Nationals pics, year in review..stuff

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchantress

Reaction score
First I'm going to start by saying WOW. What an experience! Not just Nationals. Owning miniatures in general. I've had horses for about 25 years now and have been showing about 15 of those. I have never met such a friendly, helpful, generous group of horse lovers. Or any people for that matter. While I bought my first mini Sept 2004 and showed in Maine last year and did well, this was my first year of doing "real" mini shows. Wow. It has definitely been an experience. My friend and I got the brilliant idea to qualify and attend the 2006 AMHR Nationals. I know it doesn't sound like much, but we drove 10 hours to NY twice to qualify and then made the 30+ hour journy to Tulsa. Left Friday morning around 9 and were in Tulsa Saturday at 7 pm. Yeah, anyone who knows us knows when we have somewhere to go..we GET there LOL. I think we actually stopped to sleep in my truck for about 3 hours. Of course, in order to make the trip I figured my little SUV wasn't the vehicle for the job. So 2 days before leaving I went car shopping. The salesman was awesome, got me the truck I wanted for a price I could afford. So I have a brand spanking new 2007 Chevy Silverado. YAY at least I knew we shouldn't break down! I brought 4 horses with me, my A stallion, A mare, B mare and colt and my friend had her 2 stallions and colt. I also picked up 2 new horses there...both yearling roans one colt and one filly. Yes, you CAN fit that many horses into a 2 horse trailer and not be too smooshed :bgrin I only showed my colt in the futurity. He didn't place but he was so awesome. His first time with a chain halter (so he'd stop dragging me all over the place!) and he went into the ring..and he STOOD and he showed better than he ever had and was in that ring for 1 1/2 hrs. I couldn't be more proud of him! Before I took the others into their classes I sought the advice of our friendly neighbours on my coat choice. She said it was too big and promptly outfitted me. Now, normally people don't even give an opinion about that stuff around here. She was so awesome (even took me and Hillary out to see some real country bars/dancin lmao) So she let me use her clothes to show the girls. No ribbons which wasn't really any surprise since they weren't conditioned and have short necks (sorry girls), but they stood and showed for about probably 40 min each. Now these are horses who normally show MAYBE 10 min for an extra long class. THEY WERE SOOOOOOO GOOD! Now, I KNOW it's a useless class, but I hauled my stallion to Tulsa to do solid colour stallions under. WE GOT A TENTH! :aktion033: Yeah, like I said..useless, but at least it means someone else thinks he's handsome too. I will say watching the driving classes TERRIFIED me. No one else has commented on it so maybe I just haven't been around enough, but when asked to turn hardly anyone noticeably LOOKED where they were going. Now, I know it's important how your horse looks, but SHEESH it won't matter if you end up in a tanlged heap with some other horse. That really turned me off wanting to drive at Nationals that's for sure! I had to close my eyes on the roadster classes. Nothing like horses flying all over the place in every direction and some people not even appearing to look where they're going. Maybe some were peeking, but some didn't even turn their heads the direction they were thinking of going and there were plenty of near misses. I got to meet a few new people there, but mostly just enjoyed seeing so many quality minis and not having to work :lol: All the horses came through safe and sound, trailered great and were happy to be back home!

When I came home I did the Maine Mini Club's final show. My 2 yr old won the stallions 2 & over then I sold him at the show. My colt was 2nd in the colts and reserve futurity champion (yay I FINALLY made money!!!!) My B mare was 2nd in her class. Someone at the show saw them and ended up coming up to my house and buying both a couple weeks later. My new filly won the yearling filly class and decided liberty was meant for ME to run around and show how pretty I could be while she tried to get nibbles of grass from outside the pasture, new colt was the only one in his class and my stallion made it over all his jumps. Kinda. Definitely not gracefully lol Then he decided the trot was fun and didn't want to walk in the driving class. OK let me rephrase that..he THOUGHT he was doing roadster and wanted to trot...faster and faster and faster. Oh well. We didn't die. And the mare who I'd only hooked once since last years show (she was off to be a mom) went in and was 2nd? in roadster.

After everything I went through this year I DIDN'T DIE!!! I'm more motivated than ever to get out and work my horses so I can be competitive with them. Now, if only my body will cooperate and it's not looking good.

It's been a journey, that's for sure. I've finally sold all my Morgans, even my 18 yr old mare I wanted to keep forever (*sniff sniff*). It wasn't fair to her and she's in an awesome home nearby. In regards to the market, well this year I've sold a yearling colt for 1k, 2 yr old colt for 1k, 2 yr old colt for I think 700, weanling colt for 1500$, and mare for 3500$ and I got 5k, 2500$ and 1800$ for my Morgans. I've sold 2 far away, 2 yr old shetland for 1k and 10 yr mini stud for 900$. I think the horse market is definitely still there, it's just a matter of finding the right place to advertise. My bread and butter has been going to local shows/demonstrations/etc and just getting people to see how great these guys are and what they really CAN do. And all sales go with the understanding that I'm ALWAYS here for questions/concerns or just to chat! (ask Kim LOL)

I've learned SO much in the past couple years, a lot of it thanks to this forum so THANK YOU (love the search feature!) everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE for all your posts and points of view and just letting us know you're out there too and enjoying your special little guys! Now for pics!

New filly: WDS Splendors Blue Echo, daughter of Schuberts Bullets Painted Splendor

wdsbluecho.jpg

New colt: Mortgage Lane Renegade

gator.jpg

B mare at Nationals. Yeah she and I BOTH needed a diet/exercise plan!

scan0003.jpg

Stallion. He was a pony pop tart in the heat, poor guy

scan0002.jpg

And our ribbon!

scan0004.jpg

You know, I STILL don't think it's hit me that I went to Nationals yet. It almost didn't seem it since everyone was so nice and truly having such a great time and not appearing to be completely stressed out lol

Jen, I think you should be very proud of your first Nationals! You guys deserve a medal just for the long drive. Your horses looked good and I know you learned a lot, so next year will only be better!

I do like all your new additions.

Jen you did us Mainers proud Great job and your new purchases are wonderful Congratulations!!!!!!

So glad you had a good time. We have been lucky enough to have gone the past 11 or 12 years and I never get tired of going!! Love the atmosphere, people, horses and having a good time!!

Pam

I'm officially congratulating you, too! :aktion033:

It's nice to see Sage Man all sexy in his Sunday best!
default_wub.png
:

And whattdya mean "ask Kim"??? lol I don't know what you're talking about!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Hey Jen-

I agree, you did us Mainers proud!!! We were on edge waiting to see how you and Hillary and Lnda and her daughters did during the Nationals. We so wanted to go with you guys this past summer, but it didnt work out that way for us, but there is next year for sure! All the miniature horse people I have met have been awesome. I have also shown and owned saddlebreds and morgans for over 25 years and the miniature horse owners have them beat!

Your right on the market here in Maine. The demonstations and fair displays and local shows, if you are selling miniatures, thoses are the places to have your minis. People want to see the mini "in action", ask questions and understand what they are suppose to be looking for in the type of mini they want. It also gives them a chance to compare miniatures and pricings.

Congrats on your 2006 journey! It was truly sucessful

Julie

Latest posts

Back