Need grooming help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

journey

Reaction score
Horses002.jpg

Also the one in my avatar.

kidsandsnow020.jpg

I know this is NOT the best head shots of Harley, but he has a double mane that is out of control..I have tried everything, EVERYTHING I know to try to make it lay down.. It is so thick it is hard to get a halter on and off of him.. We have not done any paths yet cause it has been so iffy with the weather.. My hubby says we can trim it up, but it is sooo tangled up. I will comb it, brush it, and braid it (which never stays braided cause Harley thinks he is a dog) What do yall do to keep the manes so beautiful? Sasha has a beautiful mane that brushes easily daily... I know every horse is different, but I just need a little help with Harley, he looks like a punk rocker with his mohawk!

He's such a cutie!!! I don't know if people in the professional horse world would prefer this method, but VO5 conditioner works great on tangled horses hair. It's simple and cheap.

Only use for a very tangled mane, if have nothing else on hand?

Will also take out burrs in the summer. WD40 Spray. Watch eyes and not too much.

Does help tangles, but you will also have to trim and thin out heavy manes.

When you have time go buy proper sprays for mane and tail for tangle, groom, groom, groom, daily or at least once a week.

You are correct, some minis do not need a lot of work and others just very thick.

Hope this helps, just a suggestion.

Note: only on their mane and tail, not on the skin!!!!!

http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/interacti...p_grooming.html

Thanks Eve, for your experience.

PLEASE never, NEVER use WD 40 on your horses. It is a carcinagen and very poisonous. You should even be cautious with it touching your skin and should wash it off immediately. My physician says he believes it has been the cause of several of his patients having thyroid trouble from getting it on their hands a lot over the years and not being concerned about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
there is a great product out called cowboy magic and trust me it is magic,great for getting out tangles and soften mane and tail as well.And get this it is really great for kids long hair as well,I use it all the time on my kids and horses.

Can't beat Cowboy Magic, it really works. If you have a super thick mane to deal with it may be worth undercutting, with the clippers take out a portion on the underside of the mane. I do this sometimes even with non-show horses, to keep the weight off their necks. To really lay it down, nothing works like a slinky after it's clean, slicked and combed out.

Jan

PLEASE never, NEVER use WD 40 on your horses. It is a carcinagen and very poisonous. You should even be cautious with it touching your skin and should wash it off immediately. My physician says he believes it has been the cause of several of his patients having thyroid trouble from getting it on their hands a lot over the years and not being concerned about it.

Show sheen, Cowboy Magic and other products (human and horse) are safe to use and have been tested as such. Use products for what they were developed. WD 40 is for Rust....haven't seen that on my horse, ever <G> .

Just a warning....please consider it in the way it was given. No flames intended.

I have a gelding that was a stallion for 11 yrs before I bought him gelded. His man was so thick and split onto both sided...I underclipped to thin it then clipped the bridle path farther back then normal and added showsheen then braided it so all hair lays on the side where most of the orginal mane was...Since he will only be shown at local shows trimming his bridle path back farther was no big deal..
3-11-06003.jpg
Befor pic
winter12-9-0500139.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies! I think I will get some of that Cowboy Magic and do the under clipping. I was thinking of going futher back with the Bridal path, but I wasn't sure.. I know around here, since Mule Day is next weekend, I have seen alot of grooming going on and I seen one mule, (big huge mule) they clipped his whole mane off, it looks sharp, but on the other hand, I don't think I would want to do that with my horse..

I value everyones opinion. Thank You.

Latest posts

Back