National news, Scotts Co., Smoke and you ARE fired

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This from a company that produces chemical fertilizers that are polluting our groundwater
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
: kinda like the pot calling the kettle black if you ask me. They ought to re-read the MSDS on most of their own products first.................
Well Rori I have to disagree as the only ones contaminating the ground water are the users who use the products improperly. Fertilizers applied judiciously and according to the manufacturer's instructions do not. I wont' even go into the ground water contamination done by organics like the nitrates in manure from cattle-related industries.

And for the record I don't hate smokers but I do hate the habit. Try to keep that distinction in mind for the rest of what I'm about to say. People are more than just their habits but what astounds me most is that from those who are saying they don't want some outside influence to tell them what to do sounds more like the addiction talking than anything else.

I was a hard core smoker, one of the absolute worst, so yes I CAN talk and to me there is a whole lot wrong with a cigarette being the poster child for any rights issue.
default_wacko.png
: Perhaps only those who have kicked it and can look at it from a perspective of how the addiction used to affect every aspect of their lives will be able to understand that statement.

I can't believe what one cowardly person PM'd me about this thread the other day all I can say is that you are truly a pathetic piece of work. This board is about opinions and if you don't like it then leave. If you EVER send me another PM, other than to apologize, I'll be sure to report you to the moderators.
OK trig...first I hope you aren't insinuating that I was the PM'ing person.......I take full credit for anything I say even if it leads to athletes mouth at times
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:

As for Scotts...and fertilizer in general....I do know my "stuff" when it comes to these products and since they are sold to the general population I can say I see more improper use than proper...most users do not even know what a MSDS is let alone that they ought to read it BEFORE using the product.....organics as well can be just as damaging if the person does not also follow proper procedures of dealing with runoff and nitrates.......

so back to smoking and the inability to quit.......or the lack of desire to quit...........I find ex smokers to often be the harshest in their treatment of smokers....not directed at you or anyone else just something I have noticed......I would like to quit to date I haven't found a way to do it....which to even me seems dumb....for gods sake I walked away from cocaine and crack cold turkey many many years ago and never looked back........got pregnant quit drinking...no problemo....but the stupid cigarettes whole other story.....my doctor encouraged me to quit BUT she also said just cutting back to as minimum as possible was better than nothing........the more I stress about quitting the more my smoking will increase....if I tell myself I don't have to quit but need to cut back I can get down to 5-6 cigs a day or less......I smoke the stupid ultra super lights.....following my docs advice I smoke 1/2 a cig........and right now I am smoking under a pack a day and that is only 1/2 of that amount smoked...............so even as a smoker I am a loser cuz I cannot even chainsmoke properly
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
: ........

For those of you who want to quit and you if you havent tried this already I strongly recommend trying wellbutrin.

This from a company that produces chemical fertilizers that are polluting our groundwater
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
: kinda like the pot calling the kettle black if you ask me. They ought to re-read the MSDS on most of their own products first.................

OK trig...first I hope you aren't insinuating that I was the PM'ing person.......I take full credit for anything I say even if it leads to athletes mouth at times
default_wink.png
:
default_wink.png
:
Good grief Rori of course I'm not insinuating it was you! You have always been forthright and upfront with everyone and from all my time here I've never heard once a bad thing about you ever.

No one has to kowtow to the majority thought here and those who disagree well so what. But if someone is too much of a coward to say what they think in the light of day on the forum for all to see then to heck with them.

People's hot buttons get pushed all the time, say your peace, forgive and forget move on but don't pull crap with PMs!

Rori please don't ever quit trying to quit. I've quit hundreds of time and failed all but once to quit, until next time
default_rolleyes.gif
: and I'll only know if this time is for good when I'm at my end. I just get so upset when smoking is defended because it's so deadly and even in my worst throws of addiction, I could never convince myself I was doing the right thing by continuing to smoke.

Ashely's dead on when she says Wellbutrin is great stuff to help you quit.
default_yes.gif
:
default_wink.png
: Had to add, my docs say if you must have nictotine then it's ALWAYS better to become addicted to the patch and it's cheaper too
default_wink.png
: At least you don't get all the carcinogens but you still get what you're craving while you're losing the physical part of the habit.

Last edited:
I cannot take wellbutrin and my hubby turned up allergic to it.
default_wacko.png
: ...... tried gum...made me puke....afraid of the patch if the gum made me hurl..........next is hypnosis...might work and I have a friend who is pretty good......

I tried cold turkey lasted 2 days......and that was the last attempt as I started smoking way more after that quit attempt than I was before.....so back to cutting back for now......

One difference between smokers & obese people....obese people do not stink. They in no way cause suffering to their coworkers--they do not trigger allergy attacks in people who are allergic to food!

