Need Jump ideas!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erickson Miniature Horses

Reaction score
I just started jumping a few months ago and am really liking it!! this weekend I'm making PVC pipe jumps!! I'm wonder what other kinds of jumps you can make and how to make them?!? What about water jumps and brick walls!?! Please help!!

I am brand new to it myself, and I am sure you will get great info from others, but I would caution you to be very careful using PVC for jumps. If for some reason they should split or break, they end up in very sharp shards and could be quite dangerous for you and/or your horse. For that reason, I don't normally use PVC for any horse-related activities.

I use PVC pipe for our jumps and if you read the breed association rules most state that the jumps must be made of PVC pipe of certain length and diameter. Yes, if a truck drives over them they can get very sharp points but i have never seen it happen from a horse knocking a jump down!

You can get pieces of lattice and "brick walls" from Home Depot and attach them to the poles with zip ties. Here are some pics of our back yard jumps taken recently. We also stack 4X4s that we get from Home Depot to make a more solid jump or oxer.

2013-09-19-kiera-jumping-cowboy.jpg

2013-09-19-kristen-jumping-mira.jpg

P1110030.JPG

P1110034.JPG

Pvc breaks down in the sun over time and it will splinter. Just went to move a stack of drainage pipe thats been sitting since last spring...picked it up w tractor forks and it all dissentigrated. I build my jumps out of pressure treated lumber. Pvc is great as long as you put them away for the winter or keep them in an indoor. I made jump planks out of an 18" board and screwed a 1x2" plank on top. Paunted the wide board red and plank on top white. Then painted white brick outlines. Looks like a brick wall. You can also buy vinyl brick paneling at lowes to make wood look like real mud bricks. Jumpstack usa sells plastic bags that slide over hay bales that make awesome jumps. Pool floats in a rectangular shape with a lip make awesome water hazards so do those rectangular plastic sleds. Intex sells a small rectangular inflatable pool that made an awesome water jump in a perfect pony size. I cut telephone poles down and "carpeted" one section in fake grass to make a roll top and I painted some 35 gallon sap barrels to make a barrel jump mini sized. Dollar store flowers dress up schooling jumps and prepare ponies for show jumps at competitions. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back