What type of neck sweat?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayla221444

Reaction score
I am new to the conditioning for showing the minis, I know he has a thick neck and was wondering what type of neck sweat would you say would work best on him? Any other type of sweats I should use, like for his throat latch? Here is a picture to help out? I am just trying to get ideas for next spring time.

DSC02299.jpg

http://www.starlakefarm.com/sweats.html

Personally, I think the regular "neck sweat" on this page is my favorite. I also combine it with a throatlatch wrap and my horses wear them all day (minus an hour or so in the evening when I let them air out)

I also have one of the full-body wraps that I like to use when round-penning my horses. It really gets them sweating.

I think his neck looks great as it is, maybe you could sweat lightly, just to tighten it up, but he has a lovely length and I would not call it thick at all!!

I am no expert, but I have tried a variety of sweats on my insulin resistent mare with the heavy crest. What I had the best luck with was a combination of a throatlatch sweat (3") and then on top of that, a 6" neck WRAP. For her, I used yet another neck wrap behind the first, but most horses shouldn't need that much. These would be on overnight and then I used a plain neoprene neck sweat with sweating gel and a plastic bag for workouts only. She and the sweat and the bag were well-rinsed after each workout. And yes, this is a lot of work but it can make a big difference.

Next year I plan to show a mare that needs no neck sweating at all!!!

Latest posts

Back