Need a little help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dona

Reaction score
No....not a horse this time. It's our Pyrenees mix "Woody". I noticed a couple weeks ago that he had open wounds on both ears (in back at the fold where they flop over). I can only assume this was caused by flies...they were really bad at that time. I usually rub some fly spray on the dogs muzzles where the flies tend to bite them, but never thought about checking their ears. Our other Pyrenees has never had any problems with flies in this area.

Anyway....I sprayed the wounds on both ears with "Cut-Heal" & wiped down his entire head & ears with fly spray.

Of course, he immediately ran outside & started rubbing his ears in the DIRT!
default_new_shocked.gif
I've repeated this process over & over & have tried putting other things (like Swat) on that may not "irritate" as much. The one ear has almost healed completely....but he is constantly re-opening the wound on the other. I'm half afraid to put ANYTHING on it now...as it immediately makes him want to rub it & rub it, which just makes it worse. But, if I don't do anything, the flies get after it & irritate him...making him rub it anyway. I'm so afraid he is eventually going to get a really bad infection if we can't get this healed.

The open area is a little smaller than a quarter.

I need some ideas, guys. Are there any antibiotic creams that wouldn't irritate the area, making him rub it?

I do have an Elizabethian collar, but I found from experience with our other Pyr, that is NOT a good thing to use on barn dogs where there is no way to confine them. When our other Pyr, Barney was neutered, we put one on him so he wouldn't like the surgical site, and he kept trying to get it off by rubbing it on things & kept getting himself stuck in gates, panels, doors....you name it! We finally had to just remove it for his own safety.
default_no.gif

For our dogs if they get something like that we go to the drugstore and get Polysporin Anit-botic Cream or we have used a diaper cream I always ask the pharmaicst what would work and they always help as I drug store has a list of stuff for dogs.

What about cleaning it with peroxide, drying it and putting on wonder dust so it wil "crust over" and prevent flies from getting at it?

On our dog we used some thick anti-bacterial ointment that we had. I can't find it now, so not sure what it was. But it sure did work! Healed her right up & kept the flies off!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dona, my new favorite product is Vetericyn. It's labeled for horses but they also sell it for dogs - maybe people too.
default_smile.png
It's absolutely non-irritating, safe enough to use in the eyes, non antibiotic, and effective against almost everything. I have horses who flinch away from fly spray but don't bat an eye when I spray this right in their faces (makes me wonder if the fly spray stings). I've used it on foals' umbilical cords and various skin irritations on horses and dogs. I bought a $35 bottle at the feed store and have seen it in catalogs lately too.

Jan

How about also using that top spot stuff (the one with the singing camp golden puppy on the commercial...) I do believe that one repels flies too. I think it is called Advantage. I have not tried this myself, we don't have a biting fly problem here, but I do think that is what they advertise on the commercial is that it repels biting flies.

Also there are e collars out there that look like inflated innertube for the dogs neck. They don't stick out but do keep the dog from scratching.

Good luck!

Poor doggie. We have a product here which is an ointment for wounds in a jar . It's called Pink Ointment. Has Oil of thuja in it and zinc oxide. the thuja repells insects wonderfully, the zinc oxide soothes and protects wounds.

I'll go do a search for something like it. This is left over from Frank's veterinary days and I don't think is still on the market. I'll post if I find something comparable.

Charlotte

ok, I found similar here

oil of thuja ointment

I love the smell of this stuff and it really repels flies!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never use peroxide or iodine on a wound... they are both very harsh and promote scar tissue.

Cut Heal is made for muscular wounds where there is a lot of body mass. Your dog was probably trying to get rid of the smell!!

I would use Swat... cant speak for the other product recommended- the Vetericyn. Have never used that one. You want something that is mild but will also need something that keeps the flies away so it can heal and so they dont come back.

I would never use peroxide or iodine on a wound... they are both very harsh and promote scar tissue.

Cut Heal is made for muscular wounds where there is a lot of body mass. Your dog was probably trying to get rid of the smell!!

I would use Swat... cant speak for the other product recommended- the Vetericyn. Have never used that one. You want something that is mild but will also need something that keeps the flies away so it can heal and so they dont come back.
Thanks everyone, for your suggestions. Lots of good ones here that I hadn't thought of.

I checked with all our local feed stores & TSC...and none of them carry Vetericyn. Will have to order it. The zinc oxide stuff is also a good idea, Charlotte, but none here locally. So, while I'm waiting on ordering some of this stuff, I am going to try some Desitin on his ear. It is basically zinc oxide, doesn't burn or irritate & is really hard to rub off (I know from experience when I used it years ago on my children).

Add me to the Vetericyn fan club! It's very effective and non-irritating. I really like it!

Liz R.

Gold Bond Medicated Powder or something similar like Mexicana Medicated Powder is what we were advised to use on our Pyr.

I've used Listerine -- the gold/original type -- with success on dogs, cats & horses. The very first time it seems to sting a little, not badly enough to not be able to use again for them. Seems to desensitize somewhat short of numbing. Anyway, heals it. If it's a really dry area, I've put a few drops of oil in it, shake well.

Well....after reading Charlotte's post on the medication with zinc oxide. I decided to try some Desitin on Woody's ear. It is working like a charm! It sticks to the wound great, and it doesn't irritate, so he doesn't even know it's on there. Hence....no ear rubbing into the ground! And it keeps the flies away!
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

YES.....I love it when I can find something around the house that works, and I don't have to order something special & wait on it to come. Thank you all for your suggestions
default_worshippy.gif
....I'll be keeping them all in case I need help in the future.
default_yes.gif

Back