My very considerate mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enchantress

Reaction score
So I had one mare due to foal this year. I've been checking her every night to see if there are any changes, but not really "watching" her per se. My dad was home all day up until recently when he got a job working 2-10 pm and I don't get out of work until 4..to the barn by 4:30 so I figure my luck she'd foal in that little span.

Well I got home at 9 am this morning to this:

whitemilk56060900.jpg

It was thick, sticky and very yellow yesterday, so in spite of the fact that I needed grain today, I stuck around. She had the waxing, long vulva, jello butt..I KNEW it would be today.

Checked on her a few times, had a halter buzzer thingy on her with the intercom. Well about 12:50 I was just starting to make myself lunch and I got this "feeling" so I decided to check on her again before cooking. She was quite antsy so I hung around and took off her halter so the buzzing wouldn't annoy her.

12:54 she was down

12:59 water broke

1:00 the WHITE bubble! Thank goodness!

DCP02006.jpg

1:02 head is out. Only one leg forward. Seemed like FOREVER I waited indecisively deciding if I should mess with her or not.

DCP02009.jpg

1:03. Was it really only ONE minute?

DCP02012.jpg

1:05 mom was up and checking baby out.

DCP02014.jpg

1:22 we're up!

DCP02029.jpg

2:01 we found the buffet table. I had already syringed some colostrum just to be sure.

Look at me go! Wow these things work great!

DCP02034.jpg

Aww mom, whatcha doing down there!

DCP02048.jpg

He pooped about 4 pm.

And the proud papa. MAN having a baby is hard work!

DCP02049.jpg

Everyone else thought so too!!

The gray stud is just borrowing the storage stall since it's SOOO buggy out. But he's so lazy he figured he might as well rest and eat at the same time. All he's missing is a tv remote (hehe)

DCP01998.jpg

DCP02044.jpg

DCP02043.jpg

DCP01994.jpg

DCP01993.jpg

And it's exactly what I ordered a BUCKSKIN/DUN COLT!!! And he even has a star! :bgrin Wondering where the star came from as both parents are solid. Oh well, I'll definitely take it! :aktion033:

I'm SO glad I was there though, because I don't think he would have made it out of the sack. I had a hard time breaking it (maybe I SHOULDN'T have cut my nails?)

I've already convinced myself that he would be for sale..even advertised a little just so I wouldn't get too attached so we'll see how THAT goes.

It's definitely been a day of firsts!

My FIRST mini foal

my stallions FIRST foal ever

The FIRST foal I've ever actually seen born. We bred Morgans from 1988-2000 and they were just sneaky little beggers.

And of course, all made possible by my ever so accommodating mare.

I just would like to make note that

1. I didn't miss ANY sleep

2. I wasn't up til all hours of the day (nothing better than a nice sunny afternoon!)

3. She conveniently foaled on a weekend so I could be there for the birth.

4. She gave me enough warning to make sure everything was ready, cut my nails, wash and dry some towels, and make her a nice warm mash

BIG HUGS FOR HER! And her warm beet pulp mash of course!

Man is she in for it! He is such a little pistol and when he gets frusterated and can't find the spigots he'll turn around and kick at her. He noticed me in the corner and came running over just in time to turn around and kick at me. Sheesh! And to think I WANTED a little colt!

I hope the rest of the horses can forgive me for them having to go with half their grain rations tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on a beautiful colt :aktion033: She was certainly considerate having him on a weekend and during the daytime. So glad you got what you wanted. My darling mare, who has always been a day time foaler decided to foal at four a.m. this morning.
default_wacko.png
:

WoW! I'll give you a standing ovation, you watched, you listened to your inner voice, you had a CAMERA READY, you kept calm and you got what you asked for. Very good job, very nice colt! Congratulations!! Did you go get your feed?
default_wacko.png
:

GREAT PHOTOS!!!! Thanks for sharing.......oh and your little mare also was nice enough NOT to push that baby out against a WALL!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Love the photo of your little guy doing his first dance.
default_wub.png
:

MA

WOW! :new_shocked: :new_shocked: BEAUTIFUL COLT! I LOVE that mare too!
default_wub.png
:
default_yes.gif
:

I wish my mares would have been considerate like yours. Mine so far have had them between 1:30am and 4:30am :new_shocked: and MANY SLEEPLESS NIGHTS!
default_wacko.png
: Boy, talk about being tired at work. :eek:
default_smile.png
I have one more here to foal and last year she was considerate and foaled a *:00pm so we will see if she does it again this year. :bgrin

Oh, GREAT PICTURES TOO!

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Jeri

[SIZE=14pt]Mare and foal are gorgeous! Wasnt that nice of her to be so timely![/SIZE]

Lyn

Congratulations on your new colt and what good pictures you got of the birth. They are great for "newbies" to foaling to see. Nice looking boy.

Joyce

Congrats on that beautiful colt!! I really like mom too, what a beauty.

Just giving you my "formal" congrats! :aktion033:

He's a handsome one! :flirt:

Congratulations!!!! The pictures are awesome - thank you for sharing them!!!!!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

Congratulations on your new baby. He is beautiful. Your mare is gorgeous. There is just something about that dorsal stripe that is so striking. Your pics were wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

:aktion033: :aktion033:

Jen,

Congratulations :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

What a way to get started with a nice easy afternoon delivery! He is cute. Is this your Futurity baby?

Mark

Thanks guys for all your kind words. I like him, but, of course, I'm a bit partial since I bred him. I gotta tell ya, after 4 years of the Morgans not conceiving, I NEEDED this guy! He's still a little pistol, up and doing great, eating TONS. I was a little concerned since it was so cold last night, so that was my first sleepless night getting up every couple hours and making sure he wasn't shivering. I had blankets over the stall to keep out the cold air, but it was down to 40° with a bitter wind. Mom was at day 336. He's approximately 22" tall with approximately an 8.25" cannon bone. He just won't stand still long enough to really tell.
default_smile.png

She was only about 2' from the wall and of course she decided she wanted to have him in the area with no bedding. Go figure. The rest of her stall is heavily bedded with shavings and hay, and she's a very neat mare always pooping in the back so I always leave it bare. He doesn't seem any the worse for wear though and is VERY full of himself and into everything.

I think he's going to be a dun like momma since he has the dorsal, but we'll see when he loses the baby fuzz.

Mark, yes this guy is nominated for the MMHC and the AMHR futurities.

There are more pics of his birth/unfolding and some new dry fuzzy pics from this morning on my website.

Turbo

Latest posts

Back