need advise on worming

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janiecakes

Reaction score
I need advise on worming and brand to use. I read somewhere not to use Quest. I have 3 minis, that were given to me. I do not know their exact age. My vet thinks there around 2yrs. I got them as stallions and had them gelded. The vet estimates their weight at 125, 150 and 200 lbs. I appreciate any info.
default_yes.gif

I would question the weight on them. 125 pounds for a two year old is very little. We may be able to give a better estimate if you could give us their height and body condition. As far as wormer, have they ever been wormed before? Is there reason to suspec heavy worm load. This will determine what wormer and how much you should use.

Weight tapes are not accurate on minis.

Last edited by a moderator:
The best thing to do is a fecal test on all three to see what you need to deworm for to begin with. Then normally, if infested, a five day Panacur might be in order. Then have your vet set you up with a deworming program for your area. He/She should be able to tell you what to rotate with to be the most effective and how often to deworm.

Good luck with you boys, sounds like your in for a lot of fun.

I agree a power dose of Panacur or personally I use SafeGuard would be a good start, but I would for sure get a fecal done.

Thanks for your suggestions. I wasnt sure if this was something i should do myself, but from all your advise I will call my vet and see what he recommends, and ask about a fecal. He did check them over when I first got them last fall, and gave their shots and came back to geld and give 2nd shots. A friend asked if I wanted to order any wormer from Jeffers and it got me thinking about it. I have not wormed them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would question the weight on them. 125 pounds for a two year old is very little. We may be able to give a better estimate if you could give us their height and body condition. As far as wormer, have they ever been wormed before? Is there reason to suspec heavy worm load. This will determine what wormer and how much you should use.

Weight tapes are not accurate on minis.
Carolyn,

I know reg tapes do not work for weight est on minis. I think I saw a formula on here that used the measurement around girth. Is that a good way to est their weight? They are so very wooly with winter hair they look much bigger then what they are. I would say their med weight, not thin, and not too fat. I can still feel ribs, but not promiment. One is very small compaired to the other two. I tried to measure him with a sewing tape,and he was under 30 inchs. I'll try to attach pics of him, from last summer before I got him and a few weeks ago

Thanks,

Jane

slash summer 2012.gif

slash.gif

the 1st pic is from last summer before he was under my care, the 2nd one is from a few weeks ago. he has grown alot, but is still small.

Back