Nail test on mares!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy appy

Reaction score
I just posted on the nail /ring test on the main forum. maybe that thread could be moved over to the foaling section??

Last edited by a moderator:
Just went and read the topic. Never thought about trying it to see if the mare is bred. A couple of years ago if you search back, we all did this test and then posted our results and whether we got the right answer. It was a lot of fun. Maybe we could do it again this year?

I can't wait! The 2 mares that I bought in foal are due the first part of April and the Donkeys who knows, The one donkey is quite large already but the past owner swears that they only had the jack in on July 19th.

I intend to test my girls this year (4 expected, possibly a 5th) but as they are all living out, will have to wait until this wet windy weather decides to give us a break! Great fun though!

Sounds like fun! I can't wait to see what everyone's results are so we can check the predictions!

Did the ring test today. It confirmed my non pregnant mares were not pregnant and for Madeline the ring test said she's having a colt. So I'll start buying blue foal jammies. After a string of all fillies last year, I'm excited about a boy.

I'd love to get a filly (more specifically a buckskin filly, but I didn't breed any mares that would allow that possibility for this year). Out of 8 foals (3 full-size, 5 mini), I've only had 3 fillies. [2 full size fillies, 1 full size colt, 1 mini filly, 1 angel colt, 3 healthy colts.]

Ok my list on 7 mares:

Sugar - No movement - didn't bred Smooth tail

Lilly - rescue donkey - had access to jack - circles Filly

Mabes - big circles - didn't bred

Smile - rescue mare - no movement Smooth tail

Diamond - Bred by previous owner - circles Filly Fuzzy tail

Ellie - bred by previous owner - no movement Fuzzy tail

I didn't bred anyone this year but there was a stallion on the property until June in separate turnouts and shouldn't of had access to any mares.

Ok, we'll throw our girls into the mix as well. What we came up with is Millie, Cookie, Loli, Sunny, and Sugar with girls. Sophie(my daughter's APHA mare), Quesa, Alice, Jenny, Phannie, and Mary having boys. That leaves Peaches(another APHA), Julie, Tootsie, Mandy, and Pumpkin as being Open.

Tried on my mare too, nail wont move. just shivering little. Mare is pregnant for sure, can feel and see foal moving easily. (and she is huge) :D

Should I pin this thread so it stays "close up" and accessible for everyone to update?

Great idea Diane - it's such fun to do and it would certainly be easier to update a pinned thread than to go back searching through all the foaling threads that will start arriving from now on!
default_thumbup.gif

Ok, I've got Dream, Ladybug, and Buffy with girls. Nellie and Fly for colts. Sure hoping this is true, Would like to keep a Taylor girl this year as I gelded him last year.

So I thought I'd add the results so far, Dream, Ladybug and Fly have all had colts. Still waiting on Buffy and Nellie. So one right out of 3, not a great success rate.

Ok did my nail test as it was warm tonight before the cold comes back tomorrow

my results were:

Xena- didn't do and she was sold and left this past Thursday in foal to Bow (Same cross as Spice) for Florida to her new owner

All bred to Buzz (our palomino Buckeroo son)

Pooh (chestnut pinto) due 4/2/14 -- Filly

Spice (Perlino) due 4/11/14- Filly

Lotus (Palomino Pinto) due 5/1/14 - Colt

Coco (Bay ) due 7/7/14 - Filly- only bred Coco once and changed our minds as we didn't want a foal so late so did not follow up

we expected 3 - but nail says 4

we'll see if I remember to check after foaling

Lots of fillies for you Lori!!! Amanda, exciting!!! Can't wait to see the babies arrive.

I tried the nail test on my mare and a boarder's mare and got

Missy (my mare) - filly

Elle (boarder's mare)- the nail just spun, but didn't move in a circle motion OR back and forth so not sure what that means.

I also tested the gelding I have boarded.. didn't move! LOL.

The mares I have were running with a colt who is 2 or so before I bought mine and took the other as a boarder.. I am about 75 % sure Missy is bred and slightly less sure about Elle as she is a maiden and is not showing at all. Also not sure of when they would have been bred as they'd been running with the colt since last summer.

Latest posts

Back