National news, Scotts Co., Smoke and you ARE fired

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
Do not know where the post is, this is a test before I write it again.

It was on the National News that Scotts (Miracle Grow) will fire any employee who smokes.

Not at work, but who smokes period. They will have to submit to nicotine tests and if they fail, they are fired. If they refuse the test, they are fired. :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

I agree that non smokers have rights, but what right does any company, or the government have to tell me I can not smoke out on my own 5 acres???? Or in my own house????????

I do smoke, but I am not a rude smoker. I even asks guest in my own house if they mind. We smoke in on small area of our home, or outside.

Some of these people have worked for Scotts for years. Scotts will provide them with any tool, or aid free of charge to help them quit. Other companies are already doing the same. Ok, can not smoke in THEIR building, that is their right. Where are ours???????

Their reasoning, smokers use more health care dollars. I will agree with that as well. But, I PAY more for my health care. So, who is next? Over weight people? They too use more health care dollars. Drinkers, they as well use more health care dollars and the list could go on and on.

One company as well does not allow workers in who SMELL like smoke. So, if your spouse smokes, or the person you car pool with smokes, tell them they have to quite!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck with that.

Where does it end? Do you drink on Saturdays? Be careful, you may be next!

Shades of "big brother" and "1984"! :new_shocked: This is way above and beyond..hopefully someone there will contest this. One's constitutional rights are being threatened here!

Other companies are ALREADY DOING THIS!

This is legal to do in 21 states!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is just plain Wrong! On SO Many Levels!
default_thumbdown.gif
:

Nancy
default_smile.png

Here is a quote from a Newspaper in Columbus.

"Your smokes or your job"

In less than a year, Scotts Miracle-Gro plans to start firing employees who light up — even at home

Friday, December 09, 2005

Monique Curet and Ken Stammen

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

"Beginning in October, smoking will be significantly more expensive for employees of Scotts Miracle-Gro Co.

Lighting up, even at home, will cost them their jobs.

Many other companies also are focusing on smokers, whether by raising their healthinsurance premiums or not hiring them.

Scotts took dramatic action because it wants to hold down health-insurance costs by "helping people live healthy lifestyles," said James Hagedorn, chairman and chief executive.

With operations across the country, Scotts can fire smokers legally in 21 states, including Ohio, company officials said.

Scotts appears to be one of only a few companies that will fire employees if they light up.

The Society for Human Resource Management found in a 2004 survey that 4.4 percent of those polled preferred to not hire smokers. Less than 1 percent of the 270 professionals surveyed said their companies have a formal policy against hiring smokers.

Weyco Inc., a Michigan company, began firing smokers earlier this year and received widespread attention.

Scotts has given employees a year — and free counseling, nicotine patches and cessation classes — to quit smoking. The company has not determined how it will verify compliance with the new policy, said Jim King, a spokesman. "

Sorry but not much, if any, sympathy for smokers here. The threat of being fired might be the impetus for some to quit the disgusting habit. No one has to smoke and no matter how polite a smoker is the smell on them can still make others wretch like too much perfume and many are allergic to smoke and the odor of it. Commercial buildings in WA have just mandated via the health department that no one can smoke within 30' of the entrance of the building and if they allow it will be heavily fined. As far as I know you will not be hired at Microsoft, they test, and can be fired if you lie to them and smoke at home.

I find it totally disqusting to be on the way to work and some jerkwad is smoking his head off in the car ahead of me and the stench is coming in through my vents so I'm forced to smell it at a stop.

Smoking is one of the most stupid, selfish, disgusting, vile things any human being can do and more power to anything that makes it harder to do!

Sorry but not much, if any, sympathy for smokers here. The threat of being fired might be the impetus for some to quit the disgusting habit. No one has to smoke and no matter how polite a smoker is the smell on them can still make others wretch like too much perfume and many are allergic to smoke and the odor of it. Commercial buildings in WA have just mandated via the health department that no one can smoke within 30' of the entrance of the building and if they allow it will be heavily fined. As far as I know you will not be hired at Microsoft, they test, and can be fired if you lie to them and smoke at home.

