National Drive

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I have gone for the last 4 yrs and had a blast. I have met many people from different lists and made new friends. I also learned alot from the clinicians. Every morning starts out with donuts and coffee and a drivers meeting describing the days events. After an initial safety check you are free to drive at will, take in the clinicians demos/talks, take a lesson or shop at the vendor aisle. Kentucky Horse Park is beautiful and usually there is a hazard or two.

They usually stall you by region, but you can ask to stall near friends, or one year we had an area we called it Mini Village.

I plan to be there again this year. Hope to meet some of you!

Went last year for the first time - perfect weather and a great time along with great people. Lots of minis and lots to do. Plan on going again this year as we didn't get a chance to do everything we wanted to do last year.. You can do as much or as little as you want. We loved the side trip to Three Chimney's Farm. While the donuts and coffee are nice, we were somewhat partial to the wine, cheese and entertainment everynight. Even had to help two ladies open their bottles of "refreshments" - we're from Wisconsin, not a problem! The campground is terrific.

This sounds like so much fun! I went to the Kentucky Horse park website to get more info but there are no prices for the activites. Is this more for the competitors or are back yard drivers able to go?

Info and prices are under the National Drive website. There is a fee for the weekend and for the whole week. I would do the whole week. We had to leave early on Sunday morning to get back to work and so missed the Sunday activities. The stall fees go to the Horse Park, but they do allow 2 minis per stall, so you can share a stall with a friend. We actually had more people than horses and took turns driving on different days. If you stay at the Horse Park campground I would strongly suggest bicycles or a golf cart for transportation as the stabling is a fair distance from the campground (you have to go right past the Rolex stadium!).. The fees also include visiting the Horse Park Museums. Last year we saw vehicles from the basic homemade bicycle tired cart up to imported CDE carts and everything inbetween. This event is definitely geared to the back yard driver who has lots of opportunities to learn how to improve their driving skils from the numerous clinics offered - which are all included in the price. Individual private lessons are available, but be prepared to pay that instructor's hourly rate - these are all nationally ranked instructors.. We took our synthetic harnesses, as by that time of the year I am DONE polishing brass. The vendor area is also terrific - all kinds of stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to go! There are 4 people from our driving club taking a bunch of ponies (big horses) there. It sounds like a great time and a plethera of things to do.

I was having trouble finding the clinics that will be run. Can anyone give me a direct link of info on them?

Well I almost have myself talked into going! Even mentioned to my boss that I might be taking a week off in Oct. I'm off for the summer (Child and Youth worker in a group home) and only go back in Sept.

OMG I would love to go but the distance is a little far I think. It's a 12 hours drive.
Hey, I flew from Washington State to Kentucky to do it in 2007 and 2009!
default_thumbup.gif
It was a blast and a half and I had some great forum friends who lent me horses and equipment for the week so I also learned a lot just by driving a variety of horses. I'd do it again in a heartbeat! I was so disappointed I couldn't make it last year and it doesn't look like I'll make it this year either, sadly.
default_crybaby.gif
Maybe in 2013. Someday I want to make it back there with my own horses!

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I drove to the park for the 2009 Rolex. That was great. No horses though and we just stayed in the over flow camping area. It's just a long way for me to go alone.

Well I bit the bullet and reserved my camping site and I'm getting the paperwork ready to book the stall! Is any one else going? I'm requesting on the forms to be included with the miniatures if they break the barns down that way. I'm only bringing one minis so I hope that she will be able to go the 4 days that I'm going to be there. I will be going alone so I hope to meet up with fellow mini drivers down there.

I started going in 2006 and last year was the first time I've had to miss it as I was out of town for a wedding. I am hoping to make it again this year. It is always a great time and very educational. I don't know if I will take my minis or my Welsh filly though.... Love all the fun I can have with the minis but it would be a good outing for the Welsh.... Hmm, will have to think about that! Glad you will be making the trip Happy, you will not be disappointed!

I started going in 2006 and last year was the first time I've had to miss it as I was out of town for a wedding. I am hoping to make it again this year. It is always a great time and very educational. I don't know if I will take my minis or my Welsh filly though.... Love all the fun I can have with the minis but it would be a good outing for the Welsh.... Hmm, will have to think about that! Glad you will be making the trip Happy, you will not be disappointed!
Take two, they're small.....
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl

You could alternate driving times with the two.

I'd never heard of it before now. Terribly reasonable! I want to go. If not this year, next year. I'd have to go sans horses as I'm not hauling that far but what a hoot that must be!

I'd never heard of it before now. Terribly reasonable! I want to go. If not this year, next year. I'd have to go sans horses as I'm not hauling that far but what a hoot that must be!
I have a 12 hour drive with the horses in front of me. Not sure if I'm taking 1 or 2 at this point but they will have a big 3 horse slant to hang out in on the drive.

Latest posts

Back