then put a few drops in his ears and rub it around. You can use cotton balls to apply it, my guy doesn't care and I can squirt in right down his ears. It last 2 days. They heal up very fast. You need to kill them critters or they will never heal.

Good Luck, Are you doing any shows in Mass?

i'll have to look for that tomorrow when i go down town!

i may show in Mass next year. depends on the budget.

we do have those little annoying black flies, it was 72 degrees here today so i think the bugs are starting to defrost.

I also wonder if your mare has ear mites. I don't know anything about the fly situation in New England, but I think you should rule out the mites.

I usually ask a vet on this sort of thing. My vet always checks to see if there might be a tick down in the ear (where I can't see) and then prescribes the treatment that will work best based on what she finds. I always like to have a firm diagnosis before beginning any treatments.

Good luck!

last yr my vet said it was flybites and when i sprayed some stuff in the ear it went away for a while.

my other mare has some bites too, but not nearly as bad as Honey.

What ever you decide to go with ( I used to use the skin so soft) make sure its something that wont burn her already raw ear until its healed up. If you are not showing her I strongly recommend not clipping the ears. It will look funny but it will keep the bugs out.

I was just thinking you could get one of the fly veils that the full-size horses wear, they are worn while the horse is being ridden. They cover the ears and have a "v" coming down over the forehead but it doesn't cover the eyes. You see them in the hunter/jumper ring. I believe I heard someone on the forum say that they make them in mini-size now. You could just attach it to your horses halter instead of a bridle.
I use these all the time...and they work great, especially if you spry fly repellent on the ear pieces. I don't leave halters on my horses-ever, so just tie them on with the little strings provided. I had a buddy of mine crochet several "mini-sized" ones, then I just sew the ears on from thin cotton.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back