I find it totally disqusting to be on the way to work and some jerkwad is smoking his head off in the car ahead of me and the stench is coming in through my vents so I'm forced to smell it at a stop.

Smoking is one of the most stupid, selfish, disgusting, vile things any human being can do and more power to anything that makes it harder to do!

And being behind a bus or big truck putting off fumes, makes my stomach sick, but they still are allowed to drive that truck legally and it is about 100 parts per million stronger.

If you do not like my habit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,DO NOT COME TO MY HOUSE WHERE I LIVE PERSONALLY!!!!!!

As if whatever your habit is that I soooooooooo hate; tobacco chew, spitting, swearing, what ever it may be, I would make a choice NOT to come to your house.

Your opinion. For me, it is chewing and then spitting it on my shoes. My other is, people who have sex with different partners week end and week out.

But no matter how much YOU hate my habit, it does not give YOU the right to tell me I can NOT smoke at MY house.

Actually if I were a company & paying any health benefits, insurance or medical for an employee I would want to have the right to not hire or let go anyone who smokes.................. Would like the same for an alcoholic also.................... But then you get into, well this person is obese, that could & will cost the employer, this person has allergies, that could & will cost the employer, this person is on & on & on............................. I think it boils down to decent health care of everyone without it being the burden of a business or employer - it's not the employers fault - but who should help these average Joe Moe's pay for their health problems - the government - many are already complaining that the government is where it should not be & others complain that the government is not doing enough. What is the solution?.

Most companies that I know, ours included. The smokers pay much more for health care, so I do believe I am covering a big part of mine.

My point with all of this, if each person here made a list of what bothers them, and somehow we put a stop to ALL of it, then we all might as well stay home because something WE do, bothers someone else.

I agree with you Frankie. What I do in the privacy of my home (as long as it's legal) is my business. I don't believe any company should be able to dictate to me or threaten me with the loss of my income for something I am doing legally. I do understand the company's point of view re health care, but as someone else stated, where does it stop? Drinking alcohol is also a voluntary activity that can lead to many health problems. Obsesity can be caused by health problems (thyroid or whatever), but is most often caused by over eating which is also legal.

Yeah, what's next? Next thing you know, smoking's going to get people killed...

Seriously, it does shock me that a company could fire someone for doing something that is totally legal for someone to do, and do it on their own vs. company time. However, like I'm implying, getting fired is not the worse thing that smoking can do to a person.

Many more have done this because of the rising cost of health insurance. Can you blame them?? No Way... It is there right to protect their interests productivity, and time lost by workers who smoke, It has been Proved that people who smoke get sick and take time off at a higher rate then a non smoker. So it is the companies rights to protect themselves from productivity lost and their interests, which in this case is there workers Health.. And if you smoke Good Bye...No sympathy from me..You want a job? Quit smoking simple as that. And no I am not a smoker, but I do use tobacco (Skoal) And if the company I worked for had a program like this Quit or get fired, Guess what? I would quit chewing tobacco, simple as that.

I am not asking anyone to agree with MY habit. Even smokers will tell you it is a nasty habit.

Yes, we do know what CAN happen to us.

This is not a perfect world. Millions of people have millions of non healthy habits that cost our health care system.

This is not about A HABIT, whether smoking, drinking or over eating.

It is about living in America and the last I checked, a country that prides its self on freedom and rights for all.

Last night I had not 1, but 2 twinkies!!!!!! Am I in trouble????? :new_shocked:

I have heard this before with a different company. Our company is trying to go tobacco free...........personally I dont care. If they do, its gonna be a lot worse of a work place as some of them need to smoke to keep them decent enough to work with.

I dont care if a person smokes its there right. Granted the smell I cant stand, but when your a ex smoker the smell gets to you more. I dont think its anybodys right to say wether or not somebody can smoke.

And speaking from somebody who started smokeing when she was 12 and just finally quit about 3 or so months ago its not as easy as all you non smokers think it is.

