Navicular

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thellwellmini

Reaction score
I have the vet coming out Monday to check my mare. i just done a week of Banamine and then stoped for 1 day, she was so sor today that I gave her more Banamine and called the vet right away. I think that a week of Banamine should nave made it better! This mare was in foal I dont know if she still is, she has lost weight threw this even though she still has a hearty appitite. The vets told me to just keep her comfy with Banamine over the weekend and stop on sunday so they can see her lameness. I have not seen her abort I think I would have seen a placenta. But I am just concerned with saving my mare. you know that they are like kids to us. Thanks for all the replys to my last post.

Lorie

Hi Lorie,

I'm curious, how far along is your mare in her pregnancy? Has she been diagnosed as navicular? We had a mare that actually foundered when she was in her 4th month of pregnancy. To make a long story short, we kept her as comfortable as possible under the close supervision of our vet. She was very uncomfortable throughout the rest of her pregnancy but within a month of foaling she was perfectly sound again. We never were able to find the cause of the founder so we have retired her from breeding as we would NEVER want to put her through that again.

I would love to know what your vet says after examing her. This same thing has happened at another farm where they had two mares do the same thing at 4 months pregnant. Then after foaling both were sound within two months. They thought it was hormone related but never had actual evidence to prove what it was.

Maybe Dr. Pam here could give us some insight.

Sharon

DeBault Farms said:
Hi Lorie,
I'm curious, how far along is your mare in her pregnancy? Has she been diagnosed as navicular? We had a mare that actually foundered when she was in her 4th month of pregnancy. To make a long story short, we kept her as comfortable as possible under the close supervision of our vet. She was very uncomfortable throughout the rest of her pregnancy but within a month of foaling she was perfectly sound again. We never were able to find the cause of the founder so we have retired her from breeding as we would NEVER want to put her through that again.

I would love to know what your vet says after examing her. This same thing has happened at another farm where they had two mares do the same thing at 4 months pregnant. Then after foaling both were sound within two months. They thought it was hormone related but never had actual evidence to prove what it was.

Maybe Dr. Pam here could give us some insight.

Sharon

498471[/snapback]

Banamine is just an anti-inflammatory, like when you take Tylenol for a high fever ... once it wears off, your symptoms come back. The Banamine isn't curing anything, just alleviating her pain, and hopefully allowing her to heal.

Has she had x-rays done?

She may not have lost her foal ... it's really quite amazing what a mare can maintain her pregnancy through.

Keep us posted!

Navicular is so rare in miniatures--it is probably founder as mentioned. Yes, I have seen mares founder while pregnant--just like they want to founder with metabolic disease, hypothroidism, and hepatic lipidosis. Please have you vet do xrays and fasting bloodwork that includes insulin and thyroid levels.

Dr. Pam, Thanks, I will be sure this is done. She is in her 4th month. She has lost weight even though she is still eating well. My only concern is that my vets dont have many mini customers, Although they will not hesitate to call New Bolton Hospital if they dont know. THANKS AGAIN! Lorie

Dr. Pam said:
Navicular is so rare in miniatures--it is probably founder as mentioned.  Yes, I have seen mares founder while pregnant--just like they want to founder with metabolic disease, hypothroidism, and hepatic lipidosis.  Please have you vet do xrays and fasting bloodwork that includes  insulin and thyroid levels.
498791[/snapback]

Latest posts

Back