National news, Scotts Co., Smoke and you ARE fired

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your opinion. For me, it is chewing and then spitting it on my shoes. My other is, people who have sex with different partners week end and week out.

But no matter how much YOU hate my habit, it does not give YOU the right to tell me I can NOT smoke at MY house.

Ok not sure where I stand on this issue at all yet but you cant compare smoking in public anywhere be it at work or not with having sex with mulitple partners... very few of them (although more then we think)
default_rolleyes.gif
: are having sex as I walk by to enter a building or at the doorway of a resteraunt..

again though not saying I agree with you smoke you cant work here

unless at a hosptial or something only cause the smoke does stay on you and carry on to patients which could be life threatning.. but even then

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/64/72524.htm

The above link is about cost of health care and how Obesity now rivals smokers as far as health care. There are many other articles to back it up.

Just adding information maybe more factual.

Average of the 10 sites I looked at:

Obesity: 92 Billion

Smoking: 72 Billion

Again, an average of those I looked up.

NOt about someone who can't quit whatever. Just factual.

I find it totally disqusting to be on the way to work and some jerkwad is smoking his head off in the car ahead of me and the stench is coming in through my vents so I'm forced to smell it at a stop.
You are either too close to the car in front of you...what you are actually smelling, is the exhaust...
default_yes.gif
:

food addict because they cannot just stop consuming the object that causes their addiction while it IS possible for someone to never take another drink or smoke cigarette again.
And just wherein lies the difference? I think an addiction, is an addiction...no matter what it is. I have done a lot of positive things in my life, including quitting smoking...and trust me...ciggarettes were by far the most difficult thing to get out of my life.

I don't like broccoli burps and bean-farts either...but don't tell people what they may go home and have for supper... :new_shocked: :lol:

Really...what this post [/i] about, is an employer's supposed right to tell YOU what you are allowed to do in your own home. I firmly disagree.

Each company has certain policies that are a part of who they are. It is up to the management and owners to determine what that companies policies are to be. And, as companies grow and develope, policies change here and there. Years ago, flight attendants were required to be single, a certain height, non smokers, non drinkers, and they HAD to be pretty, with a cettain sized breast!!! This was a company policy. Disneyland required you be clean shaven, hair above collar, no smoking no drinking, not too much makeup and many many other items that were a part of their policy. It is part of the image that is required for working there. Restaurants, airlines, the armed forces, all have a policy that requires you to wear a uniform. Some people feel this is an infringment on their personal freedoms as well. But, the fact is the same in all of these cases, it is company policy and we are not taking away your freedoms by having these policies in place because, you have the freedom to choose not to work here. But, if you do work here, these are the rules you will be required to work by. Pretty simple!

I do have to say I find it very amusing that these same people that are complaining about this are the ones that just Friday were telling me "if you don't like it, change the channel" (in regards to The Book of Daniel TV show) well, same applies, if you don't like it, don't work there. Not a real toughie decision there folks.

I find it totally disqusting to be on the way to work and some jerkwad is smoking his head off in the car ahead of me and the stench is coming in through my vents so I'm forced to smell it at a stop.
You are either too close to the car in front of you...what you are actually smelling, is the exhaust...
default_yes.gif
:

food addict because they cannot just stop consuming the object that causes their addiction while it IS possible for someone to never take another drink or smoke cigarette again.
And just wherein lies the difference? I think an addiction, is an addiction...no matter what it is. I have done a lot of positive things in my life, including quitting smoking...and trust me...ciggarettes were by far the most difficult thing to get out of my life.

I don't like broccoli burps and bean-farts either...but don't tell people what they may go home and have for supper... :new_shocked: :lol:

Really...what this post [/i] about, is an employer's supposed right to tell YOU what you are allowed to do in your own home. I firmly disagree.

Exhaust? Oh please anyone knows the difference and how can one be "too close" if they are in the lane next to you? Then to top it off many throw the lit butt out the window as well. After having ridden motorcycles for many years as a the operator and a passenger I can't tell you how much this pizzes me off. Polite smokers? ahem yah.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

And as for the difference if you care to reread what I said is that while the mechanism of addictions is pretty much the same across the board you can never have another cigarette, never have another drink of booze and live quite well. Try not eating for the rest of your life
default_wacko.png
:

Sorry but it boggles the mind that anyone would defend such a destructive and useless habit regardless of the implications to our "rights." THink of it how you will but like Jenn, I applaud Scott and other companies who already have and will follow suit.

