Nail test on mares!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if I did it right, but two of our mares tested as pregnant, are actually open. Came into heat and was driving the stallions crazy.

Ok, I tried the string test, and I have 2, 2, and 2... Two fillies, two colts and two open (plus three I didn't try today).

Two oops: one strong filly (Caddy), one colt (Misty). Two planned; one tiny circle, filly (Showy), and one colt (Tana). Two open: Dolly and Bonny.

I also done the nail test and it said my mini was going to have a colt. Today she would be 361 days in foal and still nothing happening.

Hi Bailey - great to have you join us here.

Could you perhaps start your own topic/thread and tell us more about your little mare and her long pregnancy. Love to see a few pics as well.
default_yes.gif

Yes please Bailey. We look forward to hearing more about her. I had a mare who foaled like clockwork at 365 days each and every year. So, she may be just driving you crazy on purpose -- these mares are sneaky!

Hope you start a thread here, and post a few pictures, so we can see how she's doing!

Nevermind! Lol. I thought it was in the main forum but I was mistaken.

Last edited by a moderator:
We moved it here, so everyone could watch and comment without the thread getting lost! LOL

So, now you'll have to keep us updated. We can't wait!

Last edited:
nailtest for Star said filly. Belly was on left, saying filly. Upper tail hairs were grizzly, saiying filly(?). She had a colt. :D

I forgot to post my results too. I have 4 mares due this year. Buffy tested filly, Polly tested colt, Teaka tested colt, and Baile tested filly. I'm still waiting on Baile to foal (due in a few weeks), but Buffy had a filly, Polly had a filly (so it was not correct), and Teaka had a colt. So far it's 2 out of 3 correct for me.

Hi Hannah. The ring or nail test is a fun way to see whether a mare is preggers or not - correct results not guarenteed, but often suprisingly it works!

You need a ring (wedding ring) or a nail (something metal) tie it to a short length of string (approx 12") and when there is no wind blowng around, hold it suspended above mare's spine between or just in front of her hips, and wait. Hopefully after a short while the ring will start to move (make sure it is not your hand/arm moving!). The ring 'swinging' back and forth along the mare's spine means that she is expecting a colt, if it swings in a circle then a filly is on the way. If on the other hand it doesn't move at all, then she's not pregnant!

As I said just a bit of fun but something that a lot of us like to try each Spring - let us know your result if you decide to try.

Latest posts

Back