Nail test on mares!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried again, seems to be clearly filly. Well, we will see about that. I hope it´s filly. Tried to other mare too, non-preg, nail did not move. Funny.

Did anyone see the post on FB with the mares tail at 9 mos and telling filly/colt from that I should have saved it

but would like to see it again

Last edited by a moderator:
Lori,

If the very top of your mare's tail is frizzy it's a filly or if it's straight and smooth it's a colt!

I didn't see it on FB but is this what you're thinking?

http://www.wikihow.com/Tell-the-Gender-of-a-Mare's-Unborn-Foal

My mare should be having a filly according to this and the nail test
default_smile.png

Frizzy tail, belly on left side, nail says filly. Ok, maybe we could have filly then? :D

I'll play! Did the nail test on Missy 2 months ago and got a colt 3 times!! Let's see!!

So both nail test and the hair on the tail test said colt!!! I'm really excited after having all fillies last year. Want that bouncing baby boy!!! But I'll settle for on the ground and healthy.

After reading this post, I had to go out and try it. I bred three mares, so I brought them each into the barn so there would be no wind. I asked my son who is 13 and my daughter who is 16 to come out to the barn with me. I explained what I was going to do and that I was skeptical. They looked at me like I was crazy. I told them I wanted to have each of us do the nail test individually and then share our results.

1. Grace-usually gets really big over winter and its hard to tell if she is bred. The nail didn't move for me, but both of my kids got "filly" Smooth hair on her tail.

2. Lady- all three of us got "colt" however the hair on her tail is NOT smooth. Its all ruffled up. (I am SOOOO hoping for a fewspot colt out of her to keep)

3. Feather- The nail barely moved for me at all, but all three of us got "filly" however she has smooth hair on her tail

It will be neat to find out if this "test" is accurate. If nothing else, it was fun to do!

How nice you could share this with your teens! I'm so concerned that as U.S. society moves farther and farther away from agriculture, that we will completely lose touch with anything natural.

We're starting to get some foals on this thread now.....teeheehee....so should start seeing results posted here!

have done the nail/ ring test several times on my mare now
default_smile.png
and every time I have got "filly" fingers crossed its telling the truth as I have her two yr old gelding that I have kept so I'd love a filly
default_smile.png

She is due in July/august so I have a little while to wait...

Latest posts

Back