Need Help for a friend who just got her first miniature

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlenehorse

Reaction score
I am trying to make a list for her on items she should keep at the barn at all time. I just want some feedback from you guys so I don't miss anything.

Even the littlest items. I am sure I am forgetting some. Please list them for me.

Thanks Carlene

Here are the things I can think of
default_smile.png

• Banamine paste and injectible
  • SMZ's
  • Tribressen Paste
  • Triple Antibiotic Eye Ointment
  • Flavored Vitamin C Tablets
  • Nolvasan Scrub
  • Fura Septin (sp) Salve
  • Lyme Dip (for rain rot)
  • Peroxide
  • Gator Ade / Power Ade [SIZE=8pt](not in the kit but always on hand)[/SIZE]
  • Big Dosing Syringe
  • Injection Syringes
  • Vet Wrap
  • Duct Tape
  • Stethescope (sp?)
  • Digital Thermometers
  • the book, Miniature Horses: A Vetrinary Guide For Owners [SIZE=8pt](so I don't have to "remember" normal vitals mostly)[/SIZE]
  • Epsom salts
  • tons of brushes and grooming tools
  • horse shampoo and baby shampoo
  • fly spray
  • horse cookies
  • clippers
  • Stable halters and leads including spares
  • Easy on and off shoes for YOU so can run out and check things more easily
  • If you live in an area that's cold in the winter, heated buckets for then
  • Metal trash cans to store grain
  • Mini feed scoops
  • Tons of buckets and spare buckets and more buckets
  • Rakes
  • Sheets, blankets, slinkies
  • Measuring stick w/ level
  • ivermectin dewormer
  • Contact information / relationship with an equine vet
  • Brushes (toilet brushes) to scrub buckets
  • Mineral blocks
  • Digital camera
    default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
the only other thing i can think of is an emergency telephone contact list. i printed one out in great big font and had it laminated, tacked it to the inside of the door of the feed shed. it has my vet's numbers (both office and home), plus a back-up vet in case he's not available. i included phone numbers for a couple of horsey friends to call if NO vet can be reached. of course, my own cell phone number is included as well as my farrier and if i am going out of town, i include the phone number of the person i am visiting.

I always tell first time horse owners to buy the book "Getting Your First Horse" by Judith Dutson. Very well written book for adults with loads of advise on caring for and enjoying your horse. It covers basic handling, feeding, health care, housing, etc.

[*]Banamine paste and injectible

[*]SMZ's

[*]Tribressen Paste

[*]Triple Antibiotic Eye Ointment

[*]Injection Syringes
If she's a first time horse owner, in addition to being a first time mini owner; I'd hold off on these items until she has more experience under vet's supervision for occasions that require these items. Just to be safe that these items aren't used accidently for the wrong thing.

Thanks for all the help. Yes she is a first time horse owner but she has wonderful neighbors who are horse owners and will be helping her with medications if her minis need them.

Carlene

Latest posts

Back