Need help on color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sabbott

Reaction score
We are new to the mini world and had our first foal last night. Her site is a buckskin and her dam is a silver bay. The foal is gray with a very distinct dorsal stripe. I'll try to post a picture, can you help me on what color this filly may be?

image.jpg

default_smile.png
image.jpg

Need better pictures, but I'll guess buckskin(possibly silver buckskin). I cheated and looked up the color possibilities on the equine color calculator(based on the color of sire and dam). She's very cute.

Here is her sure and her grand sire is First Knights Billy Idol and he looks dappled to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is her sire and her grand sire looks dappled(first knights billy idol)

Pictures are not showing up- need pictures of dams back- either sire or dam could have Dun, in which case foal could be Black Dun, but most probably it is a false dorsal, which can be very strong and cause you to wonder. Foal is so cute!!

I'm guessing that the buckskin sire may actually be a dunskin - that foal's dorsal stripe looks very defined. I'll call her dun for the moment pending further evidence/pictures!
default_wink.png

I would guess silver smokey black with a false dorsal, but it would definitely be a guess. Do you have better pictures of the foal outside in natural light? Any pictures of the sire and dam?

Cute baby, congrats!

Yes, the "bleeding" of the dorsal line was what made me think it was a "false"- but without testing the best we can do is make educated guesses.....

Second photo, with the dorsal line going straight down the tail, tan/cream coat, looks Gullo

Second photo, with the dorsal line going straight down the tail, tan/cream coat, looks Gullo
Yep, exactly what I was thinking too. The dun could really be coming from either parent, so pictures of all showing their toplines too, and photos of all 3 in natural lighting are really needed.

Yes, but a Silver Smoky Black could easily look similar as the Silver bit often gives a very prominent false dorsal!

Not saying it could not be Grulla, or even Silver Grulla, just that you can easily get "look alikes" when Silver is involved....

Yes, but a Silver Smoky Black could easily look similar as the Silver bit often gives a very prominent false dorsal!

Not saying it could not be Grulla, or even Silver Grulla, just that you can easily get "look alikes" when Silver is involved....
Yes, I totally agree, and the lighting in the pics do not offer any true help either, because one is too dark inside, and the one with the flash, where the "dorsal" is so prominent, could actually have been made to appear much lighter colored due to the strong flash. That is why good photos in natural lighting will be best.

She looks Grulla but since her parents are different, maybe a buckskin. She's really cute! =)

Here is a picture of baby and mom can' figure out how to add sire but he's definitely a buckskin. thanks for any help!

ladybaby1.jpg

She definitely looks grulla to me. Her coloring is identical to how my grulla pinto mare looked at birth.

I looked up on the foal colour calculator too, I'm thinking silver smokey black.

Back