Need some help please?...URGENT...pics added

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minie812

Reaction score
I sold a older broodmare last August as bred to my stud in June. It was hand breeding and done on June 11-12 & 14 of June. I have been keeping in touch with the new owner and she sent me pics this evening and the mare is waxed and her udders are huge and pointing down. She is eating and does not appear in any distress except for butt rubbing and softening of the muscles some. She would not be due until end of April into May with 300 days around April10th. I checked my calendar and my stud did get out in May 6th with her and another mare (other mare was prego) This mare had a colt at her side born end of March. I did check her and she appeared not to have been bred but could she have been? Would she have accepted my stud all three times in June. We are worried as this mare would be at only around 280 days but if bred in May would be around 308 days. I have permission to post the pics but am having trouble getting them posted.
default_unsure.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We have several mares that will continue to let the stallion breed them even after they are bred so that is definitely a possibility!

308 days is still kinda early so I would watch her like a hawk, especially if shes waxing

Sending good thoughts

Kay

308 days is still kinda early so I would watch her like a hawk, especially if shes waxing
308 days would not be early for some of the mares here - not at all.

default_smile.png

To me it doesn't look like an udder of a mare ready to foal, still to small/wrinkly, especially in the rear shot..

This is more of typical rear shot of mare close (I realize not all mares are the same)

104_4887.jpg

See how she's "full" and "smooth", no wrinkles like the black mare? And the black mare's teats still look pointed in to me..

Are you sure what's on the end of her teats is "wax"? She's an older mare if I remember right correct? And has had several foals correct? I'm wondering if maybe what you are seeing is just leakage crusting over due to her being an older broodmare and having had had several foals.. I know that my older broodmare always has liquid in her udder even when not nursing and tends to get little crusties on the tips of her teats..

And I agree, 308 is not too early, I had a foal a couple years ago at 310 and she was just fine..

**MORNING UPDATE** No new wax formed, more softening. She ate all her breakfast. She seemed happy, no distress or uncomfortablilty. Will update again this evening unless major changes. Thanks for the input!
default_biggrin.png

I have one who looks like that right now .she did this last year also and had baby right on time so no worry she will be fine.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back