I do have to say I find it very amusing that these same people that are complaining about this are the ones that just Friday were telling me "if you don't like it, change the channel" (in regards to The Book of Daniel TV show) well, same applies, if you don't like it, don't work there. Not a real toughie decision there folks.
:aktion033: Yep, aint that the truth. It always applies to everyone else but never them.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Minimama i think disneyland and for that matter universal studios (who i worked for as a teen) has some of those things still in place. It was very much part of the perception and image

even down to nailpolish that was allowed and color bra you wore

But the difference with Disney or the military or whatever, is that they have rules for when you're on the job. They aren't reaching into your home and saying, for example, you can't listen to hard rock, you can ONLY listen to A Small World. After all, smokers are not allowed to smoke in most work places already. Smokers need to work and have adapted to these policies. It's when an employer reaches into your personal life, into your home, that I consider that an intrusion and a violation.

Quoting LVponies here

But the difference with Disney or the military or whatever, is that they have rules for when you're on the job. They aren't reaching into your home and saying, for example, you can't listen to hard rock, you can ONLY listen to A Small World. After all, smokers are not allowed to smoke in most work places already. Smokers need to work and have adapted to these policies. It's when an employer reaches into your personal life, into your home, that I consider that an intrusion and a violation.

This was the BASIS for this whole thread to begin with, just how far are they going to intrude into our lives? Can they tell you what you can eat? drink? How much you have to exercise a day? Then are they going to tell you WHERE you can eat, where you can shop? Let them get a foot into your home and who knows whats next.

Yes I've worked for companies with dress codes/hair codes/nail polish codes/jewelry/piercing, etc, etc, etc but thats for AT WORK, not in my own home.

So, do you want them in YOUR home?
default_wink.png
:

Krisp

This was the BASIS for this whole thread to begin with, just how far are they going to intrude into our lives? Can they tell you what you can eat? drink? How much you have to exercise a day? Then are they going to tell you WHERE you can eat, where you can shop? Let them get a foot into your home and who knows whats next.
Yes I've worked for companies with dress codes/hair codes/nail polish codes/jewelry/piercing, etc, etc, etc but thats for AT WORK, not in my own home.

:aktion033: :aktion033:

:worshippy:

I agree, The way I see it is, during the work day, (with prior agreed upon hours and days), my Employer is paying me for my time, to work for them, to do as they want me to do to the best of my ability. I have agreed to give them my time as they will in exchange for payment. And then yes, I do what they want, or leave their employ. But the minute they stop paying me for my time, after the work day is through, that time is mine to do with what I choose as long as it is legal. Be it smoking, eating, playing with horses, sky-diving, swimming or watching funny movies with no significant social value. I would not care to have someone else dictating what I do with *my* time.

Nancy

default_wink.png
:

Krisp

They're still not taking away your rights. They are not saying you cannot smoke in your home, they are not saying you have to quit. You still have the right to smoke all you want to. But, if you want to work for them, then as part of their policy, you must be a non-smoker by the end of that one year term. No ones rights are being infringed upon here. And yes, if the want to make a policy that tells me what I can and cannot do in my own home, I will adhere to it or I will find other employment. Simple!

Last edited by a moderator:
They're still not taking away your rights. They are not saying you cannot smoke in your home, they are not saying you have to quit. You still have the right to smoke all you want to. But, if you want to work for them, then as part of their policy, you must be a non-smoker by the end of that one year term. No ones rights are being infringed upon here. And yes, if the want to make a policy that tells me what I can and cannot do in my own home, I will adhere to it or I will find other employment. Simple!

Ok, and then once that happens they have their foot in the door to tell you other things that you have to change, you have to lose 30 pounds, you have to quit riding motorcycles, you have to stop riding horses (sorry, to dangerous a hobby) then will you still adhere to it? Again it not WHAT they're demanding you quit, it's how it effects your PERSONAL life, which SHOULD be each individuals choice as long as it's not illegal.

BTW, just a funny side note, as a smoker I maybe missed 4-5 days of work in all the years I worked, and those were NOT for respiratory (sp?) reasons but due to injury. Now my old room mate used to miss at LEAST a day a month for cramps
default_wink.png
: , so, is that ANOTHER thing they'll fire you for?

krisp

Again I have read with interest all of these posts. I worked in a non smoking, no alcohol, dress code environment etc. for many years. BUT they did not say that if I smoked or had a drink or wore jeans at home that I could be fired. I think the point trying to be made here is that what if there are no places where a smoker can work where this isnt the rule what if it goes nationwide not a few select companies? What if the next step is to get obese people out of the workplace? Right now you are absolutely right either quit smoking or find another place to work but what happens when there are no more places where you can work if you are a smoker. What happens when all smokers are now unemployed and they start on the next unique group that is costing money?