More and more companies are making it a rule that there is to be no perfume worn in the workplace. As someone who is allergic to strong perfumes/colognes, I'm all for this rule. While it's law here that smoking is not allowed in any provincial government building (in fact in our city smoking is no longer allowed in any public building--bars, restaurants, stores) the perfume ban isn't official. My boss is extremely allergic to perfume, so he's made an official request that our staff not wear strong scents.

I have 2 coworkers that still smoke--they take smoke breaks outside & they smoke at home. They come to work & yes, they smell of smoke. Another coworker who retired several months ago was a heavy smoker at home. He'd also smoke in his car, and he would come into the office absolutely reeking of smoke. His desk was 3 feet away from mine, and the stink on him would make me gag sometimes. So, in an office where smoking is forbidden by law and perfumes are restricted by polite request, pray tell why I and the other non-smokers should have to put up with that sort of stench because this guy wanted to smoke at home, in his car & wherever?

If you want to eat your face off at home & be 100 lbs overweight, that's your problem. If you want to wear perfume in the evening, you can wash it off before you come to work. If you can smoke in your home & come to work & not have any evidence on you that you smoke, then in my mind you don't have a problem. If, however, you come in to work smelling of smoke then yes, I'd have to say your smoking at home is an issue in the workplace. Since I haven't come across too many smokers that can smoke at home & not have some odor of smoke on them...I don't have a problem with the Scott policy.

Ok Triggy you want an apology? Here it is, I apologize for not paying closer attention to the private message system and sending the message to THE WRONG PERSON. Obviously it was not meant for you but for someone else, you knew that the moment you read it. The message was a personal observation and opinion not an attack.
default_wink.png
:

BTW, as soon as I realized what I had done and got finished laughing at myself for such a stupid blunder a moderator was informed, so they've known for days.
default_wink.png
:

I also don't think that people should attack others in personal messages and would never do that, but don't want people to be wondering and assuming who it is, and thinking that someone deliberately attacked another in a cowardly fashion.

krisp

OK, Kris...now you have me "wondering and assuming" who it was supposed to go to!

(Just kidding!)

OK, Kris...now you have me "wondering and assuming" who it was supposed to go to!

(Just kidding!)

BAD SUSANNE! BAD SUSANNE!!!
default_poke.gif
:
default_poke.gif
: :deadhorse2: You quit beating that dead horse! LOL

Ya know I'm kidding
default_smile.png

krisp

Good grief Rori of course I'm not insinuating it was you! You have always been forthright and upfront with everyone and from all my time here I've never heard once a bad thing about you ever.
Oh trig you have never ONCE heard a bad thing.. well can we talk
default_wink.png
:

LOL I am kidding Rori of course.. dont come over here all angry and puffing on your cig :bgrin

Ok well you can come over if you want I am quite bored actually

Ah well thanks Kris I guess that is the closest thing to an apology I'll get but sorry I don't buy the mistake part as it's a common tactic (not one I'd personally use) or so I've heard.
default_rolleyes.gif
: and I do know who it was being sent to and our forum names are not similar enough to "mistakenly" type the wrong one in.
default_wink.png
:

In addition I only stated my opinion on the thread and the OP made it PERSONAL, not me. I only replied to the snotty remark directed at me and nothing more. No time did I address anyone specific but in generalities, which is what everyone does. It's only an opinion and I haven't always cared for or agreed with all of yours either but I do let people work their own stuff out and not insert myself into the situation. I'd appreciate the same so let's forget it and move on.

This was a very interesting thread for it's diversity rather than it's sameness. Nothing worse than and entire thread of people just agreeing with each other.
default_wacko.png
:

Lisa you mean Rori is NOT a perfect angel who only swears like a sailor? :bgrin

ETA Too bad voice inflection and other communication signals were not so hard in text. It would save a lot of hard feelings.

Last edited:
umm, triggy, look above your name... there is a PM button, but its not to PM you... look under your post, there's your PM button... perhaps she simply hit the PM button above a persons name, and you happened to be the last person to reply before her? There are more than one way to PM a person, you don't have to type in the name.

Well, Triggy. It was a mistake and reported to me immediately. Kris did not put a copy in her sent file so she could not delete it and I could not change it.

And the mistake is common. Some people hit the PM button on the wrong post. I have done it myself and so have others.

Billie you are exactly right. Happens all the time.

umm, triggy, look above your name... there is a PM button, but its not to PM you... look under your post, there's your PM button... perhaps she simply hit the PM button above a persons name, and you happened to be the last person to reply before her? There are more than one way to PM a person, you don't have to type in the name.

