neck sweat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy

Reaction score
how soon is it safe to clip out the neck and throat latch area for a sweat to be on 24/7 in dead of winter outside with sometime -30. is this unreasonable to do. l have a problem getting questions answered from the pros up my way. maybe everything is a secret LOL or they have perfect horses lm not sure which. l would like to sweat this neck thinner for a young girl to use at a show early next summer. l looked at the youth horses this year and they were all groomed and trained to perfection so would hate for this girl to stick out like a sore thumb.

I have not used a sweat with my minis, but used them alot with my "big guys", so I will tell you what I used to do.

We didn't clip at all, and only used the sweats when the horses were worked, and took them off after the horses had cooled. It seems to me that to remove the natural coat, and adding a sweat, you will actually make the horses neck colder than if left with the fuzzies. If the horse has a truely thick neck, IMHO, a sweat won't change it...it can only help accentuate a nice one.

If you are talking about the jowel sweat, then again, no, I wouldn't clip, but would leave it on, unless it's a neoprene one...them I don't really like as much as the "good-old-fashioned" felt ones.

Like Sue said, I wouldn't remove any hair from the areas you are going to sweat.

Latest posts

Back