Oh and for our company they do random drug and alchol tests. If you do get tested positive with that then you are in trouble. They cant fire you because its a "disease". But they do send you to classes, and do random drug/alcohol tests for one year. If anytime in that year you fail, then your fired.

I think companys spend more health care money on people with depression then those who smoke. The ones I work with that are the most frequent sick ones are NOT smokers.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do not like my habit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,DO NOT COME TO MY HOUSE WHERE I LIVE PERSONALLY!!!!!!As if whatever your habit is that I soooooooooo hate; tobacco chew, spitting, swearing, what ever it may be, I would make a choice NOT to come to your house.

Your opinion. For me, it is chewing and then spitting it on my shoes. My other is, people who have sex with different partners week end and week out.

But no matter how much YOU hate my habit, it does not give YOU the right to tell me I can NOT smoke at MY house.
No problem I wouldn't want to visit anyone with that much disrespect for their guests so don't worry Carolyn. You habit is obviously more important to you than anything else. Hmmm, isn't that a red flag
default_whistling.gif
:

And no I'm not the one telling you, you can't smoke at your house but if it's your employer's policy and you want your job then they DO have the right if you want to work there. Most workers are a dime a dozen and no matter how in indispensible you consider yourself there will always be someone to replace you who does meet their criteria.

Many more have done this because of the rising cost of health insurance. Can you blame them?? No Way... It is there right to protect their interests productivity, and time lost by workers who smoke, It has been Proved that people who smoke get sick and take time off at a higher rate then a non smoker. So it is the companies rights to protect themselves from productivity lost and their interests, which in this case is there workers Health.. And if you smoke Good Bye...No sympathy from me..You want a job?
There are a number of things that contribute to the rising health costs.

So by doing this, ALL of those people who are contributing will have to quit doing whatever, or give up a job?

Is anyone over weight???????????? You HAVE to lose 60 pounds or you are fired!!!!!!! Have you seen the number of people out there FIGHTING for the rights of those over weight? That would never ever happen.

But, you can not just single out ONE. So all would HAVE to follow.

By the way, I have smoked for a long time.

I have had only 3 jobs in the past 30 years, been at all my jobs a whole lot of years. In the past 30 years, I have missed 2 days of work due to illness, total.

A friend here has missed 3 days this month alone, due to the on set of diabetes from weight.

I'll go check to see if it is legal to fire her.
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

for all of you who dont care just keep in mind next will be something you do and dont want your right taken away!! It always starts with something most people argee is bad but then it continues on. I have unfortunately worked with a lot of alcoholics. IMO these people ARE MUCH MORE dangerous then any smoker. And what is the death rate and health bill of an alcoholic?? Then it will be overweight people. And on and on and on.

My husbands former company started doing this right when we left. Not only was he required to stop smoking within one year SO WAS I!!! What right do they have to tell me?? They also started a fitness program. You had to go to THEIR doctor and if he determined you were not physically fit you had to agree to go to a fitness center. If you OR YOUR SPOUSE refused you could be terminated.

People who think this is good better really think about it. Todays its smokers tomarrow who knows?? Maybe they will figure people who own horses are too distracted and should be let go?? Sounds far fetched?? Not really

Kay

I do smoke, but I am not a rude smoker. I even asks guest in my own house if they mind. We smoke in on small area of our home, or outside.
The above is in my original post,,,,,,,,,,,,obviously you missed it.

No problem I wouldn't want to visit anyone with that much disrespect for their guests so don't worry Carolyn. You habit is obviously more important to you than anything else. Hmmm, isn't that a red flag
It amazes me how some people can make comments about other people, THEY DO NOT KNOW, AND KNOW NOTHING ABOUT.

My habit is not important to me, I have quit a number of times, including each time I was pregnant,

what IS important to me, IS MY RIGHTS.

also keep in mind parents that work. How many days do they miss and how much does insurance go up paying for babies
default_smile.png
The list is endless. No one will complain now but you just wait. Soon it will refusing to hire people will young children etc etc. Then you all will be up in arms but it will be too late because the door will be open

Latest posts

Back