Thanks Billie, this is what happened, glad that SOME can understand
default_smile.png
Hey, I came out in the open and admitted to it rather than letting everyone hang in suspense, can we get over it? It was a MISTAKE, some of us just aren't perfect :bgrin As I said it was a PERSONAL opinion and observation meant to be a PERSONAL message to someone else.

krisp

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I guess everybody should just live in there house and not ever come out for something they should do, something that is there freedom to do might bother somebody else.

So those people that are alcholics, why should we have to smell alcohol on them?

I think there are way to many people on her who put themselves above others for many different reasons. Fact is, were in the same boat. IM sure you all have just as many bad things as the next person. Some of you are the reason many have already left this board.

These are also some of the very reasons I refuse in my lifetime to bring a child into this world.

And for the record (statistically) it's a rare smoker who doesn't cost a company an inordinant amount in both time lost thorough illness and unproductivity. If people want to cripple industry to preserve some percieved right then don't whine when jobs go elsewhere. It's all about the bottom line.
I would love to see these stats in black and white for verification purposes.

I think it is rather sad when a company tells you what you can do and what you can't do now at home!!!! Absolutely insane as far as I am concerned and I wouldn't be surprised if someone or some group decided to take this to court and see what happens. Unless governments outlaw cigarettes then they are very very arrogant and two-faced, but you know they would never do that because they would lose all the revenue they collect on the taxes on cigarettes.

As far as I am concerned this goes way beyond the "smoking" at work, it goes to the core of "freedoms and rights" that each one of you have or think you have. Don't we always say we live in a "free' society" Ya think??? I don't think so one bit. I fully understand the non-smoking policy at work but for either a company to push the boundaries and trying to "control" their employees in such a manner, I wouldn't want to work for a company like that no matter what. I can only imagine the way they treat their employees in the workplace on a daily basis. Good grief. Not much respect there - a one way street.

I have been a smoker and I have been a non-smoker and I believe that most smokers now-a-days are for the most part extremely conscience of not imposing on non-smokers. What I find totally deplorable is the fashion that some non-smokers vehemently and with exageration go the total oppossite of the spectrum. Smokers have more than met non-smokers wishes but trying to control a person's private and off the job time is taking things too far. I guess this company better also, in all fairness than, not allow drinking at all at home of alcoholic beverages, no beer, no wine, etc. Heck, why don't they go and say well you have to be a certain weight to work here because you could have a heartattack or you could have to take time off more than other employees due to health reasons linked to your weight. That would be as fair as what this is company is trying to do with "private" time.

My personal point of view is a smoker should be allowed to smoke when not in the workplace, where allowed, and in his/her own personal environment. If the non-smoker doesn't want to visit the person in their home then so be it. Nobody is putting a gun to your head saying you have to. Smokers are asking for the same rights non-smokers are asking for "freedom" but it seems that some non-smokers are now wanting to take "rights" in the privacy of their own homes - absolutely insane. Also I have found that ex-smokers are usually the ones that are the most extreme in their expression on the subject.

I won't get into the argument about the "smell" of a person who smokes. Guess those people aren't bathing at all if they smell that bad. Heck I don't know how many times I have got on a bus or a crowded elevator and had to endure someone who had obviously consumed a large quantity of garlic and oooouuuueeeeee, it almost made me gag and no the smell is not on their clothes but coming out of the pores of their skin!!!! I know smelling that won't give me cancer and neither smelling smoke on someone's clothing.
default_wacko.png
:

And for the record (statistically) it's a rare smoker who doesn't cost a company an inordinant amount in both time lost thorough illness and unproductivity. If people want to cripple industry to preserve some percieved right then don't whine when jobs go elsewhere. It's all about the bottom line.
I would love to see these stats in black and white for verification purposes.
http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/sgr/sgr_2004/chapters.htm

Unlike the majority here I CAN back up what I say. Click on chapter 6 pdf file and on page 626 you'll be able to read about absenteeism. There is plenty of documentation and studies on many legitimate sites such as the American Lung Association, American Cancer Society. Anything to the contrary is most likely put out by with support of tobacco companies. The CDC and Surgeon General's reports are as valid as it gets.

I'm quite done with this thread and LB in general. Those who insist on harming or even killing themselves by smoking, please go for it. I'm sure no one will bother to stop you.

Yes well be sure to pass that on to everyone else as well.

Other people smoking doesn't bother me at all -- so long as they don't make me breathe their smoke.

I also refuse to ride with someone who drives recklessly, although they may consider it great fun and their god-given right.

Kill yourself, but don't kill me.

Thanks Shirley for the link. I will go and check it out and also try to find stats for Canada. I also though want to find other statistic about absentism in the workplace just to be fair and see what other things contribute, I am sure there are many others. Yes perhaps not as high but I have a funny feeling there are many others as well. I would imagine that colds, flu, etc is high up there and I doubt that any sensible person could say it's because of smoking that you get a cold or flu.

Latest posts

Back