They're still not taking away your rights. They are not saying you cannot smoke in your home, they are not saying you have to quit.

YES THEY ARE SAYING THAT!! I think a lot of people are not reading this entire thread. My husband ex employer (and no this is not why he left) gave MY HUSBAND AND I one year to quit. If EITHER of us refused he could be terminated. Quitting was to be verified by random urine tests that we had to submit to ANYTIME we were asked.

They are saying YOU HAVE TO QUIT AND YOU CANNOT SMOKE AT HOME.

And again my husbands employer also stated that if a dr determined that we were not PHYSICALLY FIT we had to agree to join a fitness program or again he could be terminated.

Yes and your rights still were not taken away..You Had the Option Quit Smoking Or Quit Working for that ferm... You had a choice one or the other but not both..Working for a company is a Privilege not a Right.. So people that are given a choice either quit smoking or leave just had a Privilege taken away and not a right taken away~!. Apples to Oranges...

I, personally, would LOVE to see the statistics on time taken off due to various reasons including but not limited to to the following:

1. Smoking related time off - whether a person is a smoker or not

2. Maternity leave - at LEAST 4 - 6 WEEKS for the most part

3. Child care - summer vacation, school holidays, snow days, kids are sick which seems like every other week during the winter.

4. Family (other family member(s) besides children - mother, father, brother, sister, grandparents

5. Car trouble or can't get to work due to transportation reason - transit strikes, car won't start, etc.

6. Illness like flu, medical problem(s) NOT related to smoking

7. "Playing hookie"

8. Disability claims

9. "personal" days

Now don't all of these factors have to do with everyone's "personal" lives outside of the work place? Especially, children!?!?!?!?! Look at how much health insurance dollars and "work" time is spent on raising families and caring for family members not necessarily below the age of 18.

Statitstics, I would like statitistics on this one. Who knows, maybe I'll learn something. But, my overall feeling about this is that NO ONE should be able to tell me what I can and CANNOT do in my own home which I pay TAXES for and maintain as long as everything that I do is legal. The books, "1984" and "Brave New World" keep coming to mind. SCARY THOUGHT!!!!!

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures/Renditions

Nope, it is of "Mutual Benefit"

Meaning it mutually benefits both parties. It is neither a Privilege nor a Right. You "Negotiate" your salary, your work hours, your benefits, your time off, what is expected of you, everything to do with your employment. And your Employer "Negotiates" the terms that will best will benefit the Company. Of Mutual Benefit means that both parties benefit by your ability to perform requested functions for them during the agreed upon working hours, and their ability to pay you for that performance during the agreed upon working hours. You need to work to make money, they need you to do the work to make them money.

I think what people are not grasping here, is that this thread is NOT about smoking, either for or against, vile or pleasurable, healthy or unhealthy, but it is about someone other than yourself deciding, and telling you what you can and cannot do in the privacy of your own home on your own time. Smoking just happens to the be the choice *offense* in this particular situation. Others have suggested other *offenses* that might follow the smoking cessation decision. If you were to re-read this thread inserting ie;"Sugar Cookie", everytime you saw cigarette or smoking, you might better understand the long term ramifications of this situation, it is not about smoking, per se.

Just my .02 on it, I understand and respect that everyone will have their own opinion on this, and I totally respect that. I know that I could not work for a Company that thought they could/should micro manage their employees to that degree.

I can tell you, that I will never buy another Scott product again.

Nancy

Yes and your rights still were not taken away..You Had the Option Quit Smoking Or Quit Working for that ferm... You had a choice one or the other but not both..Working for a company is a Privilege not a Right.. So people that are given a choice either quit smoking or leave just had a Privilege taken away and not a right taken away~!. Apples to Oranges...

Funny, my husband who is a non smoker saw the story on the news tonight and went on a tangent (and this is a VERY quiet man
default_yes.gif
: ) He went on all through chores about how his home life is his private life and they have NO rights to tell him what to do. Hubby is a VERY private person and does not share anything about his home life at work and shows the same respect for the employees, what they do on their time is their business, as long as they show up for work ready to go and knowing that they could be hit with a random drug test at any time thats all he wants. He's in a management position where he oversees a lot of the hiring, the background checks, insurance paperwork, etc. His comments also on the amount it would cost in time off, marital problems, costs in testing, etc were interesting to hear.

Also, the majority of employees at Scotts are going to be blue collar employees, and the really ironic thing is that the vast majority of these employees work daily with highly hazardous chemicals.

Hmm, and what else, no rock climbing, no sky diving?

krisp

Latest posts

Back