Need Advice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissMolly

Reaction score
The vet came here yesterday for routine shots, it was a new vet from the same clinic that had gelded my 2 boys and had given vaccines with last year. The problem is, I asked her a few questions and was a little surprised by her answers. One of the questions was about deworming. I have read on this forum several different ways to go about this, so I asked her what is the best thing to do in our area. She said quarterly is fine, and then she said to use something for bots this time of year and suggested Quest. :no:

Another thing was about feeding, I have a couple that are WAY to fat, so I wanted to know what she thought about different kinds of hay and or complete pellets. She said minis are very hardy and it didnt matter what kind of hay I fed them, not to give any grain, just loose minerals. I dont give grain, I had started them on Buckeye Grow n win.

What would you do? would you find a new vet? Request another from the same clinic? I absolutely loved the one who gelded my boys.

Any suggestions?

Since you liked the vet who gelded your colts, I suggest that you ask for him to come out when you call. In an emergency, you may not have a choice, but for routine things they will surely let you choose which vet you prefer.
default_yes.gif
:

Uh.......................... I am pretty speechless here, and would be finding another vet. :new_shocked: :eek: :new_shocked:

i also use a vet clinic that has several horse vets. I do request a certain vet when i call in and they have told me that is fine. Had a bad experience with one so they know not to send that particular vet.

I agree, if you like the vet that gelded your 2 boys then I'd ask for that same vet to come out.... As for giving the horses Quest... DON'T!!! And as for the feeding, what we do with out horses that don't need the grain we give a handful of oats just so they think they're getting something too. We also feed a Timothy mixed hay to our minis. It sustains them but doesn't make them fat. Just my opinion!

Thank you everyone for your advise. I most likely will request a different vet next time. I usually second guess myself and it is always helpful to hear another opinion.

Nathan, you may be very right, she may not understand the risk. I did ask if they had many minis in their practice and she said they had some hobby farms with minis and that they were starting to see more.

I printed off the info on Quest I got from an Internet site and sent it to the Vet of a friend (he insisted it was safe- the info is supplied by a Vet.)

Her Vets actually thanked us and stopped using it for ponies and foals once they had read and inwardly digested.

If you are otherwise happy with your Vet I would find the info (I can PM it to you if you want) print it off and give it to them- they may well be very grateful!!!

For the record I do not feed my horses through the summer- the stallions are fed and the foals are fed, everyone else gets grass!!!

In winter, since once more this year it looks as if I shall have grass all winter, I shall give feed to make up what they are lacking in the grass and the fact that they will not eat hay (they will be offered but I know they will not eat it!!)

I still don't understand the risk all that much. All the research and papers from Fort Dodge, including the veterinarians there (I've spoken to them for long periods... they call me Dr. Luszcz for some reason, even though I've told them several times I'm not a vet
default_smile.png
) says that Quest is safe for minis. Its only tales of woe that say differently, so its completely understandable she may not know. Vets look to research and coworkers for information on things they don't have hands-on experience with, and in this case her coworkers and papers say its fine when used properly and acurately.

Maybe Fort Dodge needs to fund some research on fat content of minis, then make a "Mini-Quest" version that IS safe and effective for minis. Quest itself is a great wormer that can kill worms that other wormers can't... if they could make it safer yet still effective that would be wonderful.

rabbitsfizz, if you could pm me that article it would be greatly appreciated. How will they know if it isnt brought to their attention?! Thank you

Well, unless your vet is a know-it-all I would think they'd be open to the current research. This forum is the best place to get info on minis and sometimes this board knows more than some vets. (Because of the international network of research and experience)

We don't have a lot of minis in this area, but our vets have been willing to learn and hear what we have to say.

I would dump the vet *only* if he/she was a big-fat-know-it-all and was being a jerk about it.

Sometimes you don't have the choice which one comes out to see you. If I were you, I'd get the info in front of me (for confidence) and just talk about it with the vet.

Please Read ::::::::

http://www.equinenet.org/ernet/worms.html

Also this is the insert only in the USA not in the insert for Canada?

WARNINGS

Extreme caution should be used when administering the product to foals, young and miniature horses, as overdosage may result in serious adverse reactions. Do not use in sick, debilitated, or underweight animals. Do not use in horses or ponies intended for food.

Canada is missing the part of about young and miniature horses???????????

Last edited by a moderator:
Different countries require different things and have different regulations. Our FDA requires some things, other countries wouldnt look twice at some stuff. They are only going to put 'warnings' in places they HAVE to.

Different countries require different things and have different regulations. Our FDA requires some things, other countries wouldnt look twice at some stuff. They are only going to put 'warnings' in places they HAVE to.
No Quest representatives was surprised was not in and was not put into to USA Warning untill March 2003........

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back