Neck sweat and layering questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
I'm going to start sweating d's neck soon to get it looking good for show season. I have a few sweats already, a 4" neoprene, two different sized fleece lined Supreme equine design sweats, and I'll soon have a neoprene neck and shoulder sweat for him. He's an aged gelding, and a little thick through the throat latch, neck, and shoulder. Should I have him wearing both, a neoprene throat latch sweat and neoprene neck/shoulder sweat while I work him, layering them with the throat latch sweat underneath, or will the neck/shoulder sweat alone work? Should I be using the fleece lined sweat while he is working, or should I work him in neoprene, then put the fleece lined sweats on him when he's stalled.

Am I correct in thinking that the neoprene sweats get more dramatic results, and just cant be left on for long periods of time, and the lined sweats don't do as much, but are safe 24/7?

Also, for the neck and shoulder sweat I'm going to have to do a more drastic head and neck clipping on him so I'm not sweating over thick hair (don't want to do that, worried about fungus). I bought a slinky hood for him to wear so he can keep warm (and hes also stalled in a barn, not exposed to outside elements, and can be turned out in an indoor arena in bad weather. We have a blanket too, but I don't plan on body clipping just yet)

Is there any reason I cant put the slinky hood over the fleece lined neck sweat while hes in his stall?

As far as sweating, I don't know how much this little guy is going to sweat. I longed him at a working trot for about 20 minutes the other day and he wasn't even out of breath, or sweating. I figured I'd lunge him for about 10 minutes, and slowly work up to 20 minutes, but he just kept going, and I figured he had some extra energy he wanted to get out of him.

Is it possible I may need to use a sweating lotion? I've never used anything like that. Even on the big horses the most I ever did was layer a black garbage bag under their neck sweat.

I would suggest the neoprene only while working, then leave on for an additional 20 minutes while he cools. Rinse horse off, allow to dry then apply the std neck sweat. If you use a lotion, it MUST be washed off after working the horse.

You are correct, neoprene only can not be left on 24/7, only while being worked.

One of mine wears a spandex hoodie (on the body, not over the neck sweats) , throat latch and neck sweat with polar fleece and neoprene, and I layer one summer and one winter weight blanket. These are the nighttime pjs. This horse is also in the barn with the heater turned on to 45-50.

The other one wears a spandex hoodie, a polar fleece/neoprene throat latch sweat, a polar fleece and neoprene neck and shoulder sweat, and two blankets. This horse is also in the heated barn 45-50 degrees at night.

I will adjust the number of blankets as the weather warms up.

During the day, both horses are 'aired out' for several hours, they go out to play, they are worked. After a workout, they are rinsed off to remove the sweat. During workouts, I might use the polar neck and throat sweats over the spandex hoodie, one wears a neoprene and fleece neck/shoulder/belly sweat over the spandex hoodie.

Only use the neoprene without polar fleece during the workouts, like Simple Life said.

I have not used the sweating lotion- but I have heard that it is very important to rinse it off after each use.

Good luck and have fun!

I layer both neoprene and fleece sweats when I work them, plus a garbage bag underneath it all. I'll go looking for a neck clip for you... A friend of mine has an excellent picture.

Also, I would recommended using a "lotion" for sweating. Which one? Listerine (yes the mouth wash)!
default_biggrin.png
It works great and it's cheep!

Latest posts

Back