National news, Scotts Co., Smoke and you ARE fired

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just heard on the news last night that ALL work places in the STATE if Iowa be Non Smoking places to work~!!! And that if persons fail to heed to this non smoking areas will be subject to a $25 fine Per Violation under the ""Iowa's Clean Indoor Air Law""

Well I don't see anything wrong with that. What the complaint is for a company to be able to dictate what you do on your time off and at home. We keep saying that we are a "free" society which is not true at all. We go to war saying we want to give other countries "freedom" a "free-society" like we have. That is pretty two-faced when you think about it. As I said earlier, ban cigarettes, end of story. Making them illegal and do the same with alcohol. Governments won't do it though because of the billions of tax $$ they collect. If they banned cigarettes EVERYONES taxes would go up by quite a bit to make up the difference, at least in Canada it would. Same goes for liquor here in Canada - government run LCBOs. They are so hypocritical!

:no:

Well I don't see anything wrong with that
Well that is true and I feel the same way,,BUT What id now these places of employment go into this NEXT Step and say You stop smoking ALL Together Or go look for another job~! And that one does the same and so on..

I agree with you 100%. I understand a company not wanting smoking in the workplace. I am a smoker and I wouldn't want smoking at my work BUT when I am outside and on breaks who am I harming? Myself, nobody else. Some may say but yes you are polluting the air. Oh please!!! The emissions from cars, trucks, factories, etc are much much more of a danger in the air outside. Now at home nobody should be able to dictate to me about smoking. We are 3 smokers in this house and none of us smoke inside the house. We ALL smoke outside only and anyone visiting us who smokes has to abide by those rules. We have our grandaughter living with us and no way would I subject her to our second hand smoke. If we have her in the car we do not smoke in the car either. Common sense is what is needed by smokers and non-smokers. Mutual respect goes a long way.

Well I don't see anything wrong with that
Well that is true and I feel the same way,,BUT What id now these places of employment go into this NEXT Step and say You stop smoking ALL Together Or go look for another job~! And that one does the same and so on..

And again, that is stepping into your PERSONAL life and time, giving them a foot in the door for more control of your life. As others have said whats next, you have to quit drinking coffee? No more tea? No more horses because their to dangerous? No more parachuting? No more hang gliding? Sorry, no playing football you might get hurt? No more twinkies? Making you join a gym and work out because your 20 pounds overweight?

I have no problem at all with ANY company banning smoking IN THE WORKPLACE, but I don't want them in my home!

It's the foot in the door I don't like.

Krisp

I also just wanted to say that I respect Shirley's right to feel the way she does. She feels strongly about it and that is her right but I found it over the top when you said you wouldn't visit someone in their home if they smoked, even if they smoked outside. That is too bad because us smokers aren't a bad lot just because we smoke, just teasing you Shirley.

I know when I did quit smoking I could tell who smoked who had just had a cigarette and was coming back inside lets say at work right after. Now the smell didn't linger on them UNLESS they were heavy smokers and it got into their clothes or their coats but the initial smell is there and very detectable and depending on a person's smoking habits it stayed with them or it didn't. I usually smoke 4 or 5 cigarettes during the course of a day but it's the evening that I smoke more but that is at home and outside. I do not wear my "barn" clothes to work, lol, cigarette smell and manure smell" would not be appropriate for the workplace :bgrin , well unless you work at home or constantly in a stable as a living :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
wouldn't visit someone in their home if they smoked, even if they smoked outside.

That is too bad because us smokers aren't a bad lot just because we smoke
Yes, it really is too bad.

Worked with a guy years ago, who said he would never become friends with a smoker...his loss. Some of my best frinds are smokers, I even married one.
default_rolleyes.gif
: I don't pick and choose my friends...my heart does.

I have a form of asthma, and I have good friends who smoke. Whenever I visit them, I end up coughing for weeks, unable to complete a sentence without coughing. I don't give up my friends because of smoke, but I pay.

Many smokers are great people -- good people who don't realize what it does to others around them.

Yes and just a visit with people who smoke in their house your clothes smell just like the smoke from the cigs...I know my Mom always complained after I would visit my Grand Parents many years ago.. for a few days or weeks and then come home AND YES the clothes everything I had would just reek of cigarette smoke~!

Can I get some clarification on your post. Do your friends smoke in their home and that is when your asthma starts up? or do they smoke outside of their house and your asthma still starts up when you visit them?????? My son Robert use to use a pump when younger, he is now 25 but his asthma was triggered mainly when he did heavy exercice (hockey) and it was damp and where mould was present. He never had an asthma attack because we were smokers but then again we smoke outside. He hasn't had an attack since he was 10 now, knock on wood.

Suzanne, if you were my friend and you were visiting and I smoked in my home, I wouldn't be offended one bit if you asked me not to smoke around you because of your medical complications of being around smoking. I think you should ask them. As I said most smokers are very conscious of these things these days and I am sure your friendship means more to them than having a cigarette when you are around.

All this talk about how bad smoke is at other peoples houses and some people don't even want to visit them, I can relate to that for sure, as in the other post.. Now most cars don't even have a thing called ash tray,,,And No Lighter either~!,

So I guess that is why I chew Skoal...I can chew in places that say No Smoking, I can go into Anybodies barn at any time without having first to put out a butt....I don't pollute anybodies air, or home or car etc.

And even in the movie theater I can enjoy a pinch between the lip and gum...And nobody is the wiser :bgrin

Skoal... doesn't chew rot your mouth out and cause cancer, too?

Skoal... doesn't chew rot your mouth out and cause cancer, too?
Ya in some cases yes it does..It is not a safe alternative to smoking at all...But i also don't pollute the air or in some cases even start fires.. I don't cause anybody to be offended by smoke getting in their eyes clothes and skin etc.

So you know I wasn't trying to be rude, just curious.
default_smile.png
I thought chew had some negatives to it and didn't want any kids out there to think it was an "okay" alternative to smoking if it wasn't.
default_yes.gif
:

So, what do you do with your spit? Swallow it or allow everyone around you to hear that disgusting sound? Spitting is a pet peeve of mine. Used to have to clena it up from the idiot yahoos that thought store shelves were their own spitting ground. Stupid cowhorns.

I find chewing way more disgusting then smokeing. I got sick of people spitting the the garbage at work, so plain out refused to empty them anymore. THey spit on the floor and anywhere they feel like. NOt to mention cant stand looking at somebodys lip sticking out a good inch from there teeth.

I do beleive Shminis swallows, hence his statment of not haveing worms.

Hey wait lets hold your horses here...Many people don't always spit when they chew stuff like Skoal, or they just do it for the heck of it~! I do if I chew Chewing tobacco (There is a difference) But then I am outside hunting or walking in the woods something like that..But when I just use Skoal, or Copenhagen, these are snuff not chewing tobacco.. Of course I have also used the TRUE Snuff and Snort it up the nose~!

But 99..999% of the time I use Skoal and then it is more like sucking on a piece of candy, Mouth Candy,,, so I have used Skoal, now for some 30 years and I do not spit~! Enough said... No worms :aktion033: Now the products that you snort up the nose, Now that will give you a rush... I even have a Sterling Silver Snuffbox I use that type of True Snuff, where you sniff it...but have not in years now..

Most of these Yahoos dip Skoal too. They think its 'cool' to have the worn Skoal hole in their jeans pocket. Bet they'd look downright purdy with a Skoal hole in their lip/cheek/esophagus.

I keep mine in my shirt pocket now as to not wear a hole in the hip pocket :bgrin And I do switch from side to side inside the mouth as to not irritate one side too much to get sores...

On a side note:: I have tried to quit several times one for over 2 months..But chewing maybe even harder then smoking to quit because we are getting nicotine Directly into the system, does not have to be filtered through the lungs etc.

And if there is a Person that should know the dangers and how bad tobacco is it is ME~! I worked at a mink farm years ago, During pelting season we would give the mink an inoculation to kill them the Product was called Black Leaf 40~! Was is that you ask? Straight Nicotine~! that is what we injected into the mink to kill them at pelting time~!

Latest